• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rooster Built clutch kit review

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Skidooer, IMO I really can't see the Rooster Built kit causing higher than stock clutch temps unless something is wrong either with calibration or an issue with the clutches themselves. Have you called Paul and let him know about your findings? I have had a Rooster Built kit on my 09' and now have it on my 10' and found exactly the opposite of your findings to be true. Noticeable clutch temp reduction. I ran my 09 and my 10 sled stock for a couple rides just to see if I could notice a difference. I would not even consider running the stock set-up compared to the RB kit. Benefits that I have seen are lower clutch temps, backshifts and upshifts smoother and faster, holds RPM better and makes higher track speed.

Last edited:
J

J5

Feb 19, 2009
Easton, WA
I am like a kid at Christmas Eve, my 09 XP 154 X is in the shop with Rooster Built as we speak, so excited to see the difference. So far they seem like great guys to work with, can't wait to ride this thing!
Thanks guys!:beer;

J
Feb 11, 2009
california
would like to buy pauls kit:), but iam a little broke after christmas and all:mad:. great kit i think its the best after doing a little reseach, its the one:D:beer;hopefully soon i will get the kit:cool:

Dec 22, 2008
EASTERN, UTAH
$340 for full Kit + $13 Shipping..... Includes: Helix, Ramp, Pin kit, Spring.... Dave & Paul just shipped my kit out a few hours ago!! Riding with BOHICA (Uncle Mark) in CO on Mesa this weekend..... Cant wait for ROOSTER RIDING!!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I am like a kid at Christmas Eve, my 09 XP 154 X is in the shop with Rooster Built as we speak, so excited to see the difference. So far they seem like great guys to work with, can't wait to ride this thing!
Thanks guys!:beer;

ME=JEALOUS!

No job + stock 08 xp clutching sucks.

Can't wait to get my kit!

S

Skidooer

Oct 10, 2001
What were the clutch temps before the kit? Are the clutches aligned correctly? Rider weight? Are they all identical sleds? All things to consider before knocking a great product. If you call him I'm sure he can help you get it to run great. Great product Paul! :D :beer;

The kit is not on my machine it is on my riding friends...so it is not up to me to call him. Stock clutching runs 150 degrees, rooster runs 200 degrees. Clutches are aligned and all bushings/etc... are within spec. Rider weight and sled set up are all alike. I am not knocking the product. I am simply "reviewing" it as the thread asked to do. I think it is great that Pual will stand behind it and Im sure my friend will be calling him. I have been very careful not to bad mouth Paul or the kit. This it just what we saw.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Another thumbs up for the RB kit!!!! :)

My sled worked fine before; but like most of us I am always looking for MORE!

Just for the record, my clutch temps dropped slightly with the kit.

Thanks again Paul!
cheers.gif

T
Jan 3, 2010
i was out riding with some buddies last weekend, and one buddy noticed my "rooster built" decals on the sled(2010 163 X), and asked me how i like it. i told him that i didn't really have anything to compare it to, as i insatlled the kit as soon as the break-in period was over. my buddy asked to try it, and i rode his ('08 154 X)...when he gave me my sled back, he couldn't believe the difference, and neither could I! the stock set up is DEFINATELY lacking! let me just say, the rooster ROCKS!!!!

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
I'll add my $0.02 here. I've got a bastardized 09 Renegade with a 141x2x15 Challenger track and 9t 2.52 drivers.

Roosterbuilt flat out stated they didn't have experience with this short or track and recommended I might want to go with someone else's clutching.

I thought this was cool of them to pass up a possible sale, so I pressed a bit and they figured mid-15g weight, 160/290 primary with a straight ramp Shockwave around 44d would run fine.

Well I bought the setup from them (for a great deal mind you) and turns out it rocks! Ran it last weekend in Valemount BC with 3' fresh snow and I tell you this setup with the "old school" 2.52 pitch 2" Camo works great for my application!

Thanks to Paul and the guys at RB!

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I have had the Rooster kit on my last two sleds and they both have engaged at about 3900-4100rpm. A couple other guys I ride with also have the kit and they all seem to engage within 100-200 rpm of each other.

Dec 22, 2008
EASTERN, UTAH
I just got off the mtn.. my xp pulled 8200 RPM consistently.. I am ready to order the Rooster kit, but scared to ruin a good setup already... Were you guys pulling good R's before the Rooster kit, and it still made a night and day difference with clutching??

UPDATE!! I installed my Rooster Clutch Kit last week, rode this weekend in chest deep powder... I pulled 8200 R's consistent with 5-6 MPH gain in track speed climbing in over 3' of fresh!! Plus cooler Clutches!! One of the best investments so far on my XP! Recommended!!

*Note- make sure to loctite your secondary adjuster if you remove it & reinstall it.. it will back out without loctite* Thanks, Chad:D

R
Dec 18, 2009
I have the rb kit it works great did go with a lot diff gear then recommended after rideing a couple of times the 19/45 had no top end speed i went with a 20/49 and it kicks a** ALL though my partner went with the 09 upgrade clutch and they are side by side and 100 cheaper

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have the rb kit it works great did go with a lot diff gear then recommended after rideing a couple of times the 19/45 had no top end speed i went with a 20/49 and it kicks a** ALL though my partner went with the 09 upgrade clutch and they are side by side and 100 cheaper

Your 20/49 is lower than 19/45 so top speed will be even lower:face-icon-small-con...IMO too low if you are running a 146 or 154. The '09 setup is as quick as ours on the flats, make a few steep pulls in the deep and let us know the results. :face-icon-small-hap
Any questions about fine tuning to beat your buddies give us a call.

Last edited:
X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
If you are side by side with your buddies sled than I would check your calibration. I have compared side by side drag and hill climbing and here are my results. Drag racing can be pretty close to the stock set-up 09-10 but on the hill it is by by birdie. From my findings the RB set-up is noticeably better in all circumstances but side by side drag racing. And it is not noticeably worse in the drag racing either.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Well, here's what I found. I'll say before I start that I'm going to give them a chance to help me with my set up and find out the trouble. What I found......
1. Sled hit 8200, which is great... but lost 5-6mph track speed.
2. Felt like it hit a wall and would not keep pulling
3. Clutches got hot! too hot to change quick clickers without putting some snow on the clutches. Assuming its from belt slip.

Like I said before, I'm going to give them the benifit of the doubt here and will be calling them later in the day to get some advise. just thought I'd tell you my findings... I'll keep you posted

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Just spoke with dave, great support from these guys. You can tell they want happy customers and are willing to help you get ther performance your looking for. Thanks RB. Hope we can get my problem solved soon!

L

liv2mx

Oct 5, 2009
michigan and in the west
so how you getting ahold of them? i have called there 5 times in the last week. now it says the answer machine is full.i have both numbers and no answer on eather.
need some clutching gearing and some other stuff.

Premium Features