• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To cut, or not cut.. that is the question

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Does anyone know if you can purchase just the tin on the belt cover.. We can get some clips and mount belt to it.. Then take it out for a fe good pulls and measure belt temp with it and with out.. All with out a big expense

I will do the on/off a dozen times in a row.. See if it can get better than first time

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Cut my cover on the line then went to town with a hole saw. Swiss cheesed it. Should have lots of cool air now with the vent kit i have also.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Can you post a picture of what you mean?

Also, are you saying to take out the foam and felt inside the cvt cover but leave the foam that's inside the side panel itself?

Thanks.

No photos, take all the foam out of the side doors engine bay etc. it holds water and is only there for noice dampening, also i take all the foam out of the clutch area, basically no foam in my machines, on the can side I replace it with just metal tape in the same areas where the metal tape was on the foam, I cut the small area that has a foam piece on it on the back side near the left foot well. and remove all felt and foam out of the cvt cover, I also remove the felt between engine and clutches. putting holes in the cvt cover other than the one that is done on the 2018 and that was shown to be done on the 2017 is a waste, it does not help infect it make the vortex work less of evacuating the heat out through the left foot well. and to answer the funny quote from 24.sledhead cool air is not sucked into the left foot well it comes from the front venting and anyone who knows pressure knows that if you place a fan shooting out a window , your home will suck air from somewhere as the air evacuates out, it has to, this is why you have to do the pressure properly as if you don't it can suck it from your fire place and bring the soot in across your carpet, that how strong pressure can be. The CVT guard works. If it did not then ski-doo would scrape it, guys are first to say a manufacture cheap out on stuff, well then why would they spend millions of dalliers designing and putting on a cvt cover if they thought it was a waste? It does not help with dampening sound. Again someone has offered to do a test, if that is they way stuff was tested, we should all be very worried. Like I said if you know better then by all means take it out, but I am telling you what the test show and prove. It works... You might not like the answer but that is the answer

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Well Dave you can pick on me if you want, I don’t really care. There was Zero negativity meant, if you took it that way I can’t help that. I also admit I miss read your earlier post.

I’d still like to know where the cool air is coming from, when the front grill is clogged? Since my front grill is always plugged solid. 18 175 X by the way. Which is acting about the same as my 17 for temps. Still ALL stock.

My supposed negative feedback comes from the feeling of being lied to year after year, yet not really seeing some of the results. I’d think you could understand some frustration in that regard.

Cheers

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
No photos, take all the foam out of the side doors engine bay etc. it holds water and is only there for noice dampening, also i take all the foam out of the clutch area, basically no foam in my machines, on the can side I replace it with just metal tape in the same areas where the metal tape was on the foam, I cut the small area that has a foam piece on it on the back side near the left foot well. and remove all felt and foam out of the cvt cover, I also remove the felt between engine and clutches. putting holes in the cvt cover other than the one that is done on the 2018 and that was shown to be done on the 2017 is a waste, it does not help infect it make the vortex work less of evacuating the heat out through the left foot well. and to answer the funny quote from 24.sledhead cool air is not sucked into the left foot well it comes from the front venting and anyone who knows pressure knows that if you place a fan shooting out a window , your home will suck air from somewhere as the air evacuates out, it has to, this is why you have to do the pressure properly as if you don't it can suck it from your fire place and bring the soot in across your carpet, that how strong pressure can be. The CVT guard works. If it did not then ski-doo would scrape it, guys are first to say a manufacture cheap out on stuff, well then why would they spend millions of dalliers designing and putting on a cvt cover if they thought it was a waste? It does not help with dampening sound. Again someone has offered to do a test, if that is they way stuff was tested, we should all be very worried. Like I said if you know better then by all means take it out, but I am telling you what the test show and prove. It works... You might not like the answer but that is the answer

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the guidance.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
So they spend millions developing a cvt cover that works and one year later decide to drill a big hole in it(apparently this was over looked in the millions spent designing). But that hole is perfect and any other holes and it wont work.

I could see if this was a totally enclosed system with ducting to pull in ambient air across the clutchs and exhaust it back outside. With the backside exposed and wide open to the engine bay how vortex"y" can it be. With this fancy cover my clutchs are hotter than my rev,xp, and xm as on those sleds I took the cover off and did alot of venting around the primary.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yep, well about a dozen post in, and another advice thread turns into a pissing and moaning contest....great:face-icon-small-fro

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
A snowmobile that's operated in the dead of winter, in freezing cold temps and the clutches run hot hmmmm. Just seems like there should be a solution out there somewhere. And millions spent on r&d.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Had the 18 G4 out today ditch banging, also had the 15 t3 impulse turbo out.. Took a few primary and second temps with heat gun between the two sleds.. Not much load on sleds but it constantly showed 5 degrees colder with 15 impulse kit..

The impulse t3 is just the tin with plastic removed with lots of little holes in it and air holes on front plastic as well on side panels for cooling.. Outside temp was -13c

Breakin down to 88 percent

image.jpeg

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
It does not do that, your posts are mostly negative. Sorry that you don't get it. Cut it off if you believe that to be the best, I can't stop you from that. I have seen some of your other posts on Dootalk etc, you might be an awesome sledder but that does not translate into giving others advice that is not correct. It is the biggest issue with these forums lately, guys saying what they think is an issue or problems, which in fact has nothing to do with a particular issue. I know it comes from ego, but again it does not help the majority.

This is why you can't listen to norona or other sponsored riders. We used to do videos a be sponsored biggest problem I had was taking free parts and sticking up for companies who won't take care of the customers. If ski-doo wants you to cut the clutch cover then ski-doo can send out a new clutch cover under warenty. Just take care of your customers & fix the issues that are causing the heat. Don't just let other people try and sell people on bandaids. Thies forums are good for people to talk with other owners not sponsored puppets. Just speaking from experience with sponsors, I won't sell or indorse a product I don't believe in or give factory persuaded advice. When people spend 12,000+ $ on a sled they deserve a good working functioning snowmobile. If it doesn't work as advertised people have a reason to be negative and demanding for a real fix. Norona most people on thies forums get what your about. You can't control what people say on SW this is to help all snowmobile riders in the end not push products and or force opinions. Not everyone wants a DIY fix my dad owns a 17 850 die hard skidoo guy believes the dealer should take care of his issues. Me on the other hand doesn't want some1 from the dealer to touch or PDI my sled. But every1 should get there own opinion and at least get a phone call from there dealer to go over real fixes & options. Thank you for admitting the clutch cover moves a lot of air and is not the cause of heat. Now every1 needs to call there dealer and ask for a real fix. Do not cut the cover Ski-Doo needs to fix there clutching issues. Dave said it himself as a factory rep ski-doo did a lot of r&d cluch cover works or they would scrap it. Must be something else causing the the excessive heat & belt failure send skidoo an e-mail and demand a fix for the clutching not a bandaid.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rode the deepest snow, today, that I have rode in 8 or 10 years. I was literally spitting snow out of my mouth a couple of times. I didn't cut the clutch cover. I didn't pull any foam out. I didn't hardly shut the sled off. I didn't cool the belt off. Still original belt. Sometimes I think you could sell snow to snowmobilers if it was on the internet.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Under Hood Insulation

What is the general consensus regarding removing this particular piece of insulation under the hood?

I'm not asking to debate about opening things up or not, I've already made that decision. The rest of the foam and cardboard-ish insulation is gone. I'm just wondering if this piece should be included?

underHoodRotated.jpg

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
What is the general consensus regarding removing this particular piece of insulation under the hood?

I'm not asking to debate about opening things up or not, I've already made that decision. The rest of the foam and cardboard-ish insulation is gone. I'm just wondering if this piece should be included?
I removed and added 2 layers of reflective heart tape on the underside of the airbox. No issues after 400 miles last year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Premium Features