• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

coolant leak

Nov 2, 2010
hey guys i just bought 2004 1m 900 and after a night sitting on my shop floor i noticed it had a coolant leak. i took off the belly pan couldnt see much in there so i pulled the engine out a bit so i could look under and it looks like it was coming from the bottem of the water pump so i pulled the housing and the seal looked good. is there anywhere else it could be leaking from?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
There is a "weep" hole in the bottom of the impeller housing. If you are leaking there the mechanical seal in the water pump has failed. You need to pull the motor and split it to replace this seal.

Nov 2, 2010
wow i sure hope its not that. thanks

if i do have to do that can i just split the crank case and not bother with the top end? is that a big job?

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
You will be basically tearing the whole motor down. It would be a good time to freshin up the top end. You will not be able to not disassemble the top end if the mechanical seal is shot. Good Luck!

Sprocket

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
OK why do you have to tear down the bottom end. I have replaced this seal with no problem. You do need to pull the engine to do this but that is the worst part. #1 take the w/p cover off#2 remove w/p impeller#3 the seal will be exposed at this time just use some pliars and pull the rubber and spring off. sometimes this will just fall off #4 use a sharp screw like a drywall screw and tap it in the tin part beside the w/p shaft and turn in 2 or 3 turns just to get a good grip and pull stight out with it. sometimes you may need to put a screw on each side to do this and it will come out#5 while your in there you should also do the oil seal. Use internal snapring pliars , remove snap ring and use the same method on the oil seal for removal. #6 push well greased oil seal in with a socket about the same size as the outer part of the seal and push it in and reinstall the snap ring. #7 find a socket that fits over the w/p seal I think it is a 13/16th and tap in the new one.#8 install the new seal on the impeller be carefull not to scratch it and I use a drop of liquid soap for lubercation for the start up #9 install w/p impeller the bolt should be torqued to 8ft lbs then the cover your done. hope this helps.:typing:

Nov 2, 2010
its not coming out my weep hole. when i look at it from underneath its creating a drip on bottem of the housing the last bolt hole indent almost like its seeping past the oring. should i maby try and put some gasket maker along with the oring ?

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
Remove the cover and inspect the Oring. It may have been pinched in the past. Make sure the dow pin holes are cleaned out on reassembly so the cover fits tight and also put a little grease on the O ring so it stays in place and can seat properly when you tighten it up.

Premium Features