• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Post 18 ride reports here!!

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
Teth air, I think you would like the the feel of the 17 mountain cat as well it's even different from the 16 and 17 non mountain cats. 18 is much better. Everyone has there preference it's worth a test ride if nothing else. It's funny the way you describe how the 16 feels is how I would describe the axys. I always feel like the axys is more planted and doesn't roll as easily but holds on to steeper side hills better. Obviously suspension set up, snow conditions, etc. play a part.
Just a heads up for guys around MT, Granite Sportland out of Phillipsburg, MT will be doing some demo rides.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Some feedback on 18 800

Special thanks to Allsports in Grand Junction and Arctic Cat for setting up demo for us to try out.
I've owned 11pro and 14cat. Demo many.

Clutch engagement is at pretty low rpm. And very smooth. The new clutch pulls thru the power band and was just very responsive.
The differences in side hilling and carving on their new 18 was significant. I felt very able to make maneuvers easily.
I'm excited about the engine, it ran very well, starts easily and seemed a bit quieter than the stock Suzuki but... Maybe that was just my ear.
Panels are easy to remove and things seem to fit a bit better too. Plastic seemed different, maybe better?

I am also impressed with the capability of the sled. I'm no pro or sponsored rider, I get in at least 30 days a year, usually more, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I personally liked the 153 more than 162. It was not an especially deep day, warm snowpack with about a foot over (also wet) but good snow.
I think it is a lot of sled with the 162 but performed nicely. 153 is plenty for me!
I thought it was the nicest cat I've been on and really enjoyed riding it.

Let me try to get a pic up...

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Hoping to ride one this coming Sunday. Went up and saw a 162 on the show room floor. Very impressed. Best Cat I've seen in years! Measured a 2016 XM at it's widest point and then the new Cat. New Cat is 4" narrower. I guess that would mean it's the same as a G4, right? Anyone know what the Axis is for body width at it's widest point in front of the running boards? Just curious. I am looking forward to trying this sled out and I can't wait to see what they come up with for Snow Check options. I might have the first Cat in my trailer since the 92' EXT 580 mtn. cat. later this year.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I believe the Axys is right around 4-5" narrower than the G4 at the front of the running board. Not sure about widest body point.

Also had a chance to look at one on the showroom floor. The body work is SOOOO much better... it actually makes sense. I too am looking forward to seeing what the snow check models have to offer. Belt drive sure would be nice :eyebrows:

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I measured my 09 M8. Widest point is at running boards. 31"
Measured my 850. Widest point is running boards. 34"
Measured brother in laws 12 pro. 29" at running boards. Plastics are more wide than running boards but did not measure.
I was a little worried about the 850 as it is pretty wide, but have not had any issues sidehilling where I did on the M8.
My dad and brother have 14 cats but have not measured.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
And the skis do not cut into or auger into the snow like previous models.

The frame, a-arms, spindles and everything else are the same on this thing right?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I measured my 09 M8. Widest point is at running boards. 31"
Measured my 850. Widest point is running boards. 34"
Measured brother in laws 12 pro. 29" at running boards. Plastics are more wide than running boards but did not measure.
I was a little worried about the 850 as it is pretty wide, but have not had any issues sidehilling where I did on the M8.
My dad and brother have 14 cats but have not measured.

I didn't measure the running boards since I was more worried about the panels. I just measured my old Pro that I sold to my friend since it is sitting in my shop. I measured it and it's about 35" to 36" at the widest point. That would be at the back of the panels at the foot well or the at the back of the shock tower. I would say the cat was 34" consistently smooth from front to back. I still think the Doo boards are too wide. About an inch more than needed up front.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yes. Bulkhead is likely a bit different due to narrower panels and motor

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So you've basically got the mountain cat with some different plastics and motor.

Why do you think the skis weren't knifing in as much? Weight distribution of the motor? Sidepanels not dragging them down?

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
So you've basically got the mountain cat with some different plastics and motor.

Why do you think the skis weren't knifing in as much? Weight distribution of the motor? Sidepanels not dragging them down?
Yes, they are calling the mountain cat the ascender platform. The rear shock is 1 1/8 longer also, and I'm sure there are some other changes. I think the biggest factor is the attack angle of the track. It keeps more track on the ground further forward, thus putting less pressure on skis. There is also far less friction on the side panels when in a side hill, which I'm sure helps. I don't think I have all of the answers for you, as I don't engineer the machines, I just ride them! I really do urge you to demo one though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana

If you watch the snowest video, interviewing the the cat tech guy, there is a number of small changes to the bulkhead and front suspension geometry. It's not touched on in full detail but there is differences. The front suspension changes help with sidhilling and the bulkhead changes are primarily around the new motor and plastic. With all the small changes I'm not sure fitting the new plastic on the 17 and older sleds will be a simple swap. The oil tank and belt guard are different also.

So to go back to your original question, no the 18 chassis is not exactly the same as the 17 MC.

Hopefully someone will post a link to that snowest interview.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

my guess is he is comparing to a standard model not the '17 MC.
with all the changes in 18, i think this might be the year a lot of folks say "when cats finally got good".
We will just have to blow some minds when we can hang with the competition on our "old chassis"

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
my guess is he is comparing to a standard model not the '17 MC.
with all the changes in 18, i think this might be the year a lot of folks say "when cats finally got good".
We will just have to blow some minds when we can hang with the competition on our "old chassis"

No I was thinking of the MC since that's kind of the current year standard. I haven't ridden a mountain cat yet though. What carlc was saying about the repositioned track taking weight off the skis makes sense. I was only thinking of the front end, not what effect the dropped case may be having on the front end.

Cruising downhill in tight trees I get tossed still on my 16 ltd when the skis auger under and won't stay on top. I feel like I have to fight to keep the skis up when I go to initiate a turn. I guess I hadn't thought that the mc would be much different......maybe it is.

But my point still stands. As far as chassis handling goes I still haven't seen too many changes from an MC build in this new one beyond the plastics. Maybe Cat will get more detailed on what Chewy is referencing. So yeah, right now it still looks like a mountain cat with a new motor and yammy plastics.

Last edited:
J
Jan 7, 2016
If you watch the snowest video, interviewing the the cat tech guy, there is a number of small changes to the bulkhead and front suspension geometry. It's not touched on in full detail but there is differences. The front suspension changes help with sidhilling and the bulkhead changes are primarily around the new motor and plastic. With all the small changes I'm not sure fitting the new plastic on the 17 and older sleds will be a simple swap. The oil tank and belt guard are different also.

So to go back to your original question, no the 18 chassis is not exactly the same as the 17 MC.

Hopefully someone will post a link to that snowest interview.

Just watched the vid. It sure sounds like the new 2018 is a 2017 MC with new plastic and new motor. I wouldn't call it new chassis if you need to add a new hole to fasten a new piece of plastic. And the front end sounds to be the same as the 2016 release, in the vid they guys very vague as to any changes.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The changes they made to the clutching makes a bigger difference than you might think. That roller bearing in the primary gives it a super smooth off/on the throttle with a super low engagement. And with the engagement being that low is still doesn't hiccup with the great bottom end power and crispness of the new motor. It really makes the throttle modulation much more predictable.

Premium Features