• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pics of SLP pipe & can installed in Axys...

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Nice pics. Can you tell us some more details of your install? Did everything line up good? How is/was the clearance to everything compared to the stock pipe? Did you take any pics side by side on the floor of them before installing? Did you weigh everything? They usually send reflective tape, did they do that for the high heat areas? Sorry for all the questions but lots of us have money (maybe not lots lol) burning a hole in our pockets for some new parts. So details are important. Thanks for the post!
PrayN4snow

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Nice pics. Can you tell us some more details of your install? Did everything line up good? How is/was the clearance to everything compared to the stock pipe? Did you take any pics side by side on the floor of them before installing? Did you weigh everything? They usually send reflective tape, did they do that for the high heat areas? Sorry for all the questions but lots of us have money (maybe not lots lol) burning a hole in our pockets for some new parts. So details are important. Thanks for the post!
PrayN4snow

Did everything line up good? YES, EVERYTHING LINED UP PERFECT.
How is/was the clearance to everything compared to the stock pipe? ALL SEEMS GOOD. IF ANYTHING MORE CLEARANCE ESPECIALLY IN THE CAN AREA.
Did you take any pics side by side on the floor of them before installing? NOPE... TOO EXCITED TO GET IT INSTALLED :)
Did you weigh everything? NO I DIDN'T. I'LL GO WITH SLP'S CLAIM OF 14LBS LESS OVERALL WEIGHT. NO QUESTIONS THIS PIPE AND CAN WEIGHED LESS. JUST PICKING THEM UP YOU COULD TELL THERE WAS A HUGE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE.
They usually send reflective tape, did they do that for the high heat areas? THEY DID INCLUDE HEAT TAPE MAINLY FOR THE CARBON FIBER TUBE ABOVE THE PIPE. I ADDED A LOT OF EXTRA HEAT TAPE TO GIVE THINGS THE BEST CHANCE I COULD TO NOT MELT. BEEN THERE DONE THAT BEFORE WITH OTHER SLEDS... HEAT TAPE EVERYTHING YOU CAN, THEN WHILE ON THE FIRST RIDE CHECK THINGS OUT AND BRING EXTRA HEAT TAPE TO ADJUST ON THE FLY.

The install was pretty fast. What took the longest time was installing heat tape everywhere. I took out all the glued in foam and replaced with heat tape. The pipe was the easy part to install. Had to add a couple of spring attachments points as per the SLP instructions and which were included with the pipe, but other then that it was plug and play.

By the way the foam on these new PRO's comes off WAY WAY easier then the older PRO's. Night and day difference which was nice.

Last edited:
T
Oct 10, 2001
Spokane WA
Pipe looks great. I was wondering if there is someplace where a guy can add an under the hood goggle bag from the Pro to the Axys? I don't think the little compartment on the hood will really fit a pair of goggles that well.

Thanks,

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
No PCV or other controller needed? Was there additional clutching included with the kit?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
No PCV or other controller needed? Was there additional clutching included with the kit?

As long as you plan to ride above 4,000' you do not need to use the EGT resister plug that came with the pipe.

No additional clutching was included with the pipe. I'm going to see how she runs with stock clutching. I figure with the altitude I ride at 9,500' to 10,500' the extra 9 HP should work well with the stock weights etc. We'll see.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Take out the giant sponge that holds water and replace with heat tape.

So nothing to do with extra heat from the pipe and can then?

Cant say i have ever noticed the foam soaking up water and i would think the foam would definitely help with sound dampening . . . ?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
... foam would definitely help with sound dampening . . . ?

That is the only reason it is there. If you like your sled to stay quiet you can leave it. Lower belly pan sections or anything below a vent are worse for absorbing water I'd think.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Quieter is a good thing these days!!
Seems like adding 10 HP and losing 14# would be a GREAT thing with this pipe and can combo. Looks fantastic too!!!
I would think one would need to add a couple of grams to the primary to keep the clutching right . . ?

OP - - -Thanks for posting the pix!

Cheers!

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Cut the stock head or after market slp head? Local shop by you says to cut the stock head and still not need a fuel box.

Premium Features