• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Tank Leak

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Morning,

My oil tank is leaking on my 17, what are the fixes other are using. I roll the sled a lot when I get it stuck and it made quite a mess over the weekend. I know others have had this problem but the search feature on this form really leaves a lot to be desired and I can never seem to find the simple stuff. What are you guys doing to fix this?

Thanks.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
easy to get the oil cap on cross threaded and it will leak then wnen rolled over, been there and done that! I have replaced my caps with Doo caps and it is still easy to cross thread them after filling with oil.
gtwitch in wyoming

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
easy to get the oil cap on cross threaded and it will leak then wnen rolled over, been there and done that! I have replaced my caps with Doo caps and it is still easy to cross thread them after filling with oil.
gtwitch in wyoming

I have heard of that fix, didnt know if it worked or not. I dont believe that its cross threaded, I have looked at both the tank and the cap and the threads looked crisp.... I have cleaned the mess that it made now.. so I am going to order a ring and give that a shot

G
Dec 20, 2007
oil leak

Honestly..do both. I had the same problem, and installed the neck sleeve and a doo cap. The sleeve does an excellent job of not allowing the threads to deform. The doo cap is easier to get take on and off straight, and has a bettering venting system in it to prevent tank vacuum.

Sleeve: $15 cdn
Cap: $12 cdn

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, pretty easy to even just overtighten the cap and cause the tank to deform o nthe flats between threads. makes a pretty dumb mess.

I found just being more diligent about not cranking the thing down solved it for me.

Premium Features