• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended clutch weight for 2016 Axys with SLP Pipe & Can at 10,000

sms

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
I ordered the Dalton weights which go from 60 grams to 70. I also have Struthers Helix and rollers.

Thanks for your advise guys.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I ordered the Dalton weights which go from 60 grams to 70. I also have Struthers Helix and rollers.

I ran those weights last year on a 16 163x3" with the SLP pipe, used the stock springs and stock helix. I like those weight for the tune-ability on the hill. Its nice to be able to quickly add or remove weight from the primary.
The issue I had was the 60gram base weight is too light in the tip, even when fully loaded. I was riding 8-10,000 ft and had them loaded to 69 grams... sled pulled like crazy on the bottom end, and then would over rev on the top end 86-8700.
Switched to 10-68 polaris weights and still pulled great down low but would only turn 79-8100. Switched to 10-66 weights and it was perfect all the way through, 8350 on the top end (which is what you want with the pipe.
The do offer a 65 or 66 gram base weight and thats what I would buy if I tried them again. FYI, cutler performance sells a weight exactly like that dalton weight for less money.
You might be able to make those weights work matched to a different helix, I did try a couple other helixes but never found the right combo.
good luck. Eric

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Depending on your spring, I'd guess about 65.5 g?
I'm at 67.7 @ 7000' with a 120/340 primary spring.

sms

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Erik,

Thanks for your advise. I did actually buy Cutlers weights as I thought they looked identical to Dalton's and I like Dale. He's a good guy. I will give 66 a shot and see how it goes that is if we ever get snow.

Once again, Thank you for your input.
Steve

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Erik,

Thanks for your advise. I did actually buy Cutlers weights as I thought they looked identical to Dalton's and I like Dale. He's a good guy. I will give 66 a shot and see how it goes that is if we ever get snow.

Once again, Thank you for your input.
Steve

Just to be clear, cutlers adjusted to 66 grams are not the same as polaris 10-66's. I could not not get the cutlers to work as good as the OEM weights due to the narrow profile and lack of tip mass on the 60 gram base weight. I just dont want to mislead ya!
Eric

sms

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Ok, thanks for clarifying. They change out quickly so what would you try first in my setup. I haven't changed the springs or anything but went with Struthers helix.

Steve

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ok, thanks for clarifying. They change out quickly so what would you try first in my setup. I haven't changed the springs or anything but went with Struthers helix.

Steve

Do you know the angles on that helix?

The tip set screws can only be adjusted when the weight is removed from the clutch, because it is threaded in from the tip, not the heel. I put the longest set screw as I could in the tip, just to the point where you have 1-2 threads of the set screw sticking out past the end of the weight.

Do you have a gram scale? I'm guessing (depending on that helix) your going to want to start in the 65 range. Is this sled brand new, zero miles? If yes, you will have to keep adding weight as you get some run time on it.

Eric

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho

Carls has weights matched to their helix, and all of these pieces work VERY well together. Jack does extensive testing before putting a clutch kit together.

Maybe give them a call and get the proper weights for your elevation, and you should be good to go.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I have the Carl's helix and the slp pipe into diamond s ti muffler. 66 gram episode bellybuster weights. Good to 9,000' anyway. I would shave down to 65.5 and try it. You might end up going to 65. Should work well.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I went with Carls clutch kit. Have always had great results on my sleds in the past with Carls.

Have some custom weights Ron on here made for me quite awhile ago...going to try those as well. Have not heard from him on here in years..had lots of great knowledge on clutching.

Premium Features