• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Understanding the Polaris 600RR (Multiple Questions)!

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

I am have some question on the 600RR, I really have no history with Polaris sleds I have road Arctic Cat my whole life, but am looking to switch it up a little. The information online seems slim to none on the RR its always ends up talking about the IQR.

1. It is my understanding the polaris 600rr is EFI? Or oil injected? whats the difference?

2. Was this sled only made in 2008? or are there other years now?

3. Does this sled only come in a 600? or does it come in a 800 also? It sounds like the 800 is a mod?

4. How would this sled do in the Big Horns or laramie if you put a 144" on it and maybe a bore on the 600?

5. I imagine this sled would do fine in the Black Hills? Even if it was left completely stock.

6. Is this sled still nimble with a 144" track and a 800cc? I want a sled that is easy to jump and toss around but can still climb to an extent.

7. Is it hard to put an 800cc EFI motor in the RR? I dont like messing with carbs in the mountains to many changing variables from day to day.

8. Is the proper name for this sled the 600RR, iq 600rr or the iqrr 600?

9. My dilemma, I currently have a 2005 Arctic Cat 900 (1000 soon!!) w/162" track w/Mods. However where I live (MN) we dont get much snow, and there is pretty much only just ditch banging and trail riding to do, which is to hard on my king cat, wants to over heat, slides burn up, lugs on the track get busted up. But I want to keep the sled because we go out west to the big horns and black hills a few times a year. So I thought why not get a crossover sled I can ride around my parts and bring outwest for a spare sled if one breaks down or somthing I can jump on if I dont feel like climbing and just feel like jumping or doing more technical riding, thoughts?

Very Respectfully: 507Sledz

Last edited:

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
You can download an owners manual here, http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rider-support/owners-manual

The 600RR, like all 600 racer's, is carbed and it is oil injected. EFI is your fuel injection system, you're either Carburated or you're Electronically Fuel Injected. The term Polaris coined is CFI (Cleanfire Injection).

Based off of Polaris' owners manuals, they only offered 600RR in 2009. To my knowledge, Polaris produced the RR because of consumer demand. Everybody wanted an IQR, but I believe they were only sold new, to racers. The RR came with a 9.9 gal tank, opposed to the race sized smaller tank, Trail Tanks offers a 12.5 version.

IQR's and 600RR's only have a 600 engine in them, the RR was tuned more conservatively from Polaris. Since it's not a race sled and has to be able to be ridden in mid to high range RPM without burning down. The IQR's have higher compression, and I would assume a different timing on the engine, for more power. They also have to run race gas unless converted to trail. I believe this can be done by swapping heads (and domes?) off of a 600 IQ motor.

A sled is only as capable as it's rider, so a 144" could be a great track option for you. However, you can't expect it to go through the steep and deep as easy as a comparable sled with a larger track. There was a guy on the forum a long time ago, he was building an IQR mountain conversion. I can't remember his list of mods, however I know that he ended up really liking the factor 121" track. I remember him saying something along the lines of having so much more fun on the modded IQR with a factory 121" that he was considering leaving it that length. I ride a 144" and would prefer to be a 155" track. I have ridden all over Wyoming and do fine with the 144" I just have to work a little harder to get there.

I'm sure an 800 with a 144" would be plenty nimble in my opinion, however to someone coming off of a 121" it might not be. I haven't ridden in the Black Hills. Based off of what I've seen of them in winter/spring & summer, from riding through them in a car and on a bike, a competent rider shouldn't have any problem there.

I'm sure you can swap an 800CFI in fairly easily depending on how mechanically inclined you are. A simple swap from an 800 IQ would be best. You would have to figure out the exhaust though. You can check eBay, there's usually a 800 pipe for an IQR floating around somewhere. You could also build one, have one built, or get one from and aftermarket company. I believe Jaws makes one, maybe a few others.

Proper terminology would be 600RR, I don't remember if the RR stands for Race Ready, or Race Replica. I'm pretty sure it's Race Replica.

The RR with a 144 track should be a good do it all sled for you, I would invest in some hyper fax for your slides, scratchers, and maybe consider running Evans Coolant. I don't think the 800 would make the power of the 900 you're currently on as long as you're ok with that.

One thing that I've wanted to do for a while, is swap a 900 EFI cat motor into a IQR chassis, then you have the reliablilty of the motor, the power, & fuel injection, in a capable mountain chassis. You could find a blank motor plate from, here on the forum (1200psi?). Then simply swap everything over. The hardest parts would probably be getting the exhaust done, and how well the motor would fit around the steering post.

Anyhow, there's quite a bit of IQR guru's on there that know a lot more about them then I do. Hope this helps!

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I forgot to mention, you could also consider a big bore or bolting an 800 top end onto the 600 top end. the 800 iq top end will swap right across. However it would be carbed not fuel injected. If you could get an 800 top end, fix kit (since you're in there already) a stator, cdi, & throttle bodies, you could probably bolt it all up and go, as long as it's from the same model year sled.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
If I remember correctly the RR had the 600HO engine not the 800 crank base engine.
I believe they built the RR in '08 and '09

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
RR's where only a 2008 model. Came with the 600 HO Carbed engine, not the 600r (longer stroke, basically same lowerend as the 800 CFI) that was first put into the racer models in 2008. It does come with reverse (perc) which you can't get with the 600r engine. RR has regular drivers instead of the extroverts stock on race model. RR comes with an additional cooler in the rear.

Using the stock skid and trying to extend it will get you no where near the results of swapping it out for a mountain based skid (non-coupled). The stock IQR skid has a very steep attack angle and will trench a lot. That being said my current IQR is a 136 stock skid (ice age rails) with a lot of little tricks to help it float on top of the snow a bit better (shorter front shocks, sucked up straps, etc). Actually it doesn't work to bad in the deep stuff, but no where as well as when I had a 144" RMK skid in one. My IQR is my MN trail banger sled and I have a Pro-RMK also (personally can't break away from the IQR and ride it most everywhere except outwest, and only because I don't bring it, haha).

Ohh, also the gas tank is 8.8 on the RR, stock 600r's came with a 4.5 gallon. Trail Tank offers a 10.5 (what I run) and a 12.5 gallon (bit big and fugly).

Let me know any other questions, have plenty of IQR parts, specially if you want to convert a 600r to a 800 monoblock. IMO I would try and pick up a 2011+ IQR 600r and trail convert it. You could pick up a 2011 for around $4000 and fully trail convert it for around $750.00 (with oil injection).

My IQR below, purchased bulkhead and tunnel from Poo Nov 2012, and engine cases and cylinders are off a 2013 Pro-R 800. So I am claiming its a 2013, haha. 10.5 trail tank, 875 Bikeman big bore, 42mm carbs. 136". (Sled does have a headlight, just didn't have it in for picture). I still run pre-mix instead of oil injection.

IMG_0678 (Large).jpg IMG_0675 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
The 800 CFI top ends will only bolt on 600r not the 600 HO engine. Ideally if I had it to do over, I would purchase an 797 (600 HO based) engine from Ean (Angermanagement890, Koolme Kustoms) and you would have reverse also.

Installing a fuel injected 800 can be done on an IQR, but one factor that has kept me from doing it is the gas tank and installation of the fuel pump system. I am yet to see it done so it looks good and works. Sorry I know I have friends that have done it, and it works, but IMO looks like hell. I was playing with the idea of an external fuel pump but that brought about a whole different bag of worms.

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Miami FL Sunshine and Ladies
That 13 800r 136 is sweet. Im doing a similar sled now with a 12 chassis and 13 600r motor. The VE 136 boondocker tunnel extension with ultra runners+ ice age 136 iqr rails+ 136x2in track+ 12.5 gal tank. Sled is at vohk right now but will get pics up when it is done. My next step is the 800r conversion from indy dan with a dynoport pipe and Y pipe using stock can.

Last edited:
Premium Features