• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 XM weight drop

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
The long and short of this is simple...you can remove weight off of the Xm without sacrificing warranty, to get it to the ADVERTISED weight of the Poo....

...you CANNOT bump the hp of the Poo to the Doo without sacrificing the warranty...correct? Or am I off base???

Ace

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
hp.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The long and short of this is simple...you can remove weight off of the Xm without sacrificing warranty, to get it to the ADVERTISED weight of the Poo....

...you CANNOT bump the hp of the Poo to the Doo without sacrificing the warranty...correct? Or am I off base???

Ace
Correct. But look at times of hills drags and such. The low powered polaris is the fastest up the hill in every snowest shootout thing. Im sure you'll give a hundred reasons as to why they are wrong, but I dont care, times are times. The 800 Etec may be putting out 163.9 HP, but its not putting 163.9 to the ground (and yes yes I know no sled is putting out a number even close to that to the ground). Power is worthless if its not being put to the ground.

And look at it this way, you could spend thousands of dollars on an XP and its still not gonna handle like a Pro. A few hundred dollars in motor mods and the Pro will run right past the XP. But some people just like the Doos handling better... I don't see why, but your not me and I'm not you. Ride what you like.

That being said I have NOT ridden an XM so I cannot say anything about it.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
One thing I am not going to do to my Pro is mod the engine. Polaris is going to pay for any engine failures, not me. I will lighten it up a bit but I won't even put a can on it. Polaris has been really douchey about warranty. Shame on them for that.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007

Ace

has more to do with your dealer actually. some work with you, some won't. honestly, after riding the xm i was VERY impressed with the improvements. feels like how a modern sled should handle, like a pro. if that was the only consideration it would be a tough choice (and if i wasn't building a house i would probably have both) but considering my dealer options the polaris is the OBVIOUS choice. for ME. back to the warranty, i can swap an slp pipe for the stock pipe off a pro in about 15 minutes if i wanted/need/had one. if i had one, i could swap a head in less than an hour. is that completely honest, no. but if my warranty issue has absolutely nothing to do with the pipe/head/specific mod do i feel bad about doing it, no. now if you put a pipe one, don't change the map, and seize a piston then yeah, the warranty shouldn't cover it. but what if you put a pipe on, ride the sled for 1000+ miles and you loose a cylinder skirt?? if it was me, that pipe would be coming off and the stocker would be back on and i wouldn't feel guilty about it in the slightest. now what i really want is the carl's 900 but then warranty is non existent...

pv

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
might wanna edit that one:)

wow snowmobiler, i think that was the first comment i've seen you post that actually contained some hummor! good job, someday you might actually grow up some... (hint, hint, you first have to stop giving people bad rep when they criticize you though... rep doesn't mean sh!t, but doing that does make you look like a bit of a d-bag.) good effort, keep trying.

pv

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
nothing wrong with you lurking here and dreaming of a skidoo.id be mad too if i owned a poo.LOL.

If you'd pay attention you'd have known I'm still pissed off at the $4 k plus bill on my XP. So ya got to listen man, as I said before , they're all suspect, but some are just more fun than others. You sit down riders naturally like the stable glued down handling, but as you get better and learn and improve, pretty soon you'll be standing up and riding like the good guys. In time man..... in time, don't rush it, you're on a good training chassis.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
sorry i didnt read every post word for word.
i got alot of xp this xp that. imo the xm is
not really comparable to the xp.

i ride a cat m series and have for the last
6 years. i never gave doo a second thought
until i heard about the xm. after riding one
i am sold. i will be getting more seat time
soon but i am sure i will be making the switch.
you cant go wrong with a 16 wide that rides
like a 15. the e tech is a solid package

you will be thanking me ty:hail:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Alright folks, It's hard to tell where the seriousness ended and the trash talk started.

This is a legitimate question here so lets try to stay focused.

:focus: Please!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What's the question? It's funny how we get a thread going on the Doo or Pro forum and every single time somebody who doesn't even own that sled comes in and throws some crap at the posters and derails the whole thing. I'm not bothered by it but there would be a lot more exchange of info and less mud slinging if we all stayed in our own neighborhood. Could the mods just delete anything off topic?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Totally. Just having fun. I don't take offense at Jay or you Slick, hope you don't take offense at me. Why do you spend so much time on the Ski Doo forum? And I wouldn't care at all if a mod deleted my posts when they were off topic. I looked back at the tread and the mud slingin starts right after a Pro guy posts comments about a Pro being lighter then it becomes a Pro vs XP thread, not a weight loss on an XM thread. I think it was the 3rd comment.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Totally. Just having fun. I don't take offense at Jay or you Slick, hope you don't take offense at me. Why do you spend so much time on the Ski Doo forum? And I wouldn't care at all if a mod deleted my posts when they were off topic. I looked back at the tread and the mud slingin starts right after a Pro guy posts comments about a Pro being lighter then it becomes a Pro vs XP thread, not a weight loss on an XM thread. I think it was the 3rd comment.
The Polaris forum gets boring... we don't have to have hundred of threads on how to lose weight, how to make a belt last 300 miles, and how to make our sleds hold a sidehill for more than 10 yards, so it just leaves a guy bored and poking around in the other forums.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007

Well partly I'm trying to decide if I wanna put a s36 kit on my XP, which now has a brand new motor (no warranty) and I like reading the reviews and experiences guys are having with all brands. I also have 2 sleds and the one that sits in my garage and gets lent out is the Doo, because its just no where near as much fun. And as I've said before, its the stability I don't enjoy, most Doo guys say they do, so why the very obvious efforts by Doo to make the XM more Pro like ? That confuses me. The XP has a great fan club, the Pro does also, why would Doo constantly since 10 be making changes away from a chassis that is supposedly nimble and easy to sidehill and maneouver. Aren't the guys that love the XP gonna hate it, cause its Pro like ? I get it, cause I like responsive tippy and just less effort required to ride, hence more fun, but why are Doo guys so excited about it. You guys have been bashing those qualities since the Dragon chassis was introduced. Is it the Doo stickers, the color, the crappy clutching, the heated lunch kit ? Haven't decided what I'm sno checking this year, still got some time. But, I'm not spending any time on the Cat site. LOL.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The Polaris forum gets boring... we don't have to have hundred of threads on how to lose weight, how to make a belt last 300 miles, and how to make our sleds hold a sidehill for more than 10 yards, so it just leaves a guy bored and poking around in the other forums.

I love sarcasm.

:face-icon-small-hap

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
We should have started a new thread I guess but since this one is pounded into dust I will respond. Slick since you own an XP your comments surprise me. Most of the XP guys I know laugh at the whole stability/can't sidehill comments. I wouldn't own a sled I couldn't take into the trees and have fun with. We can sidehill these sleds with EASE! In deep snow it is effortless and you still have the extra flotation and climbing ability of the wider track. I can sidehill my XP on hardpack, takes some effort but it can be done. The difference in deep snow performance, especially in the NW and BC snow, is minimal but nearly everything else the Doo out does the Pro. Power, fit and finish, reliability, ride in the rough, warranty, fuel usage and on and on. Now with the XM all of those attributes are still their but it is easier to ride in tougher conditions. I think it is even better in the deep.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Being so used to the XP, I am a little concerned the XM will change course TOO easily. I have a heck of a time making a Pro do what I want it to because I try to ride it like an XP....that's 100% ME, not the sled. I want a sled that does only what I want it to, not what the terrain wants it to....that's where I like (or am just used to) the stability of the XP....it stays on course and not as easily steered by terrain....if that makes sense?
I like the quality and durability of the Doo over the Poo (I work on both), so I will take whatever Doo offers and adapt my riding. Doo is obviously after some of the Pro market....that's business, but doesn't mean that every fan of the XP is excited about the new direction. I will adapt and probably love it....just like I learned to love the XP over the M-Cat, Rev and Pro. I am more excited about the approach, rail and scissor angles and how it should stay on top and keep the nose down, much more than the whole "tippy" thing...put the old rear scissor on the traditional 16 wide track and I'll still buy one.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Being so used to the XP, I am a little concerned the XM will change course TOO easily. I have a heck of a time making a Pro do what I want it to because I try to ride it like an XP....that's 100% ME, not the sled. I want a sled that does only what I want it to, not what the terrain wants it to....that's where I like (or am just used to) the stability of the XP....it stays on course and not as easily steered by terrain....if that makes sense?
I like the quality and durability of the Doo over the Poo (I work on both), so I will take whatever Doo offers and adapt my riding. Doo is obviously after some of the Pro market....that's business, but doesn't mean that every fan of the XP is excited about the new direction. I will adapt and probably love it....just like I learned to love the XP over the M-Cat, Rev and Pro. I am more excited about the approach, rail and scissor angles and how it should stay on top and keep the nose down, much more than the whole "tippy" thing...put the old rear scissor on the traditional 16 wide track and I'll still buy one.
See I think the Pro only goes where you want it to, and the XP goes where it wants, like on a sidehill, where does that thing want to go? Downhill. You can make it go where you, you just have to work for it. And work SUCKS!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
on all sleds you have to stand up and work a little boondocking mountains.

Premium Features