• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pDrive CLUTCH... DISCUSSION... TUNING, CLICKERS, FLYWEIGHTS... PHOTOS AND VIDEOS.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
For those curious on how the P drive clutch works on current 2015-16 ETEC motors, it does offer some different characteristics then the TRA.
Tuning is simple and straightforward. Mechanical advantages will definitely be obtainable.

PDrive clutch 001.jpg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
For those curious on how the P drive clutch works on current 2015-16 ETEC motors, it does offer some different characteristics then the TRA.
Tuning is simple and straightforward. Mechanical advantages will definitely be obtainable.

Absolutely!!!

Does the P-Drive have the same taper as the current Etec's?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Absolutely!!!

Does the P-Drive have the same taper as the current Etec's?

Only on this years race sled. We are currently running it on a 2015 Summit 154 2.5" track,(pictured above) and have had it on a 2016 Summit T3 154. Once our good snow goes, we will begin earnestly dyno testing in house.
The Gen 4 clutch has a different taper

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
p-drive clutch

I wonder if this clutch will bolt on the older 800 e-tecs? Has anyone purchased one and tried it yet? It may be worth doing if the clutch works like they say

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I wonder if this clutch will bolt on the older 800 e-tecs? Has anyone purchased one and tried it yet? It may be worth doing if the clutch works like they say

We have been running it on both a 2015 154", and a 2016 163". It works well. There are some positive benefits to the overall clutching.
Tough to get them though, you can only go through the race dept.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
We have been running it on both a 2015 154", and a 2016 163". It works well. There are some positive benefits to the overall clutching.
Tough to get them though, you can only go through the race dept.

I wonder if they will be available from skidoo since the 850 taper Is different

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
SHR has one and is testing on stockers and BBs...

clutches are tough to get, but results are positive...

we doo offer a LW mod and our new oil lite spring cup together really perk up the TRA7...BJ

UPDATE-
with currant available parts...

170/300 spring (softest available)
600rs ramp/arm
22 grams additional weight per arm
clicker #1
42 cam
2014 SHR800 summit

engagement 5200
early shift rpm 8200
200-300' out to 1000' rpm 8050

good for snow drags, needs a 46/42 cam

for trail/mountain the race PDrive NEEDS new ramp/arm...BJ

UPDATE-
clicker position dictates "feel" of motor...similar to clickers on TRA...lower clickers shifts faster/less revy, higher clickers shifts
slower/revvier...you can even use a certain clicker position to get the feel you want and then add/subtract weight in pin to get desired peak rpm...BJ

G
Apr 23, 2008
Rube Goldberg is alive and well . He has spent many hours designing this complex version of a mousetrap.

all kidding aside, its nice to see Olav Aaens concepts being put to use...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
BJ,

I'm assuming you are talking about a Pdrive with the 600RS weights installed?

Did you get a 2016 Pdrive or a 2015 and modded it with 2016 clicker setups?

Can you clarify exactly what you are talking about here?

Can you post pics of the Clicker pivots (aka 'pins') with the additional weight?

I've heard of some new weights in the works that will allow weight to be positioned a different points on the flyweight (tip, mid) in addition to weighting the pivot (effectivly the heel of the flyweight )...

attachment.php

picture.php

UPDATE-
with currant available parts...

170/300 spring (softest available)
600rs ramp/arm
22 grams additional weight per arm
clicker #1
42 cam
2014 SHR800 summit

engagement 5200
early shift rpm 8200
200-300' out to 1000' rpm 8050

good for snow drags, needs a 46/42 cam

for trail/mountain the race PDrive NEEDS new ramp/arm...BJ

UPDATE-
clicker position dictates "feel" of motor...similar to clickers on TRA...lower clickers shifts faster/less revy, higher clickers shifts
slower/revvier...you can even use a certain clicker position to get the feel you want and then add/subtract weight in pin to get desired peak rpm...BJ

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
That massive 80mm stroke will have a learning curve all to itself in terms of clutch tuning.

It will be interesting to see what evolves from the good tuners next year as the sleds and these new pDrive clicker-clutches get into their hands... and the products ...both good and "snake oil" get put out there.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
BJ,

I'm assuming you are talking about a Pdrive with the 600RS weights installed? yes

Did you get a 2016 Pdrive or a 2015 and modded it with 2016 clicker setups? only a 2016 (no 2015s) they have clickers stock, same as 2017 mountain, 2017 trail sleds will not have clickers

Can you clarify exactly what you are talking about here? the same thing high lighted in your pic, the adj pin is your weight and what you loosen first to adjust clickers

Can you post pics of the Clicker pivots (aka 'pins') with the additional weight? same as your pic below

I've heard of some new weights in the works that will allow weight to be positioned a different points on the flyweight (tip, mid) in addition to weighting the pivot (effectivly the heel of the flyweight )... maybe, but with clickers and mid point weight adjustments that can be adjusted "on the hill" I see no point

and YES the clickers MOVE the arm up/down to change point relative to center line (shift force), but are NOT a moving part once adjusted-:face-icon-small-ton

attachment.php

picture.php

pdrive set ups

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
That massive 80mm stroke will have a learning curve all to itself in terms of clutch tuning.

It will be interesting to see what evolves from the good tuners next year as the sleds and these new pDrive clicker-clutches get into their hands... and the products ...both good and "snake oil" get put out there.

Honestly, it wont, it only shows a stronger tq curve vs previous motor...it will be very forgiving so even off a few 100 rpm the motor/clutch will still perform (except an over rev)...

Very similar to my BBs (hitting 100 tq 500 rpm before a stocker)...the new clutch by itself will be a bigger learning curve...ramp profiles to helix angles and of course pin weight vs clicker etc etc...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
using clicker 1 or 6 means your clutching is wrong, unless you ride an 8000' elevation change daily...

all clutching should be too click 3 for your "normal" riding elevation and use 4 and 5 if/as needed for riding higher than "normal" elevation...

the only ramp that I recommend using clickers 1-3 is the 433 ramp...but thats a diff deal...BJ

Gus- call me, have a turbo question for you- TY

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
There is a 130-330 / and 150-230 spring already for the new P Drive. As well a much lower engagement ramp and shallower profile then the 960 that comes stock with the 600 race clutch.
Eventually you will have options just like current style ramp configurations. Some more as BRP develops, as well as aftermarket. Simpler designs are guaranteed to follow this new clutch, including from Toms.
We will begin offering up chassis dyno runs sometime after next week.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
There is a 130-330 / and 150-230 spring already for the new P Drive. As well a much lower engagement ramp and shallower profile then the 960 that comes stock with the 600 race clutch.
Eventually you will have options just like current style ramp configurations. Some more as BRP develops, as well as aftermarket. Simpler designs are guaranteed to follow this new clutch, including from Toms.
We will begin offering up chassis dyno runs sometime after next week.

Can you post a pic of the ramp & ramp profile ?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I would also like to know if the clickers on the NEW clutch supposably changes shift character than why doesn't the MXZ come with clickers ?

DPG

buy a race manual #484801322
page 130
effect of ramp cam adjustment

plus I/SHR have a PDrive on a 800 summit (right now, 15' from me)...
clicker 1 vs clicker 3 changed engagement and upshift characteristics...

you can actually add/subtract weight from pin to keep peak RPM but get a different acceleration rate/feel from the clicker positions you prefer...

as usual, you brought a knife to a gun fight-BJ:face-icon-small-coo

BTW- the MXZ sleds dont see elevation change so no clickers...per skidoo literature:face-icon-small-sho

Premium Features