• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

14,15 High Country ?

8410T

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2012
I'm a flatlander that usually only gets about 4-5 days of mountain riding a year. We do a lot of trail riding in Wisconsin and Michigan. I currently own 2 sleds (1 trail, one Mtn) and would like to get down to one that would do both reasonably well. My son tried this with a 13 High Country 800 and was very disappointed with the deep snow ability of the sled. Just seemed to nose dive and plow. Was told they made changes in the 14's to help this . Anyone have any experience with the later High Country's deep snow capabilities? Not looking for a big time high marker just a decent boondocker that can do some moderate climbing.Thanks.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
What ski's did your son run on his HC? My 12' with the stock skis was like the Hunt for Red October DIVE DIVE DIVE... I really like my Slp Powder Pros, they all but stopped the submarine problem. I have heard a ton of good info on running the PRO Rmk ski as well.

8410T

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah we talked about swapping skis out. Thought I heard they also changed the track attack angle in 14?

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Wider ski's are going to make the best improvement in the dive department, that and a diet. The attack angle changes how the sled gets up on the snow, trenches, & wheelies... Plowing is pretty much the ski and weight up front.

You also need to be aggressive in deep snow IE on the throttle to keep the nose up.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
I'm a flatlander that usually only gets about 4-5 days of mountain riding a year. We do a lot of trail riding in Wisconsin and Michigan. I currently own 2 sleds (1 trail, one Mtn) and would like to get down to one that would do both reasonably well. My son tried this with a 13 High Country 800 and was very disappointed with the deep snow ability of the sled. Just seemed to nose dive and plow. Was told they made changes in the 14's to help this . Anyone have any experience with the later High Country's deep snow capabilities? Not looking for a big time high marker just a decent boondocker that can do some moderate climbing.Thanks.

Your problems sound like setup. I have a 2013 High Country and have learned the hard way. (trial and error). The air in the ski shocks needs to be 100 psi or less and the rear track shock should be only tight enough to keep from bottoming. Then I set the front track shock tight enough to give me enough ski lift under hard acceleration to keep the skis just skimming the snow. A buddy this year had a 2015 that dove and trenched miserably. Skis were at 145 and the rear at 190 from the dealer. We dropped about 45 out of them all and it was night and day different. I agree that little wider ski is what I would do next.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
I've been really happy with my '13 high country. Sounds like we ride similar conditions. I usually get between 3-5 days of mountain riding, and the rest is in the flatlands equally on and off trail. Biggest improvements for me were putting on the Poo gripper skis and narrowed to 40" stance w/ no sway bar. Still solid on the trail, and lays over much easier when off trail/mountain riding.

G
Jan 18, 2012
here in the EAST I have a highcountry and it seems to be about perfect... I just put the stock skis back on cuz my USI triple threts seem to fight me carving and sidehilling... it does dive a bit more... but hasn't stopped me from doing anything... I have a 40" front end and a bunch of other add ons to my 2012... lots of times id love to have a 153 just to really stick it uphill in some trees... but I just use more momentum... keeps it a challenge and makes me a better rider everytime I feed her

Premium Features