• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crack on both sides of tunnel.

G
Sep 5, 2018
My tunnel is cracked on both sides right behind the running boards. My question is can I weld on the sled without harming the stator and other electrical components. Sled is pull start only.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Many people were welding there coolers after hitting a rock so it shouldn’t be a problem.

T
Aug 8, 2011
What happened? Coupling skid?

I would disconnect the ecu...I was warned about the high frequency of tig welding and leaving the ecu hooked to the machine. Apparently it can roach them.

G
Sep 5, 2018
Thank you for responding

As far as what happened ? don't know for sure. Stock running boards and they do not connect back to the tunnel on the end, so I am guessing it allows it too flex and cracked the flange that is perpendicular to the ground. Noticed it when installing aftermarket bumper. Warranty assumed that would end in frustration.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I'd unplug the ecm and the grounds just to be safe. I welded the tunnel on my 07 and immediately had one cylinder burn down. I don't have any evidence that the welding did it, but seemed like too big of a coincidence.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
As far as what happened don't know for sure. Stock running boards and they do not connect back to the tunnel on the end, so I am guessing it allows it too flex and cracked the flange that is perpendicular to the ground. Noticed it when installing aftermarket bumper. Warranty assumed that would end in frustration.

In theory you should still have warranty. They claim it us “bumper to bumper “ though if it covers boards a season or 2 later....? Worth asking though

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Unplug the ecu, it will fry it. Had this happen on a axys.

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
I agree with the others that I'd unplug ecu. Is this on an SP or X model? I'd love to see the cracks if you can upload a picture?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
When I bought my plasma cutter and told the sales guy I was cutting on sleds with it he sold me a “thing” that had you clip on the battery to protect the electrical system from the plasma cutter. It was cheap, like $30 I think. Get a “thing” or unplug your ecu to be safe.

M
Oct 11, 2009
I’m working on the same project right now, picked up an ‘18 154 freeride that was cracked right behind the drop brackets both sides of tunnel. I’m working on making up a bumper now to reinforce everything a little more, it’s gonna go forward past the drop brackets some so it should be pretty rugged when done

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Wouldn't have expected that! Still haven't pulled my SP out of storage but very curious to check mine for cracks.

Premium Features