• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Arms....ZRP vs SLP

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The 175 is already geared 21/53 or 2.52 in the chain case. Add in the 3.5” drivers and final gear ratio is even lower. It already only tops out at 58 mph.

I could gear down, though I’m guessing the way it is set up the 175s are most likely running on the outside of the 1:1 efficiency on the clutch while climbing. Which will create more heat from slipping. Of coarse I could be guessing wrong.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The Doo 175 with 21/53gears is 62mph @ 1-1. 73mph in overdrive.
If you currently top out at 58mph, the belt is below 1-1 ratio. On a good, slow speed wfo chew if you are 37mph, the belt is probably around a 2-1 ratio.
The higher the belt runs in the primary, the faster you will go.
If you gear down to say, a 19/53, the belt will ride higher on the primary and closer to 1-1, the clutch sheaves have more belt to grip on, less radius so it is more efficient than 2-1, less load on the drive system which means less heat and better performance.
19/53 is 57mph@1-1, 67mph@full overdrive. There is not much chance to run out of gears on a 175 unless wfo on a icy smooth lake.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
As you know, we don't have stellar snow here in Central Wa, but when I have gotten into some good stuff and done some climbing it is working fantastic. Makes the sled pull hard and keep pulling. Backshift is smooth and quick. Sled seems to work more efficiently. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of this clutch kit.

Excellent! Getting mine installed tommorow!

Ace

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Does anyone have a picture of the mds, slp and stock 965 ramps side by side for a comparison? It seems the slp and mds have a flatter profile. Does this make them more aggressive and grip the belt harder? Just trying to understand it better.

Premium Features