• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry Navigator PRO

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Just getting my feet wet with this Backcountry Navigator Pro app. The cost is $11.99 for the PRO version and it is well worth the minimal price, in my opinion. There are other map "overlays" a person can purchase, but i am not yet convinced they are necessary. This lays down a "track" you can easily follow back to your starting point. Tracks can be saved and used later. Can mark and save waypoints and navigate to them. Seems to be just as functional as a Garmin or other GPS device

You MUST downloaded the maps for your riding area for this to work offline, then it works well as a standalone GPS. So i put about 5GB of the Caltopo maps on my phone for this purpose. Can also download satellite imagery maps for the same areas to find the best way through the trees when going cross country or exploring new areas. The maps i am using were free when downloaded within the app.

This can be used on a tablet as well (Android), just as long as it is GPS enabled. Download maps via Wi-Fi and use offline.

Going to give this a go during the summer on the ATVs to make sure i am familiar with the app and am confident i can use this in the winter. In the summer, there is room for error . . .in the winter, you gotta get it right the first time when temps are sub-zero.

Anyone else had any experience with this app?

Premium Features