• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone install a KMOD Skid on their 850?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I really like my 19 175 with Doo Foxes. Can't believe I posted that.
19 Freeride 154 is already tanked, full compression on all 4 shocks and still too soft. Was good when fresh.

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
Did you buy the Skid Christopher? I would assume you would do a Fully comprehensive Review for this Skid soon if you did. there is very little feedback about this skid out there other than"I like it" detail. $3 grand is a lot of mullah to try a product out.

Rod

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Did you buy the Skid Christopher? I would assume you would do a Fully comprehensive Review for this Skid soon if you did. there is very little feedback about this skid out there other than"I like it" detail. $3 grand is a lot of mullah to try a product out.

Rod
I have NOT pulled the trigger, though I probably will.

I did a KMOD on my Supercharged Nytro 6 years ago and really liked it.
And I am THINKING of turning my 2019 Doo into a full mod sled.
So the KMOD suspesion would be a good solid starting point for that project.

And since Kevin happens to be local and a friend of mine, it makes doing the install a lot more fun:face-icon-small-hap. But like everything, I LIKE to hear from other people before I jump into major project.

Yesterday I spent the day out riding here in Southeast Idaho on my 850. Had one of THE most fun days I can remember sledding. We were profoundly lucky and found miles and Miles and MILES of untracked gorgeous snow from 6-18" deep all day long. I think I spent more hours in the trees yesterday than any other day of my life. Long story short, I REALLY like the way the 850 rides, and mine is just BONE FREAKING STOCK right now. I haven't touched anything on it "YET".

When I did the full Mod on my Nytro it Desperately NEEDED every single upgrade I made. I don't get the feeling that the 850 "Needs" any of my list of possible upgrades to be a solid well performing sled, like the Nytro did. So each of these items will only be "Fine Tuning" it and trying to enhance at making better what BRP already made Good.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
6c25638bc28642c1e85a4d47060c8f0c.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And the KMOD site is fully back on line!

http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/ski-doo

KMOD%20GEN%20III-MS.jpg

K MOD Turn Key skid for the Gen 4
Now that we have the K Motion, we offer a complete turn key suspension for the Gen 4 154 & 165 Ski Doo.

K Motion's 4 degree positive stops and ridged front arm gives the maneuverability of the Gen 4 with more predictability and control than the stock suspension.

4 stages of coupling to help control the wheelie monster that the Gen 4 is known for. Adjusts in seconds with the turn of your hand, no tools.
Stock like handling on #1.

Need more track in the snow for technical trees and boondocking then use # 2.

For the straight up where you need the skis planted and full control, use # 3 or # 4.

Great for stock sleds, big bores and especially turbos.
Custom mounting that leaves the stock ride height and weight distribution of the stock vehicle.

20 Position compression clicker Raptor shocks, standard front and rear.
Adjustable from 140lb rider to 240lb rider all in the same package, no re-valving or spring changes.

Drastically increase the speed over moguls and through the whoops, with a very compliant smooth ride down the trail.

Traditional K MOD strength and durability that will hold up for years of service.

K Motion, 4 degrees movement on each side with positive stops. This keeps the vehicle from moving too much, making the maneuvers very predictable and helps in maintaining control. Lock out feature if preferred.
Add K Motion for $200

Add Raptor Rear Track Shock w/20 position compression AND rebound adjustment (Not available with K Motion) for $120

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
I have NOT pulled the trigger, though I probably will.

I did a KMOD on my Supercharged Nytro 6 years ago and really liked it.
And I am THINKING of turning my 2019 Doo into a full mod sled.
So the KMOD suspesion would be a good solid starting point for that project.

And since Kevin happens to be local and a friend of mine, it makes doing the install a lot more fun:face-icon-small-hap. But like everything, I LIKE to hear from other people before I jump into major project.

Yesterday I spent the day out riding here in Southeast Idaho on my 850. Had one of THE most fun days I can remember sledding. We were profoundly lucky and found miles and Miles and MILES of untracked gorgeous snow from 6-18" deep all day long. I think I spent more hours in the trees yesterday than any other day of my life. Long story short, I REALLY like the way the 850 rides, and mine is just BONE FREAKING STOCK right now. I haven't touched anything on it "YET".

When I did the full Mod on my Nytro it Desperately NEEDED every single upgrade I made. I don't get the feeling that the 850 "Needs" any of my list of possible upgrades to be a solid well performing sled, like the Nytro did. So each of these items will only be "Fine Tuning" it and trying to enhance at making better what BRP already made Good.

Well hurry up and GET IT! and let us know your thoughts, its only $3000 of your money. is there anything special about installing it or pretty straight forward? I'm interested in one, but I have bought lots of hype/junk before and am trying to be a little Smarter as I get older.. Rod

Z

Zx

Dec 12, 2009
Another good alternative is redline performance suspension products. They make a full coupled skid and a coupled conversion you can bolt into your stock skid. Big difference over stock.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Can anyone say exactly what the differences are between the Gen II and Gen III? The website doesn't really say.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Can anyone say exactly what the differences are between the Gen II and Gen III? The website doesn't really say.

See the bottom-right of the picture in post #26 by Christopher.

Lighter weight comes via more cutouts in the rails, smaller diameter hardware, thinner tubing on the arms, and one limiter strap vs two before.

Not sure if all this applies on the Doo version, but for the cat the shocks are shorter (lower ride height closer to stock and less planted feel), rear coupler block has less coupling on #1, and mounting location of coupler block is farther back.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had the Gen II on my 872 Trystad XM 163”. Worked as advertised. I fiddled around with the standard rear spring it shipped with and I couldn’t get it stiff enough. Kevin sent me the fat boy rear spring and that made all the difference. Real nice wheelie control without making the sled dead feeling and hard to side hill on #3 and #4 settings. Sled really wanted to wheelie out on steep climbs before this. I had the Kmotion feature too, made the sled more predictable in technical riding. Still VERY easy to initiate the side hill but way more predictable and smooth on edge.
I sold the sled to my buddy and its now his daughters sled. We put the standard spring back in and it works great for her. His wife said it was the easiest sidehilling sled she had ever ridden. I also had the front Raptor shocks but these turned out to be way to stiff for his 100lb daughter.
This was a 2015 model. Skid has been on the sled for 3 hard season and now 2 a lot less hard and not one broken anything ever. Very well made and strong.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I had the Gen II on my 872 Trystad XM 163”. Worked as advertised. I fiddled around with the standard rear spring it shipped with and I couldn’t get it stiff enough. Kevin sent me the fat boy rear spring and that made all the difference. Real nice wheelie control without making the sled dead feeling and hard to side hill on #3 and #4 settings. Sled really wanted to wheelie out on steep climbs before this. I had the Kmotion feature too, made the sled more predictable in technical riding. Still VERY easy to initiate the side hill but way more predictable and smooth on edge.
Did you try it with the Kmotion locked out at all? I see Kevin makes it easy to lock out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I need to rattle Kevin's Cage about this.
I just keep losing track of this project while working on the new SnoWest forum code.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Im on KMOD # 3 my Axys has rear and front suspensions from KMOD , NO better mod if your sled handles and rides great every things better .

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
I have run the Rasmussen suspension on my 17, zbroz coilover conversion on my 19 and kmod on last years freeride. I just installed a kmod with 9" big wheel kit on my 21 turbo. While they're all much better than stock, the kmod, in my experience, is easily the best of the 3 I've tried

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
2020.5 turbo 165 Front Fox qs3 coil and Zollinger 1.25 lift spindle kit, Rear K-Mod qs3 Fox coil. Very impressed how well it gets on top of snow, improved ride in all conditions, This setup works great for me.

Premium Features