• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HIGH MILEAGE TURBO??

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
what would be the "cut-off" mileage wise to not turbo?
I know, difficult question to answer

I bet at the end of the season my sled will have 1K miles on it. I am debating keeping it and throwing a silber on it or selling, picking up a left over '18 and turboing that one

1,000 is totally fine for a turbo. That said, if you can sell it and get into a new sled for not a big loss, go that way.

If you boost your current sled, make sure you are in good shape as far as...

Motor mounts
Compression (you need to check with a good tester)
Reeds
Clutch Parts

I'd consider a new QD belt too.

At that point, rock on!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The new 850 sled is the same chassis as you have with 37" front end on it and a bigger nicely designed, albeit unproven with consumer production, engine.

I doubt we see a new mountain chassis till '21 ... so your sled is completely relevant for 2 more seasons IMO.

If you want turbo power... go for it... freshen it up.... the 850 will not touch it in stock form.

If you don't need turbo power... a stage kit from SLP will bring you to the 850 levels for less money... of course, freshen the motor up... and do bearings, drive belt, clutches etc over the off season... and you will have an amazing sled on your hands STILL.

If you want a 37" front end.... the K Mod 37" kit is awesome and uses your stock shocks. Though many people have gone narrow and put it back to stock... depends on if you are a tight-tree-jockey or not IMO.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The new 850 sled is the same chassis as you have with 37" front end on it and a bigger nicely designed, albeit unproven with consumer production, engine.

I doubt we see a new mountain chassis till '21 ... so your sled is completely relevant for 2 more seasons IMO.

If you want turbo power... go for it... freshen it up.... the 850 will not touch it in stock form.

If you don't need turbo power... a stage kit from SLP will bring you to the 850 levels for less money... of course, freshen the motor up... and do bearings, drive belt, clutches etc over the off season... and you will have an amazing sled on your hands STILL.

If you want a 37" front end.... the K Mod 37" kit is awesome and uses your stock shocks. Though many people have gone narrow and put it back to stock... depends on if you are a tight-tree-jockey or not IMO.

Quoted for a better articulation of what I'm trying to say.

I was one that went narrow and went back. I kept over-riding the sled. Then again, I now ride a G4...be interesting to go back.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Everybody has an opinion, but Honestly if you've maintained your machine it should be fine and how greedy you get, depending on your elevation, pump gas and 5 psi may bring it back closer in line to that of stock HP at sea level!, or maybe 10-20Hp extra which isn't a ton either... so I wouldn't worry! however, at 3500 miles I'd recommend for the heck of it to do your crank, get that out of the way because by probably ~4500- 5k miles, its getting up there for a crank from a mountain sled and I wouldn't trust it anymore. Extra power will strain components more yes, You'd want a rear skid coupler for sure. others mentioned worn out clutches, well you know what? If that was so true you're really going to feel it on a stock sled! but when you have a turbo you have extra power it can overcome some "worn" clutch issues and you'd never even know. I had a turbo yamaha apex, sure a heavy boat... But she was a 310 hp kit, pushed 20# of boost through it on 94 pump with a head shim. had about 9k km on the chassis, I know others with over 18k km on theirs, nytros with a 270hp kit and they still go just fine, just depends if you maintain or not!

So don't let your sled mileage scare you away. You may be due for new jack shaft bearings, drive shaft bearings? chain case? belt drive? as it is with out a turbo, don't matter does it. all fairly minor really and that makes no difference whether you were turbo or not as it's all maintenance!

Also in my experience, don't play the add a pipe game or do this or that or heads, They all make very minimal differences, the real true shot way to add power and maintain it is with a turbo or supercharger. I've played the big bore game or pipes, I was very disappointed, the money spent I should of gotten a turbo because its a true way to add power, everybody plays the numbers game with their pipes and big bores, I call bs unfortunately.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Adding a turbo with 5 to 7 lbs adds so much fun lots of time I think man I would have been stuck there with a pirma grin. But any sled issue electronic is magnified by a turbo also. I've had big Bores and pipes but IMO they are waste of money due to how good turbo kits are. Forced air adds power.

Premium Features