• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any updates on the Trygstad 872R motor

R
Feb 5, 2008
Sorry hivoltagesledhead no new test for me yet, be riding tomorrow and Sunday though so I'll let you know soon. Went through my clutches and freshened em up and adjusted pin weight hopefully I'm getting close there. If your really looking at a BB I have nothing but good things to say about daves customer service and the motor seems like it's gonna be really strong. That's just my opinion though so take it for what it's worth.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I've called Dave probably 6 times in the last month. Everytime he is friendly and has helped with everything I've asked. Great person to deal with. His stuff is great and wouldn't use anyone else for Skidoo. If I could swing it I'd run his big bore.

Thrasher

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2008
Central WA
Trygstad motor

I have a trygstad 860. This is the fourth season I have ridden one. I haven't had to do anything besides replace pistons every 1,500 miles. I have 5,000 miles on the cylinder and it runs flawless, better than any other 860 I have ridden with. I have ridden with two other types of 860's and in my opinion Dave's 860 is the best out there.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Just a quick note to say Dave has built several motors for me in the past, bought a sled from him as well..A first class guy all the way around. Glad to hear everyone is stoked about their new 872's from Dave.. I expected nothing less... Nice work Dave. Excited to see some great talent to ride his motors again this year in RMSHA.. Lots of wins to come, I'm sure.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Good to hear. i have a buddy that is just fine tuning one this weekend. He also says it is very smooth and arm stretching. Gonna make the 2.5 hr drive out there next week and try it out.

Also hearing good things about some other kits too.

Lots of options.

M
Apr 19, 2010
Bob why do you ask questions as this and pm my customers concerning parts I use? As in the past I am sure you are looking for another reason to bash my products or forward information to your engine builder friend BJ.

FYI - Motors have windings, Engines have pistons,

Dave Trygstad

hi dave i got my sled out on the snow and i just jetted down couple sizes and tried it out and i am lost for words on how to describe it but wow i am pretty impressed with the work you did for me. I think your wasting your time and finger tips on these kind of threads these are the guys at the bottom of the hill looking up and wondering what it looks like on top. thanks again dave job well done

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Was simply asking if it was a cast or forged piston, Do you really wish for the reasons I don't support your workmanship to surface?
I don't see anything wrong with the workman ship of the 872,but in fairness let not compare a 860 from 4 years ago to todays 860-872 or 880 because well [most] people will realize every year there getting better and better.I'm betting RK'S 860's better today then 4 years ago same goes for SHR ,but talked to all the above named ,the only one that would talk to me was dave ,the other two wanted me to call,but i was in the hospital for [4] months so couldn't call, so I chatted with dave and he responded to every E-mail and there was a few.:shocked:

R
Feb 5, 2008
I made it out one day this weekend and the sled ran great. Still very impressed with how hard this engine pulls. Didn't really get to do any good comparing with other sleds cause what snow we have is pretty sugary and the hills are still full of rocks from slides/not a lot of snow. Sled runs solid though, not a single complaint so far.

T

Trigger223

Mar 16, 2011
Trygstad 872

The sleds owned by a buddy of mine but were ride 3000F to 6000F as it sits it a 08 154 need to put a solid 3 to 4 hundred miles before we'll get on it hard daves want a good break in period,but so far we've added ALOT of weight and need to jet down atleast 3 sizes.Update monday.

Just an update on jetting for the 872 kits , Jetting range for you mountain riders will be nothing less than 500 ever, Finding that the PTO likes 1-2 sizes larger than the MAG, Some are running 560 pto and 540 mag, Have had several running 600 and 580 with mod airboxes, Fuel quality has many effects also,

Make sure you let this BB have the fuel it wants , it takes fuel to make power!

Dave Trygstad

tyb57

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2010
MN/WI
I have also got to say that I have had nothing but the best of experiences with Dave Trygstad. I had two champ 440 motors from dave and I also owned a Warnert 600 open mod built by Dave and they were all simply amazing. The only thing in my mind that is better than Daves products, is his willingness to help his customers. If it wasnt for all the help I got from him, I would not have had near the success that I did. Dave, and his workmanship are second to none!

R
Feb 5, 2008
Wow 580's and 600's I thought the 540 you recommended for my 872 were big. Was thinking of jetting down just a touch but sounds like I should leave the 540's.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Does the jetting not change after 500's to a (n ) series for richer. I seem to remember something about this.
Correct if wrong or give some insite. Will search also.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I try to stay away from the (n) series stuff. They can bite ya in the butt if you are not careful. A 520n is actually smaller jet size than a 500non-n. You can still get the non-n stuff but after 500 they go up in stages of 20 instead of ten. example: 480,490,500,520,540,560 and so on.

T
Sep 1, 2009
Although not an 800 based BB Ive got 400+ miles on the 700 Dave ported for me this fall..Simply fantastic, the workmanship was excellent and his advice has been 100% on the money and he was a pleasure to do business with. Id have him build me another engine of any CC without a second thought.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I try to stay away from the (n) series stuff. They can bite ya in the butt if you are not careful. A 520n is actually smaller jet size than a 500non-n. You can still get the non-n stuff but after 500 they go up in stages of 20 instead of ten. example: 480,490,500,520,540,560 and so on.

Yes however they do not offer a 520 non N jet. they jump from 500 to 540.FYI

Premium Features