• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help...2016 M8000 LTD starts but won't rev up after riding and 15 to 30 minute rest

V
Dec 9, 2007
I have a 2016 M8000 LTD with less than 500 miles on it. The only change I have made is adding a GGB can. Sometimes when riding in the mountains if I stop and take an extended break 15 to 30 minutes and I restart the machine it will start (with very low idle) but not rev up then die. If you try to give it throttle it will die immediately. It will start back up and do the same thing. Generally it takes 5 to 6 restarts to finally take off. One time it took 20 restarts before it would finally rev up and go. Anyone have any idea's? had it into the shop they said everything checked including fuel pressure.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Pull your throttle block apart and unplug it, see if the problem goes away. My buddy was having a real similar issue and that solved it. Either replace the switch or get a tether and leave it unhooked.

S
Apr 21, 2017
I experienced it too when I let it rest for days. I tried by holding the throttle wide open and pulled. This worked during the first time it happened. There was also a weird sputter. However, it didn't start again after leaving it overnight. Is it a problem with the ECU??

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am not a cat guy, but heard the SLP guys talking about this at the hill climbs. The intake air temp sensor is too far from the throttle bodies and on a hot restart is over fueling because it sees air temp much colder than is coming into the engine. SLP kit fixes it. No personal experience, just going by what those guys were saying.

S
Apr 21, 2017
I have a 2016 M8000 LTD with less than 500 miles on it. The only change I have made is adding a GGB can. Sometimes when riding in the mountains if I stop and take an extended break 15 to 30 minutes and I restart the machine it will start (with very low idle) but not rev up then die. If you try to give it throttle it will die immediately. It will start back up and do the same thing. Generally it takes 5 to 6 restarts to finally take off. One time it took 20 restarts before it would finally rev up and go. Anyone have any idea's? had it into the shop they said everything checked including fuel pressure.

Hello, I believe you mentioned that you installed a GGB can, this may be the culprit. Adding some modification whether is a bolt on or not may require some re-tuning. The hard starting issue may be due to an ECU OEM configuration that was altered after installing the GGB can.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's not the can, these sleds just do that.

I think it's a mix of air temp and coolant temp sensors, coupled with the shorter coolers/less coolant volume.

Mine's done it far too many times and forced me to wonder if I'm going to be watching the sun go down over my non-starting 1 year old snowmobile.

Cutlers sells a temp bypass. It works.

I've also noticed that when mine does this, yanking the living shlt out of the pull cord (like full rope extension, both hands on the handle) will gitter done. I'm thinking it's a matter of cycling more coolant through the system per pull but that's just a guess.

I made the mistake of pulling and pulling and pulling one time in a parking lot and ending up flooding the living hell out of the case. That wasn't a running/heat soak thing, I think it was an air temp thing.

Whatever it is, it's BS in my opinion. My 2010 never did this. In my case it's not the tss because mine is disconnected for an index finger throttle.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Bogging

Some things I do that help:

Keep the throttle cable adjusted properly
Idle at 1800-2000 rpm
Let the idle normalize before shut down 5-10 seconds
Ensure good fuel try to buy at busy stations or the same one
Another thing in your case to check is if your in really deep powder when you park the exhaust could be restricted and unable to exit. I have see this in the past and just simply kicking some snow out of the way and your good to go.

R
Nov 2, 2012
I know this is old thread but did you ever figure out what your problem was with sled. I have the exact same issue/sled.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Reroute your fuel line so it doesn't go over the pipe. Buy a coolant temp shutoff switch from cutlers, and take off your side panels when you're sitting for a while.

None these fix the problem but they all help alleviate the conditions that make up the problem. Something heat soaks and causes the ecu to do the wrong thing with fuel.

Last edited:
R
Nov 2, 2012
Mine was doing the same so I took it up to Alpine Motor sports in Kremmling CO. 5 hr drive for me one way but well worth it. These guys have all the testing tools. They tested on the mountain and got it to do what I and you have described. They had to disconnect plug behind speedo to get it to stay running enough to get it back to trailer. Stator, TSS, Throttle adjustment all tested fine. They spent hours troubleshooting and the next step is the wiring harness. They said if that doesn't solve issue they'd go ahead and replace the stator because it is possible for it to test good but still have some problems.
So thats where i'm at . I'm going to spend the month of Oct replacing the wiring harness and going through the old one thoroughly looking for damage/stretched wires.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Splice in a plug at the fuel pump. I replaced my stator and it still happened. Same with a new harness.

New plug is cheap and I think the heat might cause some expansion/separation of the connection. That's the one thing I did that immediately changed how the sled ran for the better which makes me think those connectors are pretty weak.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I had same issue with my 13 limited for 3 years, swapped all kinds of parts, redid a bunch of connections with dielectric grease, rerouted the harness in places where it was stretched tight and cleaned up the chassis grounds and it hasn't done it in 2 yrs. All original parts still in place. Can't say for certain what was causing it but an leaning towards harness routing causing poor connections which combined with heat caused resistance in wires and because these don't have a battery unless you have electric start, the voltage to ECU and fuel pump may be too low at initial start. Curious if any guys who have installed E-start have had any issues. My 16 sometimes heat soaks and you need to full throttle to start but my 13 would take 20 minutes to get started sometimes, died in my driveway and no restart and tore sled apart looking for an issue and when put together it hasn't happened since. No parts changed.

N
Jul 23, 2008
Bump. Had a no start issue today on a '17 Mountain Cat and had to leave the sled and tandem out. Heres the order of operations:

- Rode deep powder yesterday - pretty warm day no issues. Sled is stored outside in the back of my truck, cover on.
- Added ~4 gallons of 91 octane this AM. Sled started fine at trailhead but did idle down and die once.
- Rode great all AM. Multiple shutoffs and restarts no problem.
- Took a decent pull climbing and got stuck. Didn't go for a pin/wiggle since I was tandeming (ski access)
- Sled idled down like it was going to die, but I hit the kill switch beforehand. Usually let the idle drop ~1700 before shutting off but didn't in this case.
- Took a bunch of pulls to restart sled. I got it to start, but idle would not get above 800 and it would die with any throttle.
- Noticed the exhaust was restricted and cleared it out but it didn't improve.
- Left sled for a couple hours thinking it might be a heat soak issue.
- Came back to sled and pulled plugs.
- Clutch side top plug was dry and looked Ok, Mag side plugs were wet.
- Pulled a bunch of times with fuel pump unplugged trying to clear fuel out of mag side cylinder. Definitely plenty of fuel in there.
- Put it back together and no luck. Hasn't come close to starting since I let it sit for a few hours.
- One other weird thing it's doing is last 2 times I've had it in reverse it won't come out of it unless I kill the sled and restart. Not sure if related.

Any ideas?

brantd

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
check spark on the mag side.from what you say,its a dead hole for sure.

Premium Features