• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump adjustment with pics

signdude

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Ft Collins CO
www.myactionsigns.com
This picture is from my 2008 D7. It has the 28mm arm. (shorter) of the two. The manual says to line up the "pointer" with the line on the pump.

Which of these is correct??

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 2,155
  • IMG_4469.JPG
    IMG_4469.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,328

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
OIL PUMP RATIO & ADJUSTMENT

This picture is from my 2008 D7. It has the 28mm arm. (shorter) of the two. The manual says to line up the "pointer" with the line on the pump.

Which of these is correct??

Thx

As posted above, ^^^^^^^^^^ photo on the LEFT is correct AS A STARTING POINT!

You still need to verify after riding it, 55-60:1 is what I recommend.

When the lines were lined up on my D7, I was at 37:1, long arm on my sled.

I was unaware of different length pump arms,

The SHORT arm would actually INCREASE the amount of oil over the range of movement, all things being equal (starting marks same spot, etc)

Last edited:
C
Jan 16, 2016
same question

I have the same question as the original poster but want to confirm that the answers given are correct.

My 08 Dragon 800 burns an obscene amount of oil and upon inspection, the dot on my oil lever is aligned with the mark on the pump casting. If I adjust the "pointer" on the lever (picture posted above on the left) closer to the casting mark, I should fix my oil consumption issue correct?

I realize that there were two different length oil pump levers made for this year sled, and not sure how that affects the calibration.https://www.snowest.com/forum/images/smilies/new2010/juggle.gif

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :juggle:

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Thanks for the info. I burned 1/2 tank of oil with a half tank of gas last ride on my IQ 700. I guess the extra oil didn't hurt a newly rebuilt engine but boy does she stink considering it was cheap mineral oil.

I have a pair of factory wrenches to adjust the oil pump. If anyone is interested in borrowing them, give me a holler.

C
Jan 16, 2016
Manual Specs

I wanted to share what the manual says regarding the oil pump setting for others who may come across this issue.

The oil pump lever could be one of two that Polaris manufactured Dragons with in 2008 (maybe other years but this one for sure). IF, your lever has a "pointer" protruding from the lever that lines up with the index mark on the pump casting AND a dot on the lever then you have a 28 mm lever and it should be aligned pointer to index mark (not DOT to index mark like mine was).

IF your oil pump lever only has a line etched in it and NO "pointer" then you have a 33 mm oil pump lever and you simply align the two marks.

My oil pump lever has a "pointer" and DOT. My DOT was lined up with the oil pump casting index mark which caused my engine to burn an obscene amount of oil. I recently adjusted it to line up with the pointer. I will report back if this fixes my problem.

C
Jan 16, 2016
Specialized wrenches

Thanks for the info. I burned 1/2 tank of oil with a half tank of gas last ride on my IQ 700. I guess the extra oil didn't hurt a newly rebuilt engine but boy does she stink considering it was cheap mineral oil.

I have a pair of factory wrenches to adjust the oil pump. If anyone is interested in borrowing them, give me a holler.

I'd love to borrow those wrenches if I can. The dealer just quoted me $287 for the set! :face-icon-small-sho

If you're willing to lend them to me it would be greatly appreciated. I was able to adjust the screws but tightening it is going to be a b*tch!

Premium Features