• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 Sidehill

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
My 2015 xm 154 sidehills great. I've ridden buddies 2016 axys 163 and it's sidehills good too but I did have it wash out on me. Also the 2013 pro rmk 155 sidehilled alright too but it also would wash out occasionally. I'm not envious of poo riders. Maybe it's just my style of riding but the xm suits me the best.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
"I still do not understand why there is a chain case cover where my foot needs to be? And a brake rotor on the other side, no? "

standing way forward by the driveshaft is a bonus rush.
try it.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
skis can help/hurt all conditions...

the poo gripper seems to be the only true upgrade from the doo ski...

skinz t motion washers help stop wash out a lot...

my T3 kit helps non T3s a lot too...

PES Zmotion scissor does too...

-BJ

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
This thread is absoultly hilarious the XM side hills excellent right or left side. Here in western Wyoming we ride so of the most steep and technical terrain on the plant and never has the XM had issues ... Side hilling is part technic, part skill, and part throttle reaction and lots of control.

FYI many of us were side hilling when sleds weighed over 700# with fuel and you guys are complaining about side hilling ???? LMAH

DPG

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
This thread is absoultly hilarious the XM side hills excellent right or left side. Here in western Wyoming we ride so of the most steep and technical terrain on the plant and never has the XM had issues ... Side hilling is part technic, part skill, and part throttle reaction and lots of control.

FYI many of us were side hilling when sleds weighed over 700# with fuel and you guys are complaining about side hilling ???? LMAH

DPG

Thank you! We were sidehilling garbage in the 90s and these Poo guys think you can't sidehill a brand new doo now Lmao. It's all in the rider sorry if you can't control your sled. Sorry if your too busy sidehilling your Polaris cuz you simply couldn't make my line and now you don't know what else to do or where to go.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
57 times

Only 57 times for a new axys and a lightweight rider. Not bad Polaris should be proud

image.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It's all relative.
U can sidehill anything with a hand full of throttle.
I call that skidooin it across the hill. Lol because thats what i had to do with my skidoo.
Anyone that says skidoo can side hill like poo and cat, they simply don't ride like those that complain about it.
Yes, it's that simple.

It's about riding style, lots of different styles and not one of them is better or worse than the others, just different.
Enjoy what u do and don't change it because someone says what they do is cooler than what u do.

I went from skidoo to cat for the M8, after riding with the M7s and not keeping up with them in the ravines and treed sidehills. Yeah my doo whooped some arse straight up the hill and on the trail but the stop and go down hill side hill on hard snow while easily staying on one ski from the M sold me.

I hope the G4 is improved. I wouldn't mind getting back on doo.

GS6

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
"Anyone that says skidoo can side hill like poo and cat, they simply don't ride like those that complain about it."

AMEN.

However if this new Skidoo side hills even a little better, I think I will be snow checking one, rather than have my new Axys in the shop 57 times a season.....

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Anybody that says a xm doesn't panel out isn't riding or is just kidding themselves. if you put brand bias aside and ride an axys it goes through the snow way better than anything I've ever rode. In the right conditions the xm will dive into the sidehill and the combination of the diving, wide boards and panels, the back end will start to wash. It is not that you can't recover but it might make the difference of whether you make something or not. I have had the axys almost going stuck and you can literally push with your feet and feel the sled lift out of the snow and pick up speed. Even the pro wouldn't do this. Anybody that thinks drag in the snow doesn't make a difference is just naive or kidding themselves. That is why underpowered and undertracked snowbikes go through the snow so good. You could spin my old nytro around, on the flat, and feel the drag overpowering the track. My wifes t3 174 was the same way but the track would overpower the drag. I have had an xm stuck on the flat or even downhill. It is the combo of diving and wide and fat and even the length of the boards.
As for how the gen 4 sidehills, my bet is it will be way better. It is higher and narrower and shorter boards. It isn't as narrow as they portrait because the boards are still fat. they moved some weight back and lengthened the front end alittle. So my bet is it will be way better than an xm. With the t motion and flex edge it is still going to have a tendancy to turn up hill. Just have to ride them a little different than the axys. I think the axys will be better in the steep sidehill department but a good rider will take them both to the same place. The doo will be more fun or better everywhere else. I am going to have both to ride for next year so I will know better next winter.

This. I have both and while I really love a lot of things about my Doo it has issues in the side hill department. I LOVE to side hill, in fact if I could side hill from Oregon to New York I would. However it wouldn't be on my XM. In my opinion on steep side hills the body panels create drag while the rear is still driving. The rear simply follows the path of least resistance, which is downhill- pointing the nose up. It can be overcome to an extent with some fancy riding but the steeper it gets, the more of an issue it becomes. If you are riding uphill on the side of a steep chute, obviously needing a fair amount of power dialed up, it is a real problem. Heavier snow is much more of an issue as it creates more drag on the body panels. I know when I am riding in champagne powder it is not a huge issue for me. I am talking steep side hills here 45 degrees and steeper.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Every sled has drag while side hilling .... Hmmm do you guys think 2017 won't have drag on the side hill ? Don't blame the sled

Remove your body panels and I will bet it won't make any difference.

DPG

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
About 3 of you need to get out and ride a little. Ride an xm and axys. Ride in really deep snow. Ride in semi rotten snow. Of course 1500 never sidehilled in his life because he goes straight over and sits and waits all day for little short tracker 155s to show up because that makes him feel better then he is since he rides a 174 and it requires no talent.
Then the ignorant answer of I've sidehilled 700 pound sleds. Well they don't go like new ones and you didn't sidehill all day. They drug in the snow and you had to keep turning them down or you were stuck. Nobody knew it. Some of you are like talking to Alan colmes. The evidence is there but there is no fixing stupid.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
About 3 of you need to get out and ride a little. Ride an xm and axys. Ride in really deep snow. Ride in semi rotten snow. Of course 1500 never sidehilled in his life because he goes straight over and sits and waits all day for little short tracker 155s to show up because that makes him feel better then he is since he rides a 174 and it requires no talent.
Then the ignorant answer of I've sidehilled 700 pound sleds. Well they don't go like new ones and you didn't sidehill all day. They drug in the snow and you had to keep turning them down or you were stuck. Nobody knew it. Some of you are like talking to Alan colmes. The evidence is there but there is no fixing stupid.

The only thing worse than being a idiot is arguing with one. Too bad you don't live closer Terry so you could open your eyes just a little bit and see the light and cuz I would love to take you sidehilling thru the trees with my talentless assss and watch you smash ur junk up. I've taken so many internet Polaris guys riding this year and I don't know them at all and it's the same outcome everytime. They all stuck, either on flat ground, sidehilling thru the trees and can't make the hills and they have problems but then you get on the Internet and they are they greatest thing ever made especially for sidehilling. I've riden them and I'm even more confused.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
The only thing worse than being a idiot is arguing with one. Too bad you don't live closer Terry so you could open your eyes just a little bit and see the light and cuz I would love to take you sidehilling thru the trees with my talentless assss and watch you smash ur junk up. I've taken so many internet Polaris guys riding this year and I don't know them at all and it's the same outcome everytime. They all stuck, either on flat ground, sidehilling thru the trees and can't make the hills and they have problems but then you get on the Internet and they are they greatest thing ever made especially for sidehilling. I've riden them and I'm even more confused.

All hail the best rider on Snowest. I've seen countless posts saying so, so it must be true right?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
This whole thread is hilarious! The G4 is going to rock! It will be a better all around sled than anything out there from the reports. Will it sidehill like an Axys? Probably not, it wasn't purpose built for sidehilling. I was a bit disappointed to see the boards only narrowed .6" or what ever it is. I put a tape on the G4 Summit X behind the brake rotor and it measured right at 7 1/2" vs 8" on XM. Why they narrowed the belly/ side panels and not the boards, doesn't make much sense. I guess this leaves the aftermarket with room to make skinny boards for those that want them.

Premium Features