• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 M8 stator issues

W
Feb 25, 2014
I have a 2007 M8 that I am finally finding time to work on. Beginning of this season I fired it up to ride around the house and discovered it has no lights, no bar warmers and would not engage reverse. Today I pulled apart the plug coming off the lighting coil on the stator (two yellow wire and one brown) and did a quick resistance test. The manual says operating range is .8-.12 ohms. My digital multimeter says 0 resistance when I plug the probes into the plug on the two yellow wires. To me this indicates a short, but beyond that I don't know what this means for the stator. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
check your probes on the meter to make sure the meter and or probes have conductivity. most of the headlights and hand warmers are on the same output so if you have a short in the hand warmers (most likely) will kill the output on this circuit.

W
Feb 25, 2014
The probes on the meter check out just fine. I also measured voltage from the lighting coil. With someone pulling the recoil briskly I did not get a voltage reading higher than 60 millivolts (manual says it should be 5-8 volts). It appears that the lighting coil of the stator is not putting out any power.

Checked country cat and a new stator is around 600 dollars. I've heard of people getting stators rewound, any recommendations on where to get that done?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
pretty sure i have one from a 500 mile motor i parted for 175 pm if your interested ansd ill check today

Premium Features