• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot engine seized

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
My engine seized today in the mountains. First I heard a strange hissing sound for about 3 second then it died. The sled is in break in period at about 13hours.
I am unable to turn the engine with the pull cord. Sled was used in a normal way, no overheating, no other issues whatsoever

Upon inspection there is no visible issue with the engine. 2 other people in my city also had engine failures. One had the oil pipe jump out with the engine bay full of spilled oil. This is not what happened with my engine. Other one had exactly the problem like me with no visible issue.

thoughts?

oh I just removed a spark plug and it looks weird, it is kind of white'ish (light color). Like there would be a lean issue or possibly no lubrication, my oil lines are all intact and in place where they should be, they are also filled with oil

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Sounds like you’ve joined a growing list. There are a couple threads going about your issues already. You may gain some insight and answers you are looking for by reading through them.

Note one is quite long, though does have good info into what could be causing failure.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
thank you for posting link, for some reason I could not find any thread regarding patriot engine failures. Stupid me thought I am opening the first thread regarding the issue, HAHA!!!

C
Nov 3, 2018
My engine seized today in the mountains. First I heard a strange hissing sound for about 3 second then it died. The sled is in break in period at about 13hours.
I am unable to turn the engine with the pull cord. Sled was used in a normal way, no overheating, no other issues whatsoever

Upon inspection there is no visible issue with the engine. 2 other people in my city also had engine failures. One had the oil pipe jump out with the engine bay full of spilled oil. This is not what happened with my engine. Other one had exactly the problem like me with no visible issue.

thoughts?

oh I just removed a spark plug and it looks weird, it is kind of white'ish (light color). Like there would be a lean issue or possibly no lubrication, my oil lines are all intact and in place where they should be, they are also filled with oil

Still in break in period at 13 hours?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I was told by my dealer that the engine opens up only after 17.5 hours
is that not true?

yeah, I am getting a new engine, I am in Europe and the engine will be received here on the 30th january. I am now riding my old axys 800 and I LOVE IT!! I think it runs much better than the 850 lol

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Is there service manual available for download or I need to purchase a paper book? Simply I do not trust my local dealer with a proper installation of my new engine (lol). The techs are not really qualified and they surely do not read the service manual - so I have to do this instead. Are the engine mounts any different on patriot than on the old RMK? Is this possible to position the engine incorrectly in the mounts? There used to be a way to align clutches with a tool on the old RMK, is this still necessary on the patriot and is this somehow related to the engine position in the mounts?

WAsledder

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2018
Cle Elum WA
No offense but based on the questions you just asked I'd take your chances with the dealer. At least at the end of the day you'll still have your warranty.

P
Jan 14, 2019
850 Engine Failure warranty

Too bad you folks have engine failures already. A warranty does you no good of you cant ride the sled. Feel bad for all of you that spent top buck on these sleds that are junk.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Don't worry. There are a lot of guys on the forum who say the new 850 riders are just whiners and there aren't 850 motor issue. Just continue to ride and enjoy. And stop whining!

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
No offense but based on the questions you just asked I'd take your chances with the dealer. At least at the end of the day you'll still have your warranty.

no offense taken :) I am not going to do it myself, just asking questions to educate myself and this is what forum is for, right?

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
If you were to come in my shop and try to tell my techs or me how to do my job it would get pushed out back for a few days till I got the thought of screwing it up out of my mind !!

They probably don't know much as far as you are concerned right ??

It gets nothing good done by "Telling Them what you learned on the internet"!!!!

Some !! And I say some on here have no idea and reiterate bad info again and again ..

As far as I can tell there is maybe 100 or less of the newly designed 850 Patriots having issues out of 10,000
That's a 1% failure and you get more than use with good motors with a Coupon for $525 ( minus dealer markup and $50 deductable comes to $291.25)

Premium Features