• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI releases E-Tec 850 Turbo (NOW SHIPPING)

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
When I'm looking at gauge the highest I see it rev is 8200 but when I hit high rpm recall it's like 8460 and screen flashes rev limiter. I added a bit of weight and haven't seen it since. Mainly happened crossing an old track u couldn't see or when sled leaves the snow for a split second.

Some of us have seen 8700 plus without so much as a soft rev limit. Nothing on the gauge at all. Interesting that yours is showing it on the gauge.

Your setup has a LOT of weight with a LOT of spring... lots of different ways to skin a cat... or a Doo in this case. Glad to hear it is running well!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ekHNaoqk2oU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
How does MPI manage under hood heat with this setup? Have seen 850's with just a can melt plastic
on deep snow days.
Also is there a tunnel dump option like the side kick has to help eliminate deep snow run ability problems from a plugged exhaust outlet.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I have got to say I cant wait to get this sled out and test it on Saturday.

Many of you have asked how the install was, and the overall quality of it. Let me see if I can speak to as many of those points as possible.

1. Absolutely anyone can do this install. I had myself and another friend my age pull this off together with no issues. I have previously done 1 turbo installation when I did MPI's Nytro kit. (One of the reasons I went with MPI again this year was because I never once had an issue with my Nytro set up, no one single issue)
  2. 100% of all of the parts needed in the instructions were included. The only note was that it doesnt come with an AFR or bung nut. Luckily Slash/Andra came to the rescue on that one for me.
  3. If I were to do this install again I could easily get it done in a day.
  4. 95% of all of the steps are EASY, STRAIGHTFORWARD, and PLUG AND PLAY. The only step that caused me to pause and ask for a couple of opinions was when I wired in the GEMS harness. That said, once we looked over it I had done it correctly and nothing had to be changed.
  5. There was 0 wire splicing. But you do tap into each system with relays. But thats simple.
  6. Read the entire manual first, front to back and then do the install. There were a couple times I went to do something and I wish I would have read a page ahead. It would have made it so much easier.
  7. Their Secondary tool makes pulling out and replacing the secondary and absolute breeze.
  8. I did end up using a bit more heat tape than came with the kit. But thats probably because I wanted to be overly careful with insuring nothing plastic gets too much heat.
  9. (Dont lose your Rivet Gun)
After the ride this weekend I will have pictures, video and more for you. I will also do my best to answer any questions that I can for you!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
But I love your reviews and all the photos !! :face-icon-small-ton

Be Forewarned.
I will be doing TWO separate reviews of this product this year.
This first one of the install on my SON'S 850 will be more focused on the REVIEW portion and less on the install. He did the install himself, and did it as quickly as he could get it done in the middle of the riding season, and it cost us one lost weekend of riding.

This summer, I hope to do a deeply documented install on my 850 and post up a MEGA Thread like I did on my Supercharger installation several years ago. But there is just NO WAY to generate that level of content when the installation is done over a weekend.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
How does MPI manage under hood heat with this setup? Have seen 850's with just a can melt plastic
on deep snow days.
Also is there a tunnel dump option like the side kick has to help eliminate deep snow run ability problems from a plugged exhaust outlet.

I have had zero underhood melting problems in over 400 miles on my mpi 850 turbo. I thought for sure it was a little close to the chaincase rubber plug, but no melting at all.
We've had the deepest days I've ever ridden all year. Never once the slightest exhaust bog. I would try to get it to exhaust bog by doing long side hills through over the hood snow on the the exhaust side and not one time did it even hesitate.
There was one day of the most stupid deep snow I've ever ridden, submarine all day. This day the intake vents would get covered over with snow, get warm, melt and then freeze over. Created a ice sheet covering the intake vents. You had to clean the ice and snow off or you'd get a bog. The 100% stock sleds did it as well, almost seemed worse with the stockers. Got the Z-bros intake vents, but will probably never see snow that deep again, so I don't see it as an on going problem.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have had zero underhood melting problems in over 400 miles on my mpi 850 turbo. I thought for sure it was a little close to the chaincase rubber plug, but no melting at all.
We've had the deepest days I've ever ridden all year. Never once the slightest exhaust bog. I would try to get it to exhaust bog by doing long side hills through over the hood snow on the the exhaust side and not one time did it even hesitate.
There was one day of the most stupid deep snow I've ever ridden, submarine all day. This day the intake vents would get covered over with snow, get warm, melt and then freeze over. Created a ice sheet covering the intake vents. You had to clean the ice and snow off or you'd get a bog. The 100% stock sleds did it as well, almost seemed worse with the stockers. Got the Z-bros intake vents, but will probably never see snow that deep again, so I don't see it as an on going problem.

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!
Never say NEVER.

It might SNOW AGAIN!!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And this is what happens when you fail to apply the BLUE LOCTITE to your airbox bolts!
Sure won't make that mistake twice in my lifetime!

3m-scotch-weld-anaerobic-adhesives-brochure.jpg

2b6208274bd4db8ba10b7f1e6c331acc.jpg

6f1a799bd99e994f246e5d4b514a40b1.jpg

Replacing the bolts and applying the needed Loctite this week.
Will have the sled back out on the snow for testing this coming weekend.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Oh, I suppose I should note.
That for the first couple miles BEFORE the bolts came loose and fell out..

It was nothing but HUGE GRINS as we rode away from the trailer down the main trail.

This turbo 850 IS going to be a TOTAL KICK in the pants when she is done.
There is NO DOUBT about it...:face-icon-small-hap

We were just in a rush and overlooked something we should have known better about.

Chalk it up to Snow Fever...

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Yea i will happily accept full responsibility for forgetting that.

But that sled is unfreaking believable for the turbo. Boy is it ever so smooth and powerful. It also just so like an absolute dream, I wish we had some powder still close by to run it through.

I forgot how much I missed the chuckle of a BOV. haha

Now God willing we will have video, pictures and more for you after this weekend. We had the full camera set up with us haha.

Premium Features