• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: OFT's "Big Nutz Axle kit for OEM Rails"

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its quite possible that is exactly what my problem is.
But I want to take it out on another ride and LOOK to see if there is visible water dripping from the underside of the tunnel down on to the wheel or not.

It seems highly likely the exhaust IS the culprit, but I want to be sure myself before I say it's guilty. :face-icon-small-hap

If that is the case, then your solution looks like pretty much the only way to go. Somehow the water would have to be diverted and channeled onto the track and away from the wheels.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes, its pretty much identical on both sides.

This last weekend's ride it was Wet slush that formed around both of the wheels.
While the picture makes it look like a block of SOLID ICE, this time is was mostly thick wet slush the breaks off easily with the tip of your boot.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Have not come up with a solid solution for the upper wheels.
I am going to try spraying them with some lubricants this winter to see if that will help stop the ice from forming on them.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
christopher:

We tested a bunch of undertunnel exhaust configurations last winter, and the one common denominator was the amount of ice that stuck to the suspension components....the colder the weather...the worse it got.

Unfortunately when 800 deg F humid exhaust hits snow dust, the results are what you'd expect.....alot of melt water that freezes on contact.

We also had suspension components freeze solid on cold days (below -10C) so you definitely have to keep an eye on it. We never found a good solution, but ran out of time (and cold weather) to test enough....but fortunately there is always this winter!

OTM

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For what its worth.....

I never saw ANY other buildup anywhere on the sled.

The ONLY place I had this problem was on the UPPER METAL Wheels.

My gut feeling is that if I simply replaced those 2 wheels with the OEM Plastic ones, the problem would vanish away.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is no particular solution for me.
The under the tunnel exhaust + the Metal wheels = Ice when the temps were JUST RIGHT.

I put NO fault at all on the wheels or the Exhaust.
Its just the combination of the two that caused the problem.

I have since upgraded to a KMOD suspension and the OFT Wheels are still on my stock skid.

natedawgedog

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2011
dlg ak
For what its worth.....

I never saw ANY other buildup anywhere on the sled.

The ONLY place I had this problem was on the UPPER METAL Wheels.

My gut feeling is that if I simply replaced those 2 wheels with the OEM Plastic ones, the problem would vanish away.

even with the stock plastic wheels with my undertunnel exhaust they ice up just like your pictures.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Odd.
With the plastic wheels I never saw any build up or adhesion.
If I still had the metal wheels I would be looking at coatings.
I seem to remember coming across an under tunnel spray coating to remove ice build up. I was going to try some of that on the wheels before I swapped out the skid and went with KMOD.

natedawgedog

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2011
dlg ak
Odd.
With the plastic wheels I never saw any build up or adhesion.
If I still had the metal wheels I would be looking at coatings.
I seem to remember coming across an under tunnel spray coating to remove ice build up. I was going to try some of that on the wheels before I swapped out the skid and went with KMOD.

I think the real culprit in my case now that I think about it is the steel suspension drop brackets is what probably caused my ice buildup there, we shall see this winter, ive got mpi tunnel coolers to install, smaller muffler for my undertunnel exhaust, arctic cat 141" float suspension set back to 144" to install on custom aluminum drop brackets.

spray coatings are a waste of money. tried a few of them last winter, save that money for gas or other mods.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Never had a chance to evaluate any of the coatings, so don't know if they work or not.

Can say this, the under tunnel exhaust cuts down on snow buildup!!

P

powderken

Jan 29, 2008
Janesville WI.
Wheels icing up

Stock exaust, 09 Apex MCI boosted, I'd like to find a cure for this problem. When I stop the snow melts and forms ice on my stock wheels. The wheels don't turn until I break the ice. Too much drag too. I notice it when I back off the throttle. No flat spots on the wheels yet!:face-icon-small-con

W
Dec 19, 2012
Exhaust Issues

Is Anyone Making Nytro Exhaust that is Ceramic coated Inside and Out ?This can Significantly reduce Muffler and pipe External temperatures to the point where on a Bike you dont even need Heat shields....The internal coating keeps exhaust temp higher Increasing Flow and Velocity which equals increased HP.....The same reason they use heat wrap on Drag Bikes,Cars etc..The lower External temp should Also help with icing issues, a WIN WIN....

Premium Features