• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built clutch kit review

I now own a 2010 154" Everest, E-start. It has only 90 miles (one ride) on it. I will be riding it again this weekend (two days hopefully) so after that it should have 250 miles or so. At that time, I will probably be thinking of a clutch kit. The sled seems fine so far, other than at 45 MPH plus, it loses a bit of RPM. Still pulls great, but drops off in RRR's. Have not climbed anything yet. It may improve after full break in, will see. Sled is stock other than a MBRP can.

I am hearing this kit works good. Can I get a quick explination what all comes in the kit. Ramps? Adjustable pins? Both clutch springs or just one? Helix, is it a straight angle or multi angle? Gearing recommendations? What is my stock gearing in this sled?

After all that is done, is the engagment nice and smooth or is it an aggresssive trench digger.

Looking forward to hearing these answers, you guys sound very knowledgeable and easy to deal with, that is very hard to find now adays.

Thanks in advance!

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I now own a 2010 154" Everest, E-start. It has only 90 miles (one ride) on it. I will be riding it again this weekend (two days hopefully) so after that it should have 250 miles or so. At that time, I will probably be thinking of a clutch kit. The sled seems fine so far, other than at 45 MPH plus, it loses a bit of RPM. Still pulls great, but drops off in RRR's. Have not climbed anything yet. It may improve after full break in, will see. Sled is stock other than a MBRP can.

I am hearing this kit works good. Can I get a quick explination what all comes in the kit. Ramps? Adjustable pins? Both clutch springs or just one? Helix, is it a straight angle or multi angle? Gearing recommendations? What is my stock gearing in this sled?

After all that is done, is the engagment nice and smooth or is it an aggresssive trench digger.

Looking forward to hearing these answers, you guys sound very knowledgeable and easy to deal with, that is very hard to find now adays.

Thanks in advance!

Ramps, adjustable pins, primary spring, multi angle helix. Stock gearing is 19/45. This is what Paul recommends. Engagement is nice and smooth. Its not super low, but comes on nice and smooth.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Ramps, adjustable pins, primary spring, multi angle helix. Stock gearing is 19/45. This is what Paul recommends. Engagement is nice and smooth. Its not super low, but comes on nice and smooth.

That about sums it up....we came up with a setup for our own sleds and it took off from there....we don't spend much time on the trail... boondocking/climbing and deep snow when we can....this winter sucks by the way!!:face-icon-small-dis
Engagement is about 4,000rpm....designed to build quick RPM and quick track speed for those short/steep bursts...feels very "positive" and linear at low speeds, not buzzy/spongy like the stock setup. Very controllable with the thumb so it doesn't blow the snow out and dig a hole...unless your thumb tells it to.
We recommend lower gearing with our clutching (varies with each setup)....not necessarily with stock clutching but gearing/clutching work together and this is what works with this setup.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Gearing?! Did you do the recommended gearing by RB? I did not at first, found I had the same issues, changed the gearing and now the sled is a world different by 1 Frik'n tooth difference....so I'm happy now:face-icon-small-hap

Yup, already had the 19/45 gearing in it before I put in the kit. And is what RB recommended I run. Tomorrow I will know more! also running 50/50 mix race gas, should help with the high comp. head I'm running. (14.8 comp)

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The '09 setup is as quick as ours on the flats, make a few steep pulls in the deep and let us know the results. :face-icon-small-hap
Any questions about fine tuning to beat your buddies give us a call.
Humm i'm glad you posted this I was wondering about this because I noticed the samething, wasn't that impressive on the flat or trail but get it in the trees and on a climb and there was a improvement.
Recovered track speed quicker when cycling the throttle, but engauges a little too high for my liking when pulling away in the trees,(4200-4300) with the gearing and the 2.5 track (biggest improvement) the track speed was decent for the snow we were in.
As far as clutch temp they were hot had to be careful when changing clickers BUT I was working the sled and it was hot outside and I was overheating almost had to ride without a jacket on, so I cannot make a fair comparison on the clutch temps.
Pauls setup recommendations were right on what he said, I didn't need to fool with the pin weights.
Is it better than the stock 09 clutching yes, IMO the roosterbuilt kit complimented the 2.5 track, I did too much at once (Clutching, gearing and track)to make a fair clutching comparsion.
Am I going to change anything NO.

Last edited:
H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Well what I've found is one size fits most with this kit, snow conditions and elevation play a huge part in how this kit will work. Not knockin the product but its exactly what slp recomends you run with their "kit" meaning pipe/can/porting. the works... I put it up against the race book and I know what ramps they are, and what spring it is. And also the helix. As for me, it didn't work, clutch temps HIGH, (couldn't even touch clutches). I had way better luck with "so far" with the stock set up and 415 ramps. Again like I said in recent posts it amazes me as the rave reviews. People out there must like only running 70 on hard pack and at the end of the day the clutch slipping so much it only pulls 30 mph track speed if that on hard pulls. If your not getting this I'd love to hear you explanation to why, or did you just throw the kit in and BAM! amazing results, because I didn't see it.

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
Well what I've found is one size fits most with this kit, snow conditions and elevation play a huge part in how this kit will work. Not knockin the product but its exactly what slp recomends you run with their "kit" meaning pipe/can/porting. the works... I put it up against the race book and I know what ramps they are, and what spring it is. And also the helix. As for me, it didn't work, clutch temps HIGH, (couldn't even touch clutches). I had way better luck with "so far" with the stock set up and 415 ramps. Again like I said in recent posts it amazes me as the rave reviews. People out there must like only running 70 on hard pack and at the end of the day the clutch slipping so much it only pulls 30 mph track speed if that on hard pulls. If your not getting this I'd love to hear you explanation to why, or did you just throw the kit in and BAM! amazing results, because I didn't see it.

the best thing out there that i've personally seen for clutch temps is the team tied. you can actually put your bare hands on the clutches after a long pull and they are only warm to the touch. half a dozen or so guys around here run the tied and swear by it.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

Hiterhard....
I will not try to dispute your results....your results are what they are.
I can tell you our setup is not close to the SLP setup, especially in the spring and helix....MUCH different....no one makes a helix the same cut as ours.
Typical climbing track speeds at any elevation should be between 42-45 sustainable (not peak) and it shouldn't matter if it's the first pass or if you beat the hills for 20 passes. TRA's run very warm to hot, it's inherent to their enclosed design....but our setup is 40-50 degrees less than stock setups in side by side comparisons....those are numbers I have heard from customers as well.
We have had a very small handful of customers that have had issues....that is going to happen when dealing with all the variables involved with snowmobiles, snow conditions, altitudes, mods etc....we have done our best to help get those people dialed in and offered a full refund if they weren't happy. We have yet to recieve a single setup back.
We have had excellent feedback from customers from sea-level to 13K, we do make adjusments based on riding style, altitude etc...
Again...if your not happy, just send it back. I believe we talked on the phone about this as well. Your results are the exact opposite of what they should be and what we have experienced the last 3 seasons. If you were closer I would be happy to take a look at things and figure out what is different or wrong.....there is definatly something not right. Paul-

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
I'm not trying to stir the pot or make waves, I'm just trying to give an honest review of what I saw. I'm not an unhappy customer, as far as companies go you guys have something good going on there. Customer service and helpfulness is second to none. no bad blood here...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I didn't take it that way....winter is short and guys want their stuff to work and work right. I wouldn't be happy if I paid good $$ and it didn't work as claimed....which is entirely too common nowdays. I PM'd you a couple questions, we'll see if we can make this right one way or another or feel free to call us at the shop during the week.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
hiterhard,
A couple things.

I appreciate your comments and the review.

I am not trying to argue but I can't understand how your sled did not see an improvement with this set-up. I have ridden with and been around a lot of SLP set-up XP's, and many other set-up's by some of the other well known companies. I can tell you that I would put my sled up against any other similiarly equipped XP in the steep and deep.

I would also add that you state that you are not trying to stir the pot yet you are making statements like this is the same kit as SLP's. How did you come to this conclusion? Do you know what RB's helix angles are? It does not say any angles on it, it just says RB1. If you know how did you check for angles?

I understand giving feedback but I think it goes past feedback when you start making claims about what this kit is as far as specific's like it is the same as someone else's this or that.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I still stand by my opinions on this kit. This kit is one of very few aftermarket parts that actually does what it should.
JMO

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
hiterhard,
A couple things.

I appreciate your comments and the review.

I am not trying to argue but I can't understand how your sled did not see an improvement with this set-up. I have ridden with and been around a lot of SLP set-up XP's, and many other set-up's by some of the other well known companies. I can tell you that I would put my sled up against any other similiarly equipped XP in the steep and deep.

I would also add that you state that you are not trying to stir the pot yet you are making statements like this is the same kit as SLP's. How did you come to this conclusion? Do you know what RB's helix angles are? It does not say any angles on it, it just says RB1. If you know how did you check for angles?

I understand giving feedback but I think it goes past feedback when you start making claims about what this kit is as far as specific's like it is the same as someone else's this or that.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I still stand by my opinions on this kit. This kit is one of very few aftermarket parts that actually does what it should.
JMO

Well thats the one thing that I couldn't be sure on what it was, I used ramps to find the ramp angle and springs to find the spring rate. I just wanted to know so I could have a direction to go. After doing that I asked my dealer and was just going by what he said as far as the helix cut angle. You know what happens when you assume..... :) Thats all I was going by. As for my results don't ask me why it didn't work. Thats the reason I got the kit was because of everyone out there saying how amazing it was. And I was sold, I wasn't going to write this review out there because the guys at RB were more than helpful, and they said they'd buy the kit back. I'd like to see SLP stand by a kit like that. But I felt like guys reading this should know every side. And hell, maybe I should have stuck it out and kept messing with it to get it to work, but I wanted to ride too so I went with a set up a lot of guys around here are using. Anyway, hit er hard, It'll go easy.....:)

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I have an 09 800xp 146" stock with HPS can. Put on the RB kit, was not completely satisfied with the results, hot clutches, trenching, better rpms and backshift though. I talked to winterbrew and decided to change my gearing from 21 to 20T top gear. I was not a believer in gearing till now....unbelievable how proper gearing will complement RB's kit. Just got back from Wyoming and this sled ripped all weekend long, out performing other xp's with longer tracks:face-icon-small-sho I love this kit...backshift....peakrpm...all perfect!
thanks RB! :face-icon-small-hap

Do exactly what is suggested and you will be suprised

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Well I still have the kit, and want to give it another honest shot to be truthful, But at the same time I like all of us just want to pull the cord and ride. And I think we've all been there when things aren't working and its frustrating. Maybe I just gave up too soon.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
i got an 09 xpx 163 slp pipe clutching etc ! rode with paul and his friend both of there sleds where set up with RB stuff ! they let me ride there sleds and im tellin u they where worlds different than my slp setup in my opinion !way ezier to ride better backshift /upshift ! held rpms etc ! i left my sled in pauls trailer and wont take it back till i have got rooster built clutching in my sled ! it is a must have ! thanx paul
mike:boink:

ps everyone has a different ridding style ! but what works for most dont mean its for everyone ! kinda like a turbo LOL been there done that !

Last edited:
Premium Features