• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight driveshaft 2018

J

Jooohan87

Aug 28, 2011
Anyone tried a 2018 with the lighter shafts and compared it to the early release 2018? Felt any difference?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
lighter shafts

I have not heard any are available yet. From what I've read it will be a removal of over 6 lbs of roatating mass, that will be a huge difference making the sled even quicker. I am looking forward to trying one next winter before purchasing a 19 model year.

J

Jooohan87

Aug 28, 2011
Yeah its really great diet, thats why it would be great to hear anyone that have tried one with the lighter shafts and get a review

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
I am hoping that this wont be a weak point on the sled. We all know how well the hollow drive shaft on some of the other brands has worked out.

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I am hoping that this wont be a weak point on the sled. We all know how well the hollow drive shaft on some of the other brands has worked out.

Those break where the aluminum is glued to the cast. If this is a single piece shaft made out of aluminum there shouldn't be any issues. I havent heard of a single broken shaft that the actual aluminum broke. Not saying there havent been a few but its not a widespread issue. Cat has a strong shaft design as it is I am betting no issues.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
aluminum would be good if its like the one on the XPs ive seen. many thousands of miles, ive never seen a failure. Im sure those are hollow, they are huge diameter like a polaris. I dont think it would do much for rotational weight in that design tho, as the weight is farther out on the radius.
strictly dead weight, a couple pounds off would be good on the proclimb when lifting it around, no doubt.
if its a mimmick of the steel shaft, just in aluminum, id stick with steel. just me maybe

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
good news is if the new shaft is junk we dont need a "fix collar " as the 17 shaft is proven and plentiful.

Premium Features