• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Impressions, 800 Etec

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
If the consumer continues to accept sub-par design and testing, then what would be the incentive for the factory to EVER actually spend the time and money to do it right? We have come to accept mediocrity as the norm in snowmobiles!

When was the last time you bought a new truck and had to fix the transmission yourself on your own dime? The last time you bought a new clothes dryer and had to disassemble it to change the belt and gearing? Why have we come to accept this?

Snowmobiles from what i can tell have little to no engineering done on them. Considering you can buy a new car for the same price as a snowmobile it's pretty sad.

Alan I hope this gets better for you and doo takes care of this. I don't understand this clutching issue. If doo drops the ball this year i think you will see many rmk owners next year. There prices don't align with the quality they are shipping out the door

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
2011 ETEC Summit 800X 163 -So far, pretty good.

Just rode my new ETEC for the first 65 miles in 2 to 2 1/2 feet of fresh powder -what a great day! I'll confirm that the midrange is rich, the light throttle pull is nice, the narrower stance lets the sled sidehill and go up on edge much easier than my 09 XP, and the new skis make the steering lighter although they seem to push a little in the turns ( the 163 track probably has something to do with it.)

I'll add that the clutching seems descent (8100 on the trail and 7900 in deep drifts at about 4500 ft on clicker 3.) The skis throw powder right in your face while sitting (but I guess I should never complain about riding in fresh powder and standing is comfortable enough to make it a viable alternative.) The new windshield is only marginally better than the shorty on my 09 X which leaves your hands unguarded and cold (might install some of those hand guards.) Excepting the obviously rich mixture and retarded timing, the motor seems very fluid at all rpms and is absent the midrange flatspot of the powertek. The MPG meter showed an average of 9 MPG for the entire 65 miles which worked out exactly to the same number as calculated at the pump (it varied between 2 MPG pinned in the fluff and 19 MPG when following in a compacted track at 30 MPH.)

Obviously I am no where near the end of the break-in programming, but I am pleased so far.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I am assuming stock gearing? Which is 21/45? What elevation?

Ace

Stock gearing yes, which I believe is 21/49. 8100' This is an area I ride often(on my 08) so I know what the sled should be doing is this area, to say it falls short is a vast understatement. Just in case anyone was wondering the 08 does not have any aftermarket kit, just factory updates to 09 for durability. The old sled would put the 11e to shame today.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Snowmobiles from what i can tell have little to no engineering done on them. Considering you can buy a new car for the same price as a snowmobile it's pretty sad.

Alan I hope this gets better for you and doo takes care of this. I don't understand this clutching issue. If doo drops the ball this year i think you will see many rmk owners next year. There prices don't align with the quality they are shipping out the door

I talked to a factory engineer at the snow show last friday, he said the factory was "just now testing the etec and clutching in Wyoming, that they had done very little testing last spring". Take that secondhand info for what it's worth. If true, I have lost all respect for them.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It took about 20 miles for me to KNOW the clutching once again wasn't even close for a mountain sled. If I rode the trails I would leave it alone.
I told myself I would run the stock clutching through the break in period.....I made it 54 miles and I have now swapped out that goofy helix and went to a ramp that isn't so dang buzzy. The next couple days I will try to find time for another ride and continue to test. I can say with 100% certainty that the stock clutching is NOT going to let this sled shine....the chassis is refined, they got a good track on there, the engine seems to make good power. Just needs the last piece of the puzzle!

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
If the consumer continues to accept sub-par design and testing, then what would be the incentive for the factory to EVER actually spend the time and money to do it right? We have come to accept mediocrity as the norm in snowmobiles!

When was the last time you bought a new truck and had to fix the transmission yourself on your own dime? The last time you bought a new clothes dryer and had to disassemble it to change the belt and gearing? Why have we come to accept this?
Hey i'm on your side, i worked at a doo shop for the last 8 years,there clutching guys suck its getting worse every year 04,05 and 06 were there best years for clutching. IMO now we got more power lighter chassis and sh@ty clutching.I hope brp gets it before it's to late.

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Yes, we accept mediocrity year after year after year. So, why do I get so much negative feedback for demanding they DOO a better job?
You are so correct that is why i just run different clutchs and leave the stock ones as new .
Takes the frustration out and makes it easy.
Do you still have your 08 and if you do it would be a nice test to just switch the two clutchs and see the difference as far as your new power in the etec and your track speed.

Just thoughts

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Sled does need clutch kit but I was climbing and holding 8000 in the powder no problem with mine yesterday.

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
So, what does a new clutch kit cost? Something like a roosterbuilt? It's a little frustrating having to pay $12k for a new sled now you have to go invest more in a clutch kit to get the $12k sled to perform like it should.. Any chance of BRP doing an update on the clutch if they hear of a lot of problems?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
So, what does a new clutch kit cost? Something like a roosterbuilt? It's a little frustrating having to pay $12k for a new sled now you have to go invest more in a clutch kit to get the $12k sled to perform like it should.. Any chance of BRP doing an update on the clutch if they hear of a lot of problems?

Most of the kit prices from the aftermarket are in the $300-450 area. For me it's way more than just the money, it's an affront to me personally, it's like they are saying here sucker take this mediocre product and OH, by the way you will need to fix a few things for it to work right on your own dime. I find that insulting, I guess I'm just surprised more people don't.

The dealer called brp tech services, they responded "we don't have any suggestions at this time".

R
Dec 2, 2009
Granby, CO
granted im still only 55 miles into my etec, so im still in the middle of my break in, but ive got no complaints with the clutching performance as of yet. the only thing i dont like is that the clutch is a little noisy. we rode rabbit ears pass yesterday in three feet of fresh on top of a good base. the sled didnt ride to bad but after we took the sway bar off, it dominated the powder.

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I doubt they'll come out with anything much more than a "band aid" . Ski-Doo had and has the worst clutching in the business. On the 08' they gave me a 19 t instead of the 21t gear that it came with,so I went and bought a kit. It seems to me that there are some changes from the spring sleds to the production models as far as performance goes. The dealer where I'm from spent a lot of time dialing in the freeride clutching before anyone got to ride it. For what these new doos cost I think the consumer should get more, but it's still early give it time. I have yet to see a negative comment about the new Pros and I think they really hit on out of the park this year

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
granted im still only 55 miles into my etec, so im still in the middle of my break in, but ive got no complaints with the clutching performance as of yet. the only thing i dont like is that the clutch is a little noisy. we rode rabbit ears pass yesterday in three feet of fresh on top of a good base. the sled didnt ride to bad but after we took the sway bar off, it dominated the powder.

RPM, clicker, elevation, snow depth, climbing or road riding?

Premium Features