• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I turn 50 in March. I've been serious about riding since 1980 and got serious about back country riding in 1995. Now my son (22) has moved back home and I'm stoked to have a riding partner that's available all the time. I told the wife I was going to ride until I was 70, but some of the dudes responding here have convinced me that's a short term goal.

doozy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2012
I'LL be 60 in March , still enjoy riding just cant ride as hard as i used to , have a couple buddies my age that i go with so not a big deal to any of us , we are all at about the same level . no big cornis drops or big long climbs or really long side hilling , but we still have a good time, we do seem to hang with the youngins in the bar , haha

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Turned 67 last September, still riding hard, just smarter, better decisions. Still love the thrill of deep snow, carving, sidehilling, technical boondocking and hills - no more steep, jumps or drops. Two total knee replacements and back surgery, try to stay in decent shape, get tired a little sooner than before,more rests and not as good at getting unstuck!

Like the T shirts!

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I'm old but I can still make the younguns sit and watch through utter fear. Always a pile of carnage when young sledders try to follow. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Over 50, but not sure if I'm still Shredding it..... Haven't been out yet this season to see if I still have guts or turned into a trail rider after turning 50 over summer....lol

Last edited:

Old mtn. man

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2012
S.W. Alberta
64 1/2 years old and still givin' 'er. Just bought a '19 Summit X 175 with SHOT, had to have the shot as Iam getting up there. LOL Have been riding in the mountains of SE B.C. and SW Alberta all my life and am not about to stop anytime soon. Damn near everyone I ride with is alot younger than me but I still go everywhere they go and the odd time some places that they can't. Definately have learned to ride alot smarter over the years. Still have a smile on my face alot and make the young ones smile and shake their heads at times too.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
64 1/2 years old and still givin' 'er. Just bought a '19 Summit X 175 with SHOT, had to have the shot as Iam getting up there. LOL Have been riding in the mountains of SE B.C. and SW Alberta all my life and am not about to stop anytime soon. Damn near everyone I ride with is alot younger than me but I still go everywhere they go and the odd time some places that they can't. Definately have learned to ride alot smarter over the years. Still have a smile on my face alot and make the young ones smile and shake their heads at times too.

Way to go OMM! Hope to emulate you and follow in your footsteps. I picked up the same sled and love it. I'm 51 riding with a 53 and 61 year old plus assorted young guys including my two sons 18 and 22. I've got 21 days in so far and over the Christmas break had the young guys wanting to take a day off while the "experienced" crew carried on. Old guys rule!

Old mtn. man

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2012
S.W. Alberta
Good for you. I live down in the Crows nest pass. I ride here some what, but most of my riding is over in Fernie area, as that is where I'm from. If you are looking for someone new to ride with sometime give me a shout.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
65 and new sled

Decided to get a new 850 Axys and upgrade from 2015 Pro. Just got back from Dubois and had a ball with it. Just need to keep the ibuprofen handy. And as many of you indicate, most of my riding buddies are younger. But they still want me around.

BOULDERBOB

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2008
Boulder, Co
I refuse to quit yet. 63 1/2, have had triple bypass (Dec. 2016), had to have my sternum plated due to fractures from the bypass (Oct 2018) and was out boon docking just this last weekend (finally was cleared to start riding again) and loving it.
Have no intention of quitting anytime soon! :face-icon-small-hap

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am going to purchase holdover of snow check this spring. I.love the ski doo just to play around with, but for me when it gets tough it doesn't work as well as my axys. There is an alpha in our group. It seems to work great. Thinking about a demo ride on one of those next weekend. It will be a 850 174 Polaris snow checked, a hold over 850 175 and hope I can spend a little $ to settle down the suspension, or possibly an alpha.

Last edited:

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I will be 56 at the end of March and still ride Hard.<div>My dad is 78 and his best friend is 84 and they ride with us all the time and do awesome. They are a true inspiration to me. I hope I can still ride at that age!!</div>

riding68

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2019
68 and still riding the mountains buddies I ride with range from 20s to pushing 80. We are usually out for at least 8 hrs a ride. Didnt start riding till I was 55.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
shedding the shred

I avoid the shredders when possible, I have hauled two shredders out of the back country this winter, all good fun, but hey you break it..........can ruin the day for everybody.

I have friends riding 80, mid weekers that avoid the pilgrims on weekends.

I got no mid week bikers so I ride the weekends with..............well just my 30 year riding partner and we do cross a few tracks now and then.

Only issue getting older is I don't find the zero blowing blizzard 25 miles from the truck as exciting as I once did.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
shedding the shred

I avoid the shredders when possible, I have hauled two shredders out of the back country this winter, all good fun, but hey you break it..........can ruin the day for everybody.

I have friends riding 80, mid weekers that avoid the pilgrims on weekends.

I got no mid week bikers so I ride the weekends with..............well just my 30 year riding partner and we do cross a few tracks now and then.

Only issue getting older is I don't find the zero blowing blizzard 25 miles from the truck as exciting as I once did.

picture.php

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks for the inspiration!

As usual, when to comes to needing advice or inspiration the Snowest Forum and it's members come through for me...

I am 45 haven't ridden much at all over last several years attributing my not-so-great physical condition to bad ankles and a benign (non cancerous) tumor on one of my adrenal glands first diagnosed 15 years ago...

Not quite a month ago, on Sunday the 14th of April, I suffered a mild stroke while playing video games with my oldest son who is 12. I was rushed to the ER, given tPA to dissolve the blod clot causing the stroke.

After a number of MRI's CT's, and other tests the next day, it was determined the stroke was caused by a previously undiagnosed tumor in the left upper attrium of the heart. A small embolism (clot) was believed to have come loose from the tumor, causing the stroke. Early in the morning of the 16th I underwent open heart surgery to remove the tumor (aka myxoma).

Apparently, my MRI showed areas of the brain where older, healed strokes had occured as well as areas of newer unhealed strokes.

The Good Lord could have easily called me home through all of this or left me with impairments requiring extensive therapy to manage. As such I am functionng (at my estimate) just about where I was prior to the stroke.

All of this has given me new pause to want to get back into riding, hunting with my son, getting in shape, and renewing those activities and connections that I've taken for granted the last several years. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this post for your inspiration!

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
59. Been riding most years since 71. Health limits my strength/skills now, but goal is 12+ rides a year and enjoy taking newbies out. Ride a 14 pro and have an 07 600 rank as a buddy sled. Already pumped to hit the snow again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
When this thread started I think I was 68 now I'm 70 and headed for a new season on my new last year 850 Doo. My buddies got older as I did but we work real hard at keeping each other young. If in doubt we take along a couple young guns and watch them ride. It's still a great sport.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
This thread has been primetime. It's amazing to see how many of us "old dudes" are still out there enjoying the sport. Yup, age doesn't matter. I originally posted back in 11-17(#62) and it's great to see the thread is still going strong 2 yrs. later.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming season.

Premium Features