• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coil over vs tortional rear suspension

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Chadly said:
Is that a Z motion or Tom's new piece? Last time I spoke with him he told me he was working on a rear billet piece similar to the Z motion.

Yes it is the Z motion, probably not needed, but thought I’d give it a shot. I had it installed from last season when I had the traditional stock suspension installed. I like to to keep the front end playful and have more travel in the front arm, so I let the limiter out one hole and trying it with the Zmotion installed. Seemed to work great this past Sunday.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I am waiting for Tom's new piece for my 154. Apparently his won't take any drilling or extra brackets. I went ahead and installed the ARC on my turbo 165 to try. Either way both my sleds need something to keep the front end down that doesn't involve sucking the limiter strap way up. I wish someone had a sled around here with the Z motion I could try. :face-icon-small-con

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Chadly didn’t you own one of Rasmussen old sleds? How does TOMS kit compare to the Rasmussen setup.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Chadly didn’t you own one of Rasmussen old sleds? How does TOMS kit compare to the Rasmussen setup.

I did. I gave all the RCS titanium stuff away. Bret rides an extremely stiff suspension. I also had Tony's red sled that was featured in Snowest. Tony's set up was better but still too stiff. I never cared for either of their set ups. Bret and Tony are so anti air shock that I honestly don't think Fox could pay them enough to say something good about them. I prefer a soft suspension and think air shocks are the only way to go. I have never had a single one fail on me (knock on wood). I ride 50 times a year so I ride more than most people and have a lot of miles on Fox Evols. I just had the same wheelie problems everyone else did climbing extremely steep terrain. Hopefully I can get that figured out this season!

W
Feb 27, 2008
Lake Tahoe
wheelie control

I do have Tom's rear suspension on my 163 t3, as I have with multiple past sleds, it is the best upgrade there is. I do tighten the limiter strap for hill climbs in spring/firm conditions.

F
Oct 20, 2016
Lots of good info!

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm having hell with the sled darting around on climb's when crossing ski ruts and also having hell with it side-hilling (keeps washing out). I'm guessing all the above options will fix this?

165 Summit X, Munster Ski Bushings, Zbros Lockout Bushings. The suspension is stock.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Lots of good info!

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm having hell with the sled darting around on climb's when crossing ski ruts and also having hell with it side-hilling (keeps washing out). I'm guessing all the above options will fix this?

165 Summit X, Munster Ski Bushings, Zbros Lockout Bushings. The suspension is stock.

...ski location? Was it hard to side hill prior to the lock out?

Ace

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I would check...
-ski location. Should be in narrowest setting.
-tortion block settting on
-limiter sucked up one hole.
-handlebar location. Move a little more forward so your foot placement moves forward.
-Front shocks setting. Little less than more.

Try those.

Ace

Premium Features