• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Clutch?

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
I just bought a new clutch for my M800. It did not come with that gold ring on the back. I was wandering if I need to take off the old gold ring and put on the new clutch? Or is is fine to run without it? If i do need it what do i torque these bolts to? Thanks for the help!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I transferred mine to my new clutch and I think I used green lock tite and snugged it up.

Most peeps will prob say to run without and engine will be more responsive.

I figured with all the pressure to make sleds lighter, and they put this heavy ring on the clutch, they must have had good reason to do so.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
No balance but always wondered how much diff it might make. I have around 2600 miles on it and have a new clutch calibrated and in box ready to go. Will probably install the ring on it. Havent decided if I will send it off for balancing. Not sure off hand where I would send to or what the cost is. Suggestions are on forum somewhere, just have not searched.

Even w/o ring, I have heard balance can be improved since factory doesnt get it that precise but I wonder if that last little bit of balance matters as far as clutch/bearing/seal life or if the main benefit is less vibration.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
FWIW...

I would balance the new clutch before installation. In my experience, cat clutches are usually not balanced well. As far as the ring goes, you might notice a very slight increase in throttle response and a little harder to pull over if it isn't installed - I noticed a substantial difference in both when I installed a P85 primary on my 925, but there is almost a 2 lb difference between the P85 and the Cat clutch...

Premium Features