• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track lugs

R
Nov 17, 2012
Rexburg Idaho
How many people have had problems with lugs coming off
my sled has about 1000 miles on it and has 1 lug gone and 2 more starting to come apart Im not impressed with the 3 IN track on the G4. I put 3000 miles on my 16 t3 and never had a problem

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
1800km on my 17’
Missing 5 right gone to belting and 4 more split down middle.

Tried for warranty and was rejected

Thinking old trusty X3 for next track.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Tall lugs needs cooling or else the rubber will start delaminating from the heat created by the lugs being bent every time it engages the ground.

So, if you run a tall lugged track on packed trail or ice you have to keep the speed at a reasonable level. Going 90-100km/h or faster, (some tracks might not even cope with 70km/h), for more than very short bursts in poor cooling environment will cause track damage eventually. The taller the lugs are the more sensitive it is, and of course, the lower the speed is that will/can cause damage.

When submerged in deep cooling powder snow you never have to think about this at all, then it has all the cooling it needs.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
group I usually ride with
3 2018's 175" all are missing lugs, worst one is 4 lugs in a row.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Tall lugs needs cooling or else the rubber will start delaminating from the heat created by the lugs being bent every time it engages the ground.

So, if you run a tall lugged track on packed trail or ice you have to keep the speed at a reasonable level. Going 90-100km/h or faster, (some tracks might not even cope with 70km/h), for more than very short bursts in poor cooling environment will cause track damage eventually. The taller the lugs are the more sensitive it is, and of course, the lower the speed is that will/can cause damage.

When submerged in deep cooling powder snow you never have to think about this at all, then it has all the cooling it needs.

And for scratchers to work yo need to go slow enough so the spray gets up into the track anything over say 30 MPH and they will not work same if to slow.
Mine is missing 1 hole and 2 halves from a sharp rock cut well above the belt.

If they come of the belt heat is more likely the issue. If your track clips are blue you know you overheated the track

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
And for scratchers to work yo need to go slow enough so the spray gets up into the track anything over say 30 MPH and they will not work same if to slow.
Mine is missing 1 hole and 2 halves from a sharp rock cut well above the belt.

If they come of the belt heat is more likely the issue. If your track clips are blue you know you overheated the track

Milling, or trying to, down environment features can of course damage the track :face-icon-small-hap

Precisely, complete lugs torn of down to the cord is often due to overheating.
(the lug base has delaminated from the cord layer and the lug is then is ripped or catapulted away)

Premium Features