• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know anything about Beartooth devices

N

nodak540

Mar 24, 2010
So, I know these aren't shipping yet, but I hadn't heard anything about these before. Anyone have any additional info? Ten mile communication on 900 MHz seems very unrealistic to me. Not to mention that leaving your cell phone on while riding is a no-no due to beacon interference.

www.beartooth.com

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Beartooth has been trying for 2-3 years now. First it was going to be frs/gmrs. Then there was also going to be an amateur radio version. The fcc shot them down on the frs/gmrs because of the antiquated rules stating analog communications only. (Garmin got a variance allowing digital location information on the rino.) So, now beartooth is in the 900mhz band and evidently claiming 10mi. I dont see getting that kind of range in the backcountry. And having it bluetoothed to your smart phone? How does that work? Do you have to use it as if you are making a phone call? No option for a speaker mic.
My sled location/communication is, smart phone in airplane mode running backcountry navigator and a cheap chinese radio (baofeng) on an frs channel, in my pack with a speaker mic on my shoulder strap. If it gets bad enough that I have to use gps to find someone, he better be able to read his coordinate to me over the radio.....
Having said all that, there is a radio that will send gps info everytime it transmitts audio. But, all it gives is coordinate. If it would display direction and distance, I'd be all over it. Tyt md-380 gps. It is digital and will be some difficult from a radio neophyte to setup.....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Any feedback on Beartooth FOR OUT OF SERVICE CELL COMMUNICATION ON THE MOUNTIAN?

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hc5bdnqd4xk" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Where does the speaker mic connect on this Beartooth thing?
I don't want to take off my gloves, dig around in a pocket, drag out my phone, just to find out that the guy I'm looking for stopped on the trail to take a leak.....
These Beartooth things look they would be good for hiking, mall, disneyland, ECT. But I don't see them working well for sledding unless, you only use it for its location tx/rx functions.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I think you need cell service also? Cool idea for the right App. and good service. In Wyoming the coverage can be good and bad. A good radio will get the job done in the mountains.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There main design feature is that they do NOT need cell service... they work without cell service. ("Talk and text, even with no service")

I agree with blastco2 on digging around for your phone... but there is no external mic.... it IS a cell phone accessory.... I'd keep mine in my handlebar bag for easy access since it's heated and fast.. inside an otter box.

I'd be tempted to just get a cheapie smartphone just for use on the sled.

The location, text and talk feature look great... i wonder about range in the mountains though.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
To answer the range ?
UHF radio signals travel much the same as light.
Imagine, the world is completely dark. NO light, the antenna is a 4 watt light bulb. Clearly seeing the light is the same as recieving a strong radio signal. Seeing just the glow is recieving a weak signal....
Having said that, it should be noted that rf energy will bend with the curve of the earth slightly more than light.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Premium Features