• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker XM Setup for 3k-6k elev in Washington and BC

J
Dec 8, 2013
Hello all. Just put new Boondocker kit on the XM. GTX series 2860, Non Intercooled, Full Tial Setup.
Riding in Washington and BC. looking to hear what worked best as far as fuel used and any other setup advise.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
How much Boost are you planning to run? I would email Manny at BD and he can give you numbers. If not I can send you the numbers I run on mine. I ran Trick Unleaded which is 96 octane. I was running about 6.5# at 5,500' and let the box compensate from there. Never once had a problem with detonation. Tried running straight non ethanol 93 and I would get det codes. Just make sure you have enough weight in your clutch because the main issue is over revving and it would blow the rave valves off time.

J
Dec 8, 2013
I'd like to run 7 or 8lbs, but its all about the system operating properly for me. i started with 50/50 Av and 92 non ethanol. ran like crap at 5lbs, went to 6lbs (ran better), went to 7lbs (ran better). The best it ran was at 8lbs and that was at 3000'. No det yet ever, but i get a mid range pop on throttle stabs then runs clean from there. where are you getting your Trick 96 fuel?talked to Boondocker and they said 30/70 Av non eth, plugs gapped to .024, box set at 5lbs and set belt deflection until she almost squeeks.
i'm in snoqualmie. would be great to compare numbers. this is the 2016 kit with the most current numbers.

J
Dec 8, 2013
Sharing my experience to relieve headaches

Snowest Land,
Since there seems to be no one in the northwest who has a Boondocker kit on an Etec and can give a straight answer to their actual set up, I will share where i'm at to date, so someone out there can benefit from my experience. (actually what forum's are for).
Let's start with fueling. blah blah blah, there is so much misinformation i want to puke. Av Gas, Oh no Race Gas, 50% or is it 100%, too much octane, no not enough octane, oh my god!!. i am currently running 3 gallons of Av in my tank and yes i can only cram 10 Gallons total in there, with doing the dumb burp thing, so 30/70 Av,non ethanol gas at 6Lbs boost, no det ever (so far so good). I unload at 3000' and primarily ride 4500'-5000', If i go more boost, i will add more Av gas.
Found out the pop issue and guess what cured it. CLUTCHING. Apparently the clutching i got with the kit, just wasn't heavy enough. Put the low elevation kit in, even clicked to one and still Over reving. Apparently it doesn't like 8350 rpm. Revelation is that Turbo's like load. i broke down and did some research and found out Ibackshift has a Turbo Etec clutch kit. Came with the full set up and delivers as advertised, i actually feel i got what i paid for. This should come with every Etec boondocker turbo kit. it cleaned up the low to mid which i was not impressed with. If you take anything away from this, remember one word. Clutching. Junk the boondocker clutching and get the Ibackshift or some other equal kit. it's a game changer
So closing. My Setup after beating my head against a wall for half season
Boondocker non-intercooled kit w/Tial, GTX2860, 30%Av Gas, 6 lbs, Ibackshift Etec turbo clutch kit.
Hopefully this helps some fellow regular rider that just wants more smiles per miles

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
BoonDocker kits are rare around here. I have run 2 different kits on 2 different XMs. When they run they are great. The problem is they don't always run. I wouldn't run their kit again on my sleds. I still have one of the sleds for sale. Kudos to you to figuring it out.

J
Dec 8, 2013
For a first time turbo owner i would say i would do it again. They're kits seemed to be relatively simple to install and the fact that i called them 10 times with stupid questions without them telling me to go ??/$ myself was quite nice of them. Kits very comparable to all my buddies kits as far as quality of fit and components. (no bov wtf) The Boondocker box controller is what sold me on it as i wasn't going for the Standalone ECU Kit.(maybe a big mistake) Push button and no computer needed for tuning and the fact their local-ish. Wish their kit had a water to air intercooler option, but that will be an upgrade for later. Their kit clutching was not good. i'm sure it worked somewhere, just not here. She's ripping now and hopefully will stay that way.
The things we do to have fun

B
Dec 10, 2007
Why is it so complicated ...?

So.. put the Boondocker intercooled kit on a 174-16 doo 800. installed heavy hitter arms 82+\- g. Ran 70%-112 30%-92 Esso.. 11-12 lbs boost all day long, 2000 miles 78 to 82 mph track speed in 2' powder, killed everything I saw all day long.. yada yada yada all the other **** you guys are talking is ****ing garbage. simple math... 02= horsepower don't be a ****ing ***** turn up the boost.. run good fuel!! ...Real world costs.. $1250 rings, pistons at 2500 KMS crosshatch cyl, stack jugs, torque, pull and go for anouther season..if all of that bs high-tech you fellows are going on about was any good... you wouldn't be on here asking questions...

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
Wow.... relax guy you put in one good day on a turbo. Come back after 1000 miles, some of us have been around turbo etecs for a while now and as a result have a good idea of what is required to make them run. What engine mods have you done to handle 11-12psi? Rods? Machine Squish band in head? Raves? What charge temps are you seeing with your air to air interHEATER? 150*- 200*? You should get some real world experience before you start running anyone down on here, your math don't mean squat to me.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Haha All the money in the world doesn't make a turbo run good. Trust me I know lol Glad you're an expert. Why don't you come borrow mine and get it running for me?

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
Haha All the money in the world doesn't make a turbo run good. Trust me I know lol Glad you're an expert. Why don't you come borrow mine and get it running for me?

I am far from an expert, just a little bit of experience with them some horrible and some great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would argue that a properly setup T etec can run very very well. But yes you are right if you purchase a kit that is flawed in some aspects of its design from the manufacturer it can be next to impossible to get it running right. I would love to take a crack at your sled just pay to shop it all the way up to northern bc and I'll see what can be done.:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features