• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

water pump shaft removal

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Have an 18' 800 lost a piston on and took out the case. Have a new case, but can't figure out how to get the water pump shaft out of the old case. Cases are apart and crank is out. Water pump impeller is off and removed the snap ring and bushing from the opposite side. Seems that the seal between the impeller and case are keeping it in. Ive tried googling it and can't find anything.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Have an 18' 800 lost a piston on and took out the case. Have a new case, but can't figure out how to get the water pump shaft out of the old case. Cases are apart and crank is out. Water pump impeller is off and removed the snap ring and bushing from the opposite side. Seems that the seal between the impeller and case are keeping it in. Ive tried googling it and can't find anything.

You have to dig out the mechanical seal that's right behind the impeller. You will also have to buy a new mechanical seal AND the special tool to install it. It's a pain, but it is doable. You can get the mechanical seal, inner seal, cover gasket and the tool here:

Indy Specialties

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Fwiw ive replaced 2 mechanical seals before without the tool and didnt have an issue, was probably 5 years ago but i believe i just used a socket.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Easier way

You have to dig out the mechanical seal that's right behind the impeller. You will also have to buy a new mechanical seal AND the special tool to install it. It's a pain, but it is doable. You can get the mechanical seal, inner seal, cover gasket and the tool here:

Indy Specialties

Hey Rich..... There is an easier way then digging I out.

Mind you....... The motor must be on the Bench.

You tip the motor upside down...... Find the little 6mm waterpump bushing locator screw.

Heat the case on both sides around the screw to loosen the Loctite and remove it.

Now with the oil pump removed you can push the shaft out towards the water pump from the oil pump side and the seal pushes right out.

This is how we get them out without marring up the case.

When reinstalling the brass boss use a black sharpie to locate the screw hole.... Deburr it first...... Tap it in place then add a touch of blow Loctite install the shaft from the oil pump side ... ( don't Forget machined spacers ) any parts website will show you locations.

Then for installation........ We bolt a flat stop plate onto the oil pump side so you can press the rotary in..... Or tap in with dead blow hammer ( I don't like this one ) but have seen it done..... And it works.

Keep in mind it's a polished glass faced seal....... Very brittle.

If the motor is in the sled the the dig out way is most common.... SUCKS !

Dan

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Good info to know, other than no need to remove the oil pump on the 800HO though. I agree, it will be an absolute nightmare if the engine is in the chassis to do this, mine was out when I did this on my engine last spring.

Hey Rich..... There is an easier way then digging I out.

Mind you....... The motor must be on the Bench.

You tip the motor upside down...... Find the little 6mm waterpump bushing locator screw.

Heat the case on both sides around the screw to loosen the Loctite and remove it.

Now with the oil pump removed you can push the shaft out towards the water pump from the oil pump side and the seal pushes right out.

This is how we get them out without marring up the case.

When reinstalling the brass boss use a black sharpie to locate the screw hole.... Deburr it first...... Tap it in place then add a touch of blow Loctite install the shaft from the oil pump side ... ( don't Forget machined spacers ) any parts website will show you locations.

Then for installation........ We bolt a flat stop plate onto the oil pump side so you can press the rotary in..... Or tap in with dead blow hammer ( I don't like this one ) but have seen it done..... And it works.

Keep in mind it's a polished glass faced seal....... Very brittle.

If the motor is in the sled the the dig out way is most common.... SUCKS !

Dan

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Thanks for the informative info. Had the whole case apart with crank out so it was pretty easy once you understand the seal holds it in and the little bolt holds the bushing in.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
does anyone know the orientation of that small black rubber seal ? like which way does the spring face , either the water pump impeller or the gear drive cavity ?

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I found this but I cant decipher the last line !!

4. Remove the impeller nut, impeller and washers from the cross shaft.
5. Carefully pry the mechanical seal and seal out of the crankcase.
6. Water pump assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Always use new seals and gaskets during assembly.
7. To remove the oil pump, the engine must be removed from the engine compartment. Remove the two fasteners then pull the pump out of the crankcase bore. Discard the o-ring.
8. The cross shaft can be extracted from the water pump side of the crankcase.
9. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Always use new o-rings, seals and gaskets during assembly.
10. Install a new seal onto the shaft from the water pump side.
11. To install a new water pump seal, use the seal installation tool, PN 2872010. Verify the seal lips are facing the cross shaft gear

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I called Indy dan he verified , its a oil seal and the spring faces the oil cavity . thank you Indy Dan

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Does any one know the measurement of the Mechanical seal installation tool , namely I just need the depth of the cut out area , is it 8.4 mm ?
say 8.4 mm from the outer edge of the tool to the inner step of the tool ?

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Hello everyone , , I just got off the phone with Devon at Indy Dan, very knowledgeable and helpful and he has the exact right Mechanical seal driver there for 25 dollars , money well spent , give him a call for all you cross shaft mechanical seal woes plus they have a cool videos on clutches and engine upgrades on FB page .
Devon fixed me up in seconds that google couldn't do in Days of searching. Thanks Devon (@Indy DAN)

Premium Features