• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handlebar Heater Issue-2017 Summit 850

M
Nov 9, 2010
redding, ca
Hand Warmers

My hand warmers are crazy hot, even when I wear my big heavy cold weather gloves I can't use them very long on the warmest setting because my hands get too hot. So that being said hopefully you guys with luke warm hand warmers can get that adjusted through your dealer.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
My first 3 rides of the year, I could hardly feel mine. Last weekend, I had to actually turn them down. They got real hot. Had the same gloves as before. My thumb warmer wasn't working at all though. Hopefully they can get it figured out, and fixed shortly. I had this same problem on my 08 XP, and after they replaced them, I never had it again.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
I didn't think my thumb was working either. But I took my glove off and felt the back side of the flipper, where the heating element is. It was definitely on.

I think I need to get my ratio adjusted so when the thumb is 100%, the hands are 75% (or something like that). I'd like bi+ch slap the doo engineer that thought 1 switch was a good idea. Then I'd like to slap him again for deciding to make it a dealer only ratio adjustment.

CookeCityRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Powell, WY.
Just back from Cooke. The grip heaters suddenly worked once and got hot but then went back to just being luke warm. The only time in 250 miles they have worked. Hopefully factory is able to figure this out soon for their dealers.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
Don't forget that the heated grips have (I believe) 5 settings so you have to watch the dash to know where the setting is at.... I was out with another guy last weekend who didn't realize this so I figured I'd post it...

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
i was not happy with my heaters, but the last ride they worked great??? whats odd is that they get hot really quick, and at idle too:face-icon-small-con

The bar heaters seem to stay on the same setting when you turn the sled off then on again... we found out last weekend that a guy who was having issues was only turning them up one setting at a time every time he turned the sled on and after a few stops made it up to full heat.

He was convinced that it was down for low, up for high and center for off (he doesn't read the manual or dash). I'm not saying this was an issue for you, just something I noticed with another fellow on his g4.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I too was disappointed with the output of the heaters initially. However my last trip, they seemed to get nice and hot? Except for the thumb heater which worked, just not as hot as the grips... Weird

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
My handlebar heaters work awesome. I usually only have them on the 1st setting. if I turn them all the way up they get to hot. Not sure if I am the exception, but I am pleased with mine.

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
Fxr gloves

When I first got it they warmed up fast and got so freaking hot and now they are just warm enough to feel and keep the snow wet. They used to dry my fxr gloves now barley warm and my glove tips freeze. I thought they was gonna melt my dakine board gloves so I switched to legit snowmobile gloves

Premium Features