• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The future for yamaha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yamaha has recently filed for a patent for a carbon fiber-reinforced chassis for a snowmobile & a trademark issued for the name "Mountain Max"! Coincidence??

Could it be that the Mountain Max is going to stage a return to the market place.....:face-icon-small-win

Wrenchmaster

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
B.C. Canada
From what I heard (hearsay) Yamaha reps have asked what it'll take to get back in the mountain sled market, when dealers say, 2 stroke 800, Yami reps say, no way they're going back to 2 Strokes. I've been reading rumors about a new chassis for '20, not Cat, but a Yamaha built chassis. Seeing a cat 600 2T in a Yamaha branded sled tells me that they'll use the Cat 800 in their own chassis, instead of their engine in a Cat chassis like last time. When Cat needed an engine supplier and help developing their own engines, Yamaha helped and traded for chassis, now Yamaha needs a 2 stroke for their chassis and will trade for that this time? maybe there will be a cat version of the Yamaha Mountain max?

Whatever happens, I hope it's a good mountain sled like the old MM was, all my Yamaha dirtbikes, streetbikes, and sleds were awesome, such good engines

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
From what I heard (hearsay) Yamaha reps have asked what it'll take to get back in the mountain sled market, when dealers say, 2 stroke 800, Yami reps say, no way they're going back to 2 Strokes. I've been reading rumors about a new chassis for '20, not Cat, but a Yamaha built chassis. Seeing a cat 600 2T in a Yamaha branded sled tells me that they'll use the Cat 800 in their own chassis, instead of their engine in a Cat chassis like last time. When Cat needed an engine supplier and help developing their own engines, Yamaha helped and traded for chassis, now Yamaha needs a 2 stroke for their chassis and will trade for that this time? maybe there will be a cat version of the Yamaha Mountain max?

Whatever happens, I hope it's a good mountain sled like the old MM was, all my Yamaha dirtbikes, streetbikes, and sleds were awesome, such good engines

Yamaha is known as an engine builder first and foremost. For them to use a Cat engine in their chassis, would go against everything they have stood for.. but like you said, they are using a rebranded Cat Norseman in Europe as their own.. so who knows.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yamaha are you reading. Build a lightweight 190 hp 2500 mile motor one year warranty. Don't worry about longevity fast lightweight power geter done.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
A 500CC MotoGP roadrace 2 stroke bike, yes - a dirt bike, not happening.

Although, 180HP would've been low on power for those race bikes. I think they were pushing over 200.

Ok. I'll give you that. But not like its production. I don't think I would want to rebuild the motor after every ride.

M
Jan 21, 2019
new yamaha patents

OK... here we go!!!yamaha patented 2 new chassis in december one shows three exhaust ports and the other frame has four ports!!!!also they patented a supercharger too, not a turbo a supercharger that runs off the crank!!!and yes both frames are made of Carbon fiber!!!These are facts just look for yourself on the U.S patent site!!!

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
OK... here we go!!!yamaha patented 2 new chassis in december one shows three exhaust ports and the other frame has four ports!!!!also they patented a supercharger too, not a turbo a supercharger that runs off the crank!!!and yes both frames are made of Carbon fiber!!!These are facts just look for yourself on the U.S patent site!!!

That's Cool, but still wish they would re-enter the 2 stroke market; Hope to ride with a friend who has a refurbished Mountain Max this week!

F
Mar 11, 2015

Preferred embodiment's of the present invention provide a snowmobile including a tunnel portion that is made of a carbon fiber-reinforced plastic material and is guaranteed to have a sufficient strength and a sufficient rigidity with no metal frame being provided. You may not see it for 2020 but it is in the works. US Patient
United States Patent Application 2016 0068228Kind CodeA1YASUDA; Atsushi ; et al.March 10, 2016

Reading that reminds of the newer dirtbike composite subframes, nothing game changing but should reduce weight some.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK... here we go!!!yamaha patented 2 new chassis in december one shows three exhaust ports and the other frame has four exhaust ports!!!!also they patented a supercharger too, not a turbo a supercharger that runs off the crank!!!and yes both frames are made of Carbon fiber!!!These are facts just look for yourself on the U.S patent site!!!

Someone is paying attention...:face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That's Cool, but still wish they would re-enter the 2 stroke market; Hope to ride with a friend who has a refurbished Mountain Max this week!

Its NOT going to happen.
Yamaha is committed to FOUR STROKE.

BUT

Make absolutely no mistake about it.
Yamaha DOES have the Technology and Manufacturing capability of producing a HIGH HORSEPOWER LOW WEIGHT Engine.

They just don't see the market share for sales in the Mountain Segment to justify the capitol investment. Its just a matter of Return on Investment to Corporate HQ.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Its NOT going to happen.
Yamaha is committed to FOUR STROKE.

BUT

Make absolutely no mistake about it.
Yamaha DOES have the Technology and Manufacturing capability of producing a HIGH HORSEPOWER LOW WEIGHT Engine.

They just don't see the market share for sales in the Mountain Segment to justify the capitol investment. Its just a matter of Return on Investment to Corporate HQ.

I know but sometimes it's not all about the money it's called ego,balls,kick some xxx

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Yep in 2002 got a look at 800 twin Yamaha fuel injection at Cooke city. To bad they went to 4 stroke.

Premium Features