• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Please help

J
Mar 17, 2017
Have a 12 144 assault 800 , always had a slight bog at 7000 that came and went , while riding 2 days ago fresh snow it bogged at 6k wouldn't go over 6-6200 no power just sounds like sh!t , I have checked power valves , checked tps . 4.3 . Checked wireing , sled idles fine ,no engine light , just won't make power past 6k , really fustrated here :face-icon-small-fro

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Check plugs and wires. Try a fresh set of plugs. I had a set that looked great, but wont run AT ALL.

Also look into the voltage regulator. When mine started to go, it would get a mid-range bog, and then one day, for absolutely no reason at all, the sled would not rev over 6250-6600 rpm, and then wouldn't run at all.

If you have over 1000 miles and haven't replaced it, look into the fuel filter.

Primary spring could also be the culprit.

These machines are finicky little bitches.

J
Mar 17, 2017
Ok on voltage regulator, 2 yellow wires reading 5.80-6 2 orange same reading , bigger red wire reading 14.3 at idle , do that sound right ?

J
Mar 17, 2017
I actually tried that first , I'm woundering would u see a broken clutch spring mine is blue is that factory ? How's free should fuel filter be ? What about these 4 holes I keep hearing about in the power valves ? I haven't checked reeds idk how to get lower air box off didn't wanna brake it , what rpm does 2nd injectors come on , thanks for helping me out

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
To get the lower airbox off, pull the seat and the tank. 4 bolts, 2 fuel lines with quick disconnects, and the fuel pump electrical connector.

Pull the driven clutch, move the oil tank, and remove the clutch shield.

To get the box out, there are two hose clamps that hold it in place.

To get it out is about a 30 min job. Everything comes apart very easily.

Depending on how many miles you have on the sled. Look into a set of V Force 3 reeds, or some reed petal replacements as long as you're in there.

Make sure you loctite the reed pedals back into place. You don't want one of those little bolts going through your engine.

Fuel filter should be replaced every 1000 miles or so.

My factory clutch spring is black.

The power valves themselves have a set of holes that go into the cylinder to get the exhaust pressure to open the bellows when the solenoid is closed. If those holes are clogged with soot\carbon, you can clean them out with a very small drill bit. DO NOT PUT THE DRILL BIT INTO A DRILL.

You're gonna be looking at about a 4mm hole that tapers down to a 2mm or so opening.

You can also blow them out with some compressed air.

When you remove the power valve, you will see the holes.

J
Mar 17, 2017
Ok so I have taken everything off and checked it all , reeds are v force they look brand new , the exhaust valves are free and clear , clutch spring is fine , i honestly don't know where else to look , would injector troubles fire off a code ? Idk where else to look , I checked filter the other day it seemed free enough, or maybe it's not , I was hoping to find a bad reed or something that would cause my problem I'm told these sleds don't come with a tether ? Mine has one , I uses one of the small unused plugs by the clutch cover for power for my air/fuel gauge but I have had that installed for a while and wasn't a issue :face-icon-small-con

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Ok...

Look into your EGT probe. Make sure it specs out. It's possible it could be out of tolerance.

So with the fuel controller. You may want to look into adding fuel in the boggy areas to see if that helps clear up the issue. It's possible you could be running lean.

If that doesn't help.

You might want to try subtracting small amounts of fuel at a time.

J
Mar 17, 2017
I dont think it's engine istself , how would adding fuel be the issue , it don't run fine then out of nowhere need more fuel I will check pins but I'm pretty sure I did look and they were ok but will double check , what Is process of checking probe ?

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
OHM meter.

Check resistance with the sled off.

Check resistance with the sled at idle

Check resistance with the sled at about 3000 RPM with the back end raised.

It should change based on different EGT's.

I'm trying to find the specs...

You can also do this out of the sled with an OHM meter and a heat source.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I dont think it's engine istself , how would adding fuel be the issue , it don't run fine then out of nowhere need more fuel I will check pins but I'm pretty sure I did look and they were ok but will double check , what Is process of checking probe ?

I get that you don't think it's the engine.

However if you haven't checked......... it might be worth the time.....
It is an rktek product after all. :)

J
Mar 17, 2017
I will do leak down and test egt tom , just checked pins in plug and harness they look good tweeked the injector pins just to be sure

Premium Features