• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where Electronic Devices Go to Die, and Be Reborn

H
Dec 24, 2013
of people are today enjoying new electronic devices, becoming familiar with a tablet, phone, PC, or television that was waiting under the tree. But just as this year’s bounty displaces a generation of older devices, so too will these new toys eventually be made to seem obsolete. They will reside in a box in the garage for a while. Then one day, during spring cleaning perhaps, it will be time to go.
Consumers have a number of options for unwanted electronics—particularly mobile devices that still have some residual value and can be re-sold. But recycling is typically the only choice for older, bulkier electronics such as TVs and computers. Packed with hazardous materials, most e-waste is no longer accepted at landfills. Recycling it is a complex process.
We recently visited Total Reclaim, a large electronics recycler in Seattle, to learn about the un-building of our gadgets. It’s the largest of eight processing facilities around the state that participates in E-Cycle Washington, a 5-year-old program that offers handling of obsolete devices,
pcb board paid for by their manufacturers under a 2006 state law. The program has handled more than 200 million pounds of e-waste, diverting it from landfills and ensuring that it isn’t shipped overseas to places with lax environmental and safety standards.

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Thanks for the RE-MINDER, spring clean before the GOOD snow comes:crazy: welcome here ???? l<>l & KLAN !!!!!

T
Mar 12, 2014
This is too good acknowledgment about electronic recycling procedure and how the companies most of e-waste recycling companies work. E-waste disposal is necessary for us to maintain balance in environment. I am glad to read this epic post.

N
Jun 3, 2014
I have been recycling my electronic scrap for quite some time now. Sims in Redwood City is a decent scrap yard and takes electronics as well as house hold appliances. It is the best way to deal with old electronics especially since we are facing somewhat of an environmental crisis and the rate at which technology is developing is downright overwhelming.

Premium Features