• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used Sled advice

R
Sep 11, 2018
Hi there, brand new to the snowmobile world and the search for my first sled.

Key specs: 800cc 2-stroke, versatile mountain sled, fuel injected, reverse, ~150-160 track
Price range: up to $6500 Canadian

Other: I'm not a huge guy, 5'7 and 140lbs and hope to spend more time riding than digging. I am concerned about machine weight as well as reliability.

I'm a competent and meticulous mechanic and will happily invest time proactively maintaining machines if they pay me back with good performance and ride reliability.

Spending a fair amount of time researching these machines and trying not to be too biased but for the money, it's looking like I'll probably be looking at a 2013-2015 sled with 2500km or so.

What sled would you pick and why based on your own experiences? I'm not looking for Ford vs Chev brand bashing, just facts!

Thanks!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well weight is an issue.

I'd get the the "model" than look at years.

Take your pick

Arctic Cat
Polaris
Skidoo

Typically the longer the track provides more float and the shorter track is more maneuverable UNTIL you know how to shift weight and control the throttle.

Id stay away from Yamaha … 4 strokes are heavy.

Polaris just came out with a new sled for 19 with an 850cc engine. So previous years 800 will even less money than before. AXYS chassis is the most recent previous is the Pro.

Skidoo has a GEN 4 chassis introduced in 2017. 17's had a few flaws , 18's are pretty good … 19's are even better. In all years the engine and clutch are suppose to last many miles without a new top end.

Arctic Cat … don't know much so let others chime in.

Skidoo GEN 4 are easy to ride. "its not fair the newer model and really is better than my older model"

Polaris are more technical to ride. "Last to the mountain first ontop"

Arctic Cat ask some one else.

IMHO look at SKIDOO 165" track 3" lug height for deeper snow or an 154" 3"lug for more wheelies and 2.5" less wheelies. I think you could get a 17 sled for 6-8500+ grand US dollars and an 18 for 7-9500+.

I just looked online and viewed a 2014 Polaris Pro chassis 600cc (will last twice as long as an 800 and keep better value) 155 track , 1500 miles for $4000 US. Any brand 600cc sled will last longer than an 800 2 stroke. Should easily last 6000 miles where an 800cc sled will need $1000 in maintenance to get to 6000 plus miles..

At rider 140 lbs weight a 600 will keep up with an 800 - 850 most of the time. About 120HP vs 160VS generally.

Of course having the same rider a newer chassis type will outperform an older model chassis.

Reguardless have the clutch and gears set up for your weight and snow conditions

LET THE BASHING BEGIN :eyebrows:

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
In your price rang the Cats are the heaviest but most durable. The Suzuki 800 in the Cats is a legend of power and durability, probably one of the best motors ever put in a sled.

Polaris is the lightest and most fragile. Motors do not last very well, it isn't the best design. They can be updated to some extent but most Polaris guys like having and engine warranty.LOL

Ski Doo's IMO are the worst handling mtn sled made IMO. The are in between on weight and durability and do not seem to have the motor issues of the Polaris. In the past I have recommended them to friends because the just seem to run and run and run despite the ill handling chassis.

R
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the replies!

Ski Doo summit's in the 2016+ and newer in my price range don't seem to exist in my surrounding used market - models that new seems to be $9000+ and there's not many of them.

Interesting point on the reliability of 600's vs 800's - I didn't realize there was a huge disparity in the reliability between them. I think I am still in the market for an 800 since the rest of my group is on 800's though (and I have a competitive side).

Seems like there's some good deals on 2013-2014 M8 Cat's, but if they're as heavy as people say...

I ditched my Kawasaki KX450 4-stroke for a KTM 300 2-stroke and the weight and rideability difference is night and day.

It's sounds like the Ski-Doo Summits are a good compromise between reliability/weight/performance/handling while not being the best for any one of those things.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The cats in your price range are great sleds but need to have had some updates done. The weight difference isn't really that big, not like going for a 4 stroke, more like a 20 lb penalty stock. The Cats really became competitive with the 16 models. If looking at an older one you definitely want the updated front end geometry. I have ridden the 15,16 and 17s back to back and the 15 is a terrible ride compared to the 16 or 17. The chassis is pretty much the same from 2012 up and a 13 or 14 with the 16 front end update would be a good choice. The newer the better with any of the brands. I would definitely pass on a 600 as well. I think they are more reliable mostly in the Polaris as the Doo and Cat do not have 800 motor issues.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the replies!

Interesting point on the reliability of 600's vs 800's - I didn't realize there was a huge disparity in the reliability between them. I think I am still in the market for an 800 since the rest of my group is on 800's though (and I have a competitive side).

It's sounds like the Ski-Doo Summits are a good compromise between reliability/weight/performance/handling while not being the best for any one of those things.

Being competitive with you weighing 140#s with be a good reliable way to go on a Polaris 600 AXYS with a 155 track.

Of course the 800 / 850 will be better BUT will not out maneuver climb a newer generation sled chassis and engines.

You could look at a turbo or some NOS to pull ahead.

WEIGHT is always an issue

Look for A 600 AXYS and get a deal with a turbo …. With overall power to weight (sled and rider) you will be most out there until you run with a newer sled with a turbo.

Turbos already on a sled don't help with resale. Most stay away. Since you are mechanically inclined you could get a deal on a turbo kit and boost it just enough to run 91 Octane

Yep a 600 will outlast an 800/850 by 1000 of miles …. EXCEPT the new generation SKIDOO 850 and possibly the Polaris 850 are suppose to last must longer than a previous year engines.

On older 800 engines not uncommon to check the cylinders after 1200 -2000 miles and see the need to replace. For a 600 easily twice the mileage.

Want to reinterate to get the sled clutched and geared for your specific weight / riding style. Probably the best thing to do for the money.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Ask lots of questions there are ton of so called stock sleds for sale that have had turbos on them and been run hard. In the old days it was easy to spot but now turbo manufactures are building the kits to be removable with no sign of ever having one on there.Buy from a known owner or trusted source unless that's not important to you.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The Suzuki 800 in the Cats is a legend of power and durability, probably one of the best motors ever put in a sled.

No question, hands down the best 800 two stroke motor for a sled ever to roll off the production line.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
just found this $4200 US 2009 Ski Doo Summit SHR Big Bore 860 Summit X 162x16x3"

https://www.bismanonline.com/grand_forks_nd/2009_ski_doo_summit_shr_big_bore_860_summit_x_162x

Sled has 2200 miles on it. I purchased the sled with 1500 miles on it from the original owner. The Big Bore was done around 1000 miles. The 3" track is brand new with 0 miles. Great sled that more than keeps up with the new chassis sleds. It will outclimb many of the newer sleds I ride with. It is much snappier and has more power than the 800 etec Ski Doos. Lots of money tied up in extras. I'm not the guy that is going to list out the value of all the extra parts and labor on this sled. Many hours and no expense was spared in building this sled. I have two XM sleds and it handles very comparatively to them with the footwell mod, narrow boards and front end. Great all around sled, has great all around power and is geared and clutched very well for all types of riding. Climbs very well and is great in the trees, 3" track with the big bore just plain moves snow and takes a lot to get this thing stuck! Please text or message with any questions.

$4200 OBO

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
https://www.bismanonline.com/devils_lake_nd/2015_polaris_assault_800_low_miles

2015 Polaris assault 800 low miles!!

Ive got an assault 800 rmk with 327 miles on it, 155 track with 2.4 paddles, mbrp can, gas rack, underseat bag. Reverse, no electric start. Great condition and pretty much brand new still. Wont be riding much this year. 6k obo or trades for a pickup, sidebyside, couple other things I guess.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Since you have a bike background. Why not go snowbike? For your first sled IMHO you would be better with something not too modified. Something to keep in mind is local support/dealer. What do your buddies ride?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
For your first sled a low mile 2011 M8 stocker. Not the lightest, most nimble sled now, but goes decent and the whole sled is pretty tough: motor and chassis. Being a newbie you can hit some stuff and not end your season with an expensive repair bill. If you have some money left over from purchase spend it on maintenance, gas, oil, and put a 2.6 powerclaw track on it. Then just ride the hell out of it. If you want the newer Cat chassis get at least a 2014. Lots of updates that year and guys have done a lot of upgrades with newer OEM parts.

As an alternative a 2015 or 2016 "T3" Ski-Doo XM chassis is ok. I think they have less twitchiness and more predictability when up on edge and are better balanced than older ones.

I would not own a Polaris 800 engine without warranty from failures people I know have had. Newer Polaris sleds are light and handle well I will give them that.

In general I agree try to stay with a pretty stock sled for your first one. More time riding and less wrenching on someone else's possible ex-nightmare.

R
Sep 11, 2018
Since you have a bike background. Why not go snowbike? For your first sled IMHO you would be better with something not too modified. Something to keep in mind is local support/dealer. What do your buddies ride?

I am really torn deciding sled vs snowbike. The people I ride with are on sleds, 800 summits, and for the cost of a snowbike kit, I can have two separate machines. A sled makes over double the power to weight too.

Having a giant, relatively heavy machine that won't fit in my garage doesn't necessarily excite me, but I can't spend another long winter dreaming about dirt biking.

?

Premium Features