• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

left hand throttle

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Goldfinger, first mod I do to any sled, just make sure you're smart enough to use one ;) If not you probably shouldn't have one...

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
There is only one situation where a Left hand throttle is necessary/worth the headache they create and that is: You don't have a right hand. (I ride with that guy)

Otherwise there's a reason that all of us that had them 10 years ago no longer do. They promote poor riding technique, cause sled run-ability issues, and are flat dangerous due to inadvertent grabs or stuck throttle because you have a section of cable exposed to the elements that shouldn't be. I've literally been far closer than I care to admit to spending the night because we could not make a sled run with the left handed throttle on two different occasions. Forunately, now we have a better understanding of the TSS and how to bypass it but still just a headache I never care to deal with again.

Not telling you how to spend your money just saying personally I would pack that $100 bill as a fire starter before I would spend it on a left hand throttle.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
If you can't use your right hand. Couldn't a guy flip the trottle block over to the left side. Not sure how easy it would be with the switches and wiring harness tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Left hand throttles worked on the old trailing arm sleds, definately not needed or recomended on the newer chassis!
The throttle pull is so easy on the cat, if u can grab the bar, u can pull the throttle. Also that leaves ur left hand available for the brake, a very important function....

Mountain Cat

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
For those of us with disabilities a left hand throttle is pretty much a requirement. In my case I have severe muscle atrophy in my right hand, caused by MMN (Multifocal Motor Neuropathy).

I've been using the Gold Finger on my last several sleds and I like it because the trigger has a return spring in it. You can also also install a lock out pin to disable it as well.

Riding with a LHT does require practice though and probably the most important thing to remember, is to not ride with your finger on the left trigger unless you are actually using it to work the throttle. In other words do not rest your finger on the trigger!

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Goldfinger, first mod I do to any sled, just make sure you're smart enough to use one ;) If not you probably shouldn't have one...

X2. I don't use it much but I really notice when I don't have one.

And yes it has an idiot lockout mechanism.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Most of you guys are pointing out problems with a left hand throttle that piggy backs onto a stock one, with cables on both sides.

It sounds like just a left hand throttle and nothing else is what he's after.

Other than doing double duty with the brake, I don't see any problem with that at all. There's got to be an aftermarket block that works well on the left side.

As long as you can clear the brake (not a small task with these things), this looks like it would work

http://www.rsiracing.com/ARCTIC-CAT-BILLET-THROTTLE-BLOCK_p_88.html

Last edited:
Premium Features