• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 Mountain Cat 900 Bogging Down when given gas!!!

R
Oct 31, 2011
Meridian, Idaho
I have a 2003 Mountain Cat 900 with about 1950 miles. Everytime I take it out it bogs down when I try to give it gas. I have to feather the throttle the in order to get it to go. After doing this for about 45 minutes my thumb gets a little tired. It idles just fine as if there was nothing wrong.

I have cleaned the carbs twice, tightened the throttle cable, replaced a coolant hose, replaced a new belt, replaced new spark plugs, put HEET in the gas, and checked the fuel filter. I just took it out Sunday and still having the same issue. I have just taken out the fuel filter and had noticed that there was gas in the vacuum portion of the fuel filter. I just ordered a new fuel filter and hoping that replacing it is the answer. Any other ideas?

P.S. I called a local AC dealer and they said that he needed a new top end, which I believe that it's a load of $#!T, because I feel that it wouldn't even run if it needed a new top end. I think they were just trying to get some money out of me.

Much help would be appriciated.
Thank you,
Rob

R
Oct 31, 2011
Meridian, Idaho
I checked the valves last night. They were a little dirty but nothing that would be causing this issue I wouldn't think. Hopefully I get the fuel pump in today and put the sled back together and see the outcome. We're suppose to be gettng 10" of snow on Saturday here in Idaho so I'm hoping to have it ready and running right by then.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
EFI or Carbed?

If you have it on a stand does it bog also? Or only when you are riding it.

If it does it on the stand without a load then that eliminates clutching.

any chance you have a plugged fuel filter or a pinched fuel line. I pulled the air box on mine one time and putting it back together I slightly pinched the full line. Would idle and start great, but when giving it the juice it would fall on it's face.

Thunder

B
Jan 1, 2009
Stevens Pass
same issue

My 04 900 efi is having similar problems. Bogging between 5 and 6000 rpms. Then tries to die but continues to idol. It started when I nailed a big tree sunday, so im thinking its something near the front of the motor or possibly something is pinched. Clutches were balanced and cleaned last month and it has brand new plugs. going to clean power valves tomorrow, check plug wires, fuel lines...anyone think of anything else? will try running sled on the stand to check clutching.

Thanks

R
Oct 31, 2011
Meridian, Idaho
It's carbed. This last time I had it up on a stand and opened it wide open for a few seconds it didn't bog down, but it did the same thing the time before that. Then I loaded it up on the trailer with no problem, thinking that I fixed it. Then when I got up to the spot, unloaded it, took off and not even getting 10ft it started bogging down. Hopefully the fuel pump gets here either today or tomorrow so that I can put it together and take it out this weekend to see if that resolved the situation. If not, then I'll probably start looking at the clutch.

I looked at the lines and saw just a little bit of gas that has spilled into the overflow line and that was just sitting in it, I blew it back into the tank so I know that there's not a pinched line in that route. Although I'm not sure with that little bit of gas sitting in the line would make it bog down like it does.

It's almost like I can't hold the throttle open, which tells me I think that it's a fuel issue or electrical.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Adjust the cable on the power valves, I'm almost positive this is your issue. Sorry no link on the correct procedure but I'm sure its out there.

R
Oct 31, 2011
Meridian, Idaho
I also notice over the weekend that the o-ring on the Mag side needed to be replace which may also be the problem. Put the new fuel pump in and also replaced the o-ring.

It would be nice to drain the antifreeze that could be in the crank. With talking to a few people they say the drain plug is in the tunnel. Does anyone know exactly where this plug is at in the tunnel? Also, with replacing the o-ring, how do you bleed the the lines since now there's air in the lines.

B
Feb 20, 2012
hey rob ,,,
did you ever figure out your sled ,, ??????? mine is doing the same thing i chacked every thing on that dam thing ,,, hope you got yours fixed

E
Dec 17, 2012
I had the same problem so drilled holes in my air box but not on the clutch side an works likea charm:) the side air intake takes in to much snow. Go for a ride an when it starts to bog open top ur airbox pretty sure you will see snow.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
gota ask

keep in mind when you hit the flipper you're not giving it gas with carbs, you are giving it AIR................so have you tried adjusting the gas screw, out/counter clockwise which supplies the carb more gas / engine more gas so when you hit the fipper and give it air, the air flow can pull more gas.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC Canada
throttle protection

un plug your kill switch and see if it runs better. Theres a sensor in the throttle block that will kill the sled if your throttle sticks, it gets moisture in there and makes a bad contact. mine did this years ago and that was the problem. I unplug it and away I went.

Premium Features