• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Common XP issue and maintenance!!

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
B
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys, I have been reading up on Dynamo Joe's website and I have heard so many amazing things about them that it seems worth the 260 bones plus time to put them in. I found a step by step illustration on how to pull the jackshaft and change the helix on secondary. Snowest delivers again...keepin on ripping boys!

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
2009 XP's leak coolant from most of the large clamps. Mine leaves a small green spot on the snow every night. You will need to remove Skidoo clamps and install the old style hose clamp. I only have one clamp thats seeping. Its the one under the fuel tank.

2008 XP, thought I would throw this out. The oil tanks leaks from the cap. Makes quite a mess. I would need to check but replacing the cap with a new one MAY be the fix. Its been changed on the 09.

My '09 also leaks coolant from the one clamp on the heat exchanger in front of the fuel tank. Looks as if you darn near have to pull the motor and fuel tank to get to it. Any suggestions????

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
check the front heat exchanger, some have been coming loose and falling off. checked mine and sure enough, it was loose. replaced rivets and in a month it was loose again. repaired it permanenetly by using panhead bolts and nylock nuts.

Also if you have a 'Doo skidplate, check mounts to ensure they aren't loose as well. ice builds up under the s-module and repeated cycling of the suspension works the skidplate loose.

On 2 of our XP's, the tail light wires rubbed thru where the wires exit the tunnel into the tail light housing. the resulting short caused headlights to flicker at first, then go out as well as the guages, and the sled went into limp mode.

D
Oct 21, 2008
PO Box 274
The S module on the XP is cast aluminum and will break instead of an arm bending when hitting something to the the tune of $ 2000. I learned the hard way. Rip & Grip makes a brace for about $50 that reinforces the S module so that the arm will take the hit which is cheeper and easier to replace. I installed mine in about 2 hrs. I had to remove the skid plate which took most ofthe time.

Does anyone have an answer for this?
Big John & the Other Posters were right-on. The 08 Summit stock spring cup has a bushing in it that showed high wear due to tight tolerances and heat issues, among other possibilities. Replacing with part #417222759 $57.49 in a box will help, but also be ready to inspect & replace rollers and other wear items in you clutch, otherwise you will be right back in there. We also found gearing down Summits 1 to 2 teeth depending on your riding preference helped dissapate heat and improved belt life.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
2008 XP, thought I would throw this out. The oil tanks leaks from the cap. Makes quite a mess. I would need to check but replacing the cap with a new one MAY be the fix. Its been changed on the 09.

You can switch the gas cap with the oil cap to solve this problem

F
Dec 10, 2007
good info guys - another small issue is the small hex head bumper bolt can chew up the outsides of the track lugs on some machines. Must be due to the minimal amount of space between the track and tunnel? Other members have had this problem too - I'm trying a different type of bolt this year - hope it helps

I've got this same issue. Dealer says its under warrenty and they will take care of it.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
My '09 also leaks coolant from the one clamp on the heat exchanger in front of the fuel tank. Looks as if you darn near have to pull the motor and fuel tank to get to it. Any suggestions????

My '08 leaks once in awhile also, as you have seen it is almost impossible to get at. I don't think there is alot a guy can do unless you want to start pulling your sled apart.

O
Oct 11, 2009
So far this has been a great read on this forum. I have a new XP and was wondering if the running boards bend and stretch like they did on the 05 and 06's. I put the reinforcement kit on and that stopped it. I am going to do my new sled, but they said the kit now goes on the out side and top of the boards not underneath. I guess the trouble is I really don't like that. Does anyone know of one that is "hiden"? Thanks

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001

it can be done without removing tank.dikes and slip a new one around.

Y

yam_apex91469

Jan 24, 2007
Byron, IL
Here's a link to Dootalk about the oil pump cable fraying.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=326274

I checked mine for this and it was fine. Checked the rear engine mount
bolt that Winter Brew talked about and it was fine also.
But, that said it was good to check to be sure.

is there room to get to the cable after pulling the carbs? My buddies sled has the heat exchanger out of it and it's real easy to change his, but looks tight with the heat exchanger in

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
The S module on the XP is cast aluminum and will break instead of an arm bending when hitting something to the the tune of $ 2000. I learned the hard way. Rip & Grip makes a brace for about $50 that reinforces the S module so that the arm will take the hit which is cheeper and easier to replace. I installed mine in about 2 hrs. I had to remove the skid plate which took most ofthe time.

Can someone post direction for the install and a link to the part that reinforces the S module.

Thanks,

Premium Features