• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine bogging after 5 miles

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
97 indy 500 liquid appox 4000 miles. Pulled carbs off my daughters sled this summer dismantled and cleaned. Hadn't been done in 4 years. Didn't really have any issues before except a little hesitation if hitting flipper to yhe bar from a stop. Put back together same as taken apart, air screw. Rode 5 miles seemed fine turning around engine bogged out snd wouldn't go. Finally stalled got restarted once I got it moving, wanted to bogg out. Got it moving kept it above 10 miles an hour till I got it back to trailer. Seemed okay loading on trailer a little bog but not bad. Any ideas? Not first time I've cleaned a carb, never had issues before.
Thanks in Advance

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Fresh plugs and fresh gas? Check the simple stuff first.

How were the reeds? Did you inspect them when you had the carbs off? How about the rubber boots between the reeds and the carbs?

Bad electrical connection? Temp sensor bad? have you restarted since?

W

w browning

Mar 21, 2009
It doesn't have reeds if it is a 97, sounds like a fuel issue maybe check the fuel filter.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
When it's bogging does flipping choke on make a difference? You can play with the air screws to fine tune the throttle response off idle as well.
How is the drive belt deflection? There should be 1 1/4 inch of deflection. Too loose of a belt will make it bog on take off.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
It doesn't have reeds if it is a 97, sounds like a fuel issue maybe check the fuel filter.

Fresh plugs and fresh gas? Check the simple stuff first.

How were the reeds? Did you inspect them when you had the carbs off? How about the rubber boots between the reeds and the carbs?

Bad electrical connection? Temp sensor bad? have you restarted since?

Plugs were new last year, they looked just fine nice tan color. Gas was stabilized at 1/4 tank, filled with fresh non-ethanol fuel before ran it. I did replace fuel filter last season, but i just put a new one on cuz they're cheap. I replaced the gas lines while I was at it since I had fuel line on the shelf, checked pickup screen in tank. Old lines didn't seem to have any restriction. The carb boots were just fine when I did the carbs. No reeds on this.
Didn't flip choke when I had bogging issue, will try if it bogs when I get a chance to ride it, no snow here.
I did replace choke cable, maybe I adjusted it a little tight and its choking when warmed up, maybe I'll loosen adjustment up a little. Don't think its a belt adjust issue, seems motor, not clutch,
Now I just need snow to see if fuel filter or hose was issue.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
When was the last time pump was rebuilt?

That would have been my next thing to do. I may do it anyway to be pro active. But I got it out for a 20 mile run last fri and everything seemed okay from the couple things I did. Adjust choke a little looser, fuel filter and hoses. Ran just fine.
THANKS TO ALL for input. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features