• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek Drop in kit RESULTS

F

fullboredragon

Mar 24, 2009
$28 mod

look up the $28 dollar mod, IMO the rk kit makes the sled run a little hotter due to coolant flow in the head past the stock sensor, some here theorize that when the factory computer see the hotter temps it starts to pull timing and cause the loss in power.

Do the mod and the sleds temps will around 110F, instead of close to 140F Mine would drop rpm's like that too, but not any more. I picked up around 200 rpm after and no more dropping rpm. I also found that it had more power running the stock can instead of the mbrp. gained another 1-200 rpm with stock can. Hope this helps

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I have a 2013 800 with the drop in kit (14:1) compression along with a slp pipe, hps can, power commander with my own map. It runs amazing, huge difference over stock. I'm also running a 3" track I just need to get my clutching figured out now!(any suggestions) I had a Doo before my pro with Kelsey's kit in it an all his stuff flat out works very well!!

FYI I have the same setup on my 13 155" and I ran MDS with 68grams at 8000+, pulled 8300rpm on pulls.

green/black primary
purple/black secondary

hope this helps!

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
i did the 28$ mod and saw cooler temps, and rs became a little higher but still wasnt able to hit that 84/85, with 62 gr at 3500'.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
my question is, after installing the kit i observed the piston is a mill or so below the intake port, meaning there's probably 8* of of crank rotation doin nothing and also makes up for a shorter piston, i dont understand how this translates to better power and piston life, please explain this to me if anybody knows.
ive removed my kit and im goin bb, im not sure of a builder yet.
I had rpm issues all winter with this kit, rs would fall of to 7900 and than slowlly increase a little, i bought the tied as recommended , tried different pol weights and tried sec springs with advise from kelsey, tied and even vhonk and ill i had all winter was grief, i had moments of extra power but not many.
If your lookin for true noticeable power than in moho look at other ideas.
there was a small group of us on here pm ing each other with same results and trying to brain storm how to fix our rpm issues. If your looking to compeate with the cats power, this kit is defently not the kit.

What year sled?
Did it run perfect before the kit was put in?
What box?
Stock exhaust?
Were you tuning on a new belt or one that looked fine?
Clutch alignment good?
Did you measure the pistons after you took them out?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
What year sled?
Did it run perfect before the kit was put in?
What box?
Stock exhaust?
Were you tuning on a new belt or one that looked fine?
Clutch alignment good?
Did you measure the pistons after you took them out?

Boonie box new
Stock exaust
Alignment was good
Tps was adjusted by dealer
Run awsome prior to the kit
Tried new and old belts
Compression was 140sh
Tried no boonie box
Shared numbers with others on here

Tinkerjhonson had a nightmare time with this kit as well.
My kit is out and the head is for sale, im goin bb but undecided of a vendor yet.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
What elevation and heads were you running? Isn't 140 a lot of compression?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Is this thread before or after the drop in kit?
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341676
Sounds really similar to the problems I was having stock at the end of the year...

this was with the kit installed, 140sh compression with13.5 heads and i used 25/75 av104 to 91 prem fuel.
it run the same with or without the box with as much as 11% added up top.
geo gave me his numbers that he used with his head and slp pipe and it was way rich for me, just fell on its face.
Tinker gave me his numbers for the exact same kit just he was much higher in elevation, and we percentage wise changed his numbers to fit my elevation, and it was still same results.
We both tried different helix and spring combos sharing ideas , still with inconsistent results.
geo spent hours on the phone with me tryin to figure the issues out, with no luck.
The info geo was giving me about his slp kit sounds like it would stump all over my drop in kit performance wise.
It sounds like sw members had great success with 11s and 12s but not so with 13s.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Boonie box new
Stock exaust
Alignment was good
Tps was adjusted by dealer
Run awsome prior to the kit
Tried new and old belts
Compression was 140sh
Tried no boonie box
Shared numbers with others on here

Tinkerjhonson had a nightmare time with this kit as well.
My kit is out and the head is for sale, im goin bb but undecided of a vendor yet.

I wouldn't say it quite that way, the engine ran great I just was having some rpm fluctuation and rpm consistency issues at the higher elevations so I tried several different things I even tried it back to stock and wow the power and throttle responce was gone it felt like a turd, vibrations were very noticeable I will be putting the drop in kit back in, also there have been some clutching changes found with the rooster weights so you can load the heal and lighten the tip, I feel is going to help a lot on the rpm consistency. Most people are having good luck and loving this setup and for a lot a guys the rpm fluctuation is not a problem the sled still runs fine I am just really picky, but hands down this kit performs a lot better than stock.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I wouldn't say it quite that way, the engine ran great I just was having some rpm fluctuation and rpm consistency issues at the higher elevations so I tried several different things I even tried it back to stock and wow the power and throttle responce was gone it felt like a turd, vibrations were very noticeable I will be putting the drop in kit back in, also there have been some clutching changes found with the rooster weights so you can load the heal and lighten the tip, I feel is going to help a lot on the rpm consistency. Most people are having good luck and loving this setup and for a lot a guys the rpm fluctuation is not a problem the sled still runs fine I am just really picky, but hands down this kit performs a lot better than stock.

ill agree that my engine ran good as well, but the clutching was a night mare with inconstant rpms, the rs would hit peak for a second than drop to 7900 and slowly climb to around 81-8200, i ended up with a box full of clutch parts and hours online and on the phone trying to get it sorted, even a trip to my dealer to get everything spec out all out and only the tps was slightly out, but on the other hand those with 11s or 12s claimed good success.
The 13s out of the box were much better in performance wise than the previous years and maybe perhaps there wasnt as much gains to be had with the 13s.
These are only my opinion, buy wat you wanna buy and hope you have great luck with it , but im going a different direction for the 14 season.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
ill agree that my engine ran good as well, but the clutching was a night mare with inconstant rpms, the rs would hit peak for a second than drop to 7900 and slowly climb to around 81-8200, i ended up with a box full of clutch parts and hours online and on the phone trying to get it sorted, even a trip to my dealer to get everything spec out all out and only the tps was slightly out, but on the other hand those with 11s or 12s claimed good success.
The 13s out of the box were much better in performance wise than the previous years and maybe perhaps there wasnt as much gains to be had with the 13s.
These are only my opinion, buy wat you wanna buy and hope you have great luck with it , but im going a different direction for the 14 season.

Agreed there are plenty of performance kits out there and they all have good points and bad points but but no matter what performance setups you get it comes down to the tuning to make it rip all sleds react different to modds it just takes a little time to get it right, I hope you find one that works for you

M
Aug 30, 2014
NW MT
Lost both rings on the mag side piston after 206.3 miles.... I have the drop in "Fix kit". gonna contact kelsey and see whats up. Riding between 4-7'k in western Montana on a 11 assault rmk

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Same thing happened to me. Don't bother. Those garbage pistons came apart on me after 168 miles.

Stock cylinders and pistons were immaculate coming out at 400 miles.

RKT drop in pistons go in.

168 miles later engine burns down.

Contact RKT asking for help. Get told to kick rocks, and that I probably installed the green injector O-ring incorrectly.

Really?

The green injector O-rings?

I know who I'm never doing business with again.

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
If your cylinder is still in good shape, I'd go one of two ways.

1) New set of Axys 800 pistons.

2) Spacer and a set of Wiseco Arctic Cat pistons PN: 2460M08500, and a cylinder spacer. I've had very good results with these pistons, and are the go-to pistons for a lot of guys in Alaska.

While I've never run the Axys pistons. I have seen some great results with them in the Pros.

Good luck.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Same thing happened to me. Don't bother. Those garbage pistons came apart on me after 168 miles.

Stock cylinders and pistons were immaculate coming out at 400 miles.

RKT drop in pistons go in.

168 miles later engine burns down.

Contact RKT asking for help. Get told to kick rocks, and that I probably installed the green injector O-ring incorrectly.

Really?

The green injector O-rings?

I know who I'm never doing business with again.

This story has happened sooooo many times.......

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
4000km and 4 years on my drop in kit now, Zero issues, riding at home at 3000ft, and in golden, revy areas, very happy with the kit, 2012 Pro, no fuel controller, just put in and go.

Mac Man

Premium Member
May 10, 2017
Drop in kit

Well I only have one season on my RK Tek drop in kit, but I am very happy with the power, and much less vibration than the stock Pro engine. It did take some tuning but runs well.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
One season on my 15' pro with RKT pistons and "$28" mod. IMO it's a waste of time to not help out the cooling system while you do the pistons. I have 3 2015 800 pros and they have the worst cooling of any sled I've ever ridden. Constantly in the 140-160 range, very easy to get it hotter if your not careful. The $28 mod is not a 100% fix, but it's much better. Rarely see temps higher than 140 now, usually under 130 while boondocking. The RKT pistons work very well, but there are other things that need to be addressed as well.

Premium Features