• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Communications systems

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am once again in the hunt for a Helmet mounted rider to rider intercom system.

Anyone know anything about this..
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.p...ducts_id=588&zenid=3do83ob2eiukn6v428h9sedlr6

Snowmobile 2-Way VHF Radio Kit

$475.00

As a snowmobile rider, this kit allows you to communicate with other friends on snowmobiles with the same kit. Easy installation and top components provide the best in communication. Don't get left stranded out in the cold without properly working radios. The HX400 handheld radio is a marine grade radio and perfect for wet environments.

Kit includes:

• (1) Vertex HX400 VHF radio
  • (1) Dock charging station
  • (1) MH-O Harness
  • (1) Velcro Mount PTT
  • (1) Radio Jumpers
  • (1) Helmet Speaker Kit
  • (1) CS-Music cable
Easy connectivity combined with a PTT of your choice makes

communciation clear and easy. This snowmobile communciation kit merges the best in audio with powerful and clear performance radios for the best in communications.

With Rugged's Clear Hear Speakers and full flex mic boom, the quality and clarity suprasses other brands.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=383_247&products_id=587Snowmobile Helmet Basic Kit - Choose Your PTT

$221.40

The best in sound, performance, and features for snowmobilers who are serious about the best in audio. Whether it's for fun or racing, make your winter sports safer with 2-way helmet communications.
Thin, yet powerful Clear Hear Speakers combined with with a full-flex mic boom allow perfect positioning to hear and deliver clear audio.
Simple cabling makes connecting to your 2-way radio or iPod a snap and now you have more choices to choose from for your PTT options making transmissions simple and conveniently positioned for your needs.

Now features Dura-Link Sealed Helmet Kit. The Dura-Link Seal is a new molded design now featured on all Rugged helmet kits to seal the connection between the intercom cable and helmet kit plug. The Dura-Link Seal protects the connection contacts from water, mud, and dirt which can affect audio performance.
NOTE: To complete your setup, you will also need to order a Jumper from this link to provide connectivity top your 2-way radio.
This Kit Includes:

• MH-O Harness
  • Dura-Link HK-OFSP-3.5-S9
  • PTT (must make choice below)
  • CS-Music
These snowmobile kits are intended to use a PTT. Be sure to order your PTT below to complete this kit. Without a PTT, you have no safe or convenient means to transmit. The PTT options and pricing below are for (1) PTT.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
http://www.chatterboxusa.com/x1-slim

chatterbox-x1slim.gif

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZGQMP_FaAHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Extended range products are the most powerful communicators with their maximum range of 5 miles. Combined with sophisticated features, we offer the most versatile and advanced products on the market. The X1slim is equipped with Bluetooth features for mobile phones and audio source connection. It comes with a wired Push-to-talk button for easy transmission and It has full duplex wired intercom capability for rider to passenger communication (headset and extension cable for the passenger sold separately). The X1slim also comes with Hi-Fidelity speakers and noise-suppression microphones. It is powered by high capacity, built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery that lasts for up to more than 8-10 hours of use and 20 hours of standby.

BIKE TO BIKE COMMUNICATION

<hr size="1">
  • Intended Users: Single users or Large Group
  • Maximum range of communication: 5 Miles
  • Maximum number of users in communication: Unlimited
  • Communication method: Two Way
  • Compatible devices: X1slim, X1BT, X1, X2

RIDER TO PASSENGER COMMUNICATION

<hr size="1">
  • Share bike to bike communication with rider
  • Share music with rider (wired)

BLUETOOTH FEATURES WITH REMOTE CONTROL (AVRCP)

<hr size="1">
  • Wirelessly answer phone calls
  • Wirelessly listen to your music
  • Wirelessly listen to navigation voice direction
  • Remote control (AVRCP)
FM Radio feature: YES

GENERAL FEATURES

<hr size="1">
  • Battery: Rechargable Li-Ion
  • Water resistance casing

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Chatterbox works well for our group. We do not use the VOX, we just hit the PTT button on the unit to talk to each other. There is a bluetooth PTT button that you can get to mount on handlebars.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Baofeng Radio UV82 --> $39.00 mounted in avi bag side pocket or attached to your avi bag with a radio case holder. Up to 5 watts of power and great range good enough for snowmobile and ATV riding with factory whip antena Incredible range with aftermarket longer whip antenna. Can program for many frequencies to include Ham radio if you are licensed. Has VOX feature but I haven't wanted to mess with setting it up yet so engine noise doesn't activate it.

You can get a cheap speaker mic that is weatherproof for it if you don't want a helmet speaker and mic and use it like the BCA radio.

Snowcom snowmobile headset with PTT switch, helmet speaker and helmet mic $69 https://www.planetheadset.com/Snowcom.php I mount the PTT switch to my front left strap of my avi bag and it works great. Trail riders can mount it onto handlebar.

This setup is cheap, fairly durable, and very reliable. You can get cheaper headsets that fit the Baofeng radio (Kenwood 2 prong plugs) but I've read that the plugs are a little flimsy but no problem if you can solder new ones in.

Pros: Affordability, can program FRS, GMRS, Ham Radio, local SAR freq's, flight for life freq's, and even FM radio stations to listen to when you ride! 1 watt (twice power of legal FRS radios) or 5 watt option. Battery life is great and plenty for an entire days worth riding.

Cons: Not "waterproof" but I keep it in a side pocket of my avi bag with whip antenna sticking up. I have the cords all ziptied so they don't get in the way and there is only one easy to reach cord that connects to my helmet. Another con is that this thing is a bitch to program but I have a file I can email you that can be used with a Chirp file http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home that will set it up for use without much headache.
It's a HAM radio that just happens to give you frequency choices (FRS/GMRS etc..) that you might not legally be able to broadcast on…it is technically illegal for FRS use due to removable antenna and >0.5 watt output. A GMRS license is not that expensive and Ham Radio licenses are fairly easy to get since the damn FCC dumbed things down and got rid of the morse code requirement a while ago :-(

I have an older Collett Communicator 900mz system and it is a good second choice. My older Communicator isn't as crystal clear as my Baofeng setup but that may be because I'm hard of hearing and have a touch of a problem with speech comprehension that worsens with background noise.

Attachments

• Baofeng.jpg
    Baofeng.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 2,022
  • Planet Headset Set.png
    Planet Headset Set.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,305
  • Baofeng radio pouch.jpg
    Baofeng radio pouch.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 2,099
Last edited:

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
These work great and nice and cheap. Only thing is you might want to think of a way to clip is somewhere else other than your helmet. The helmet clip is sort of cheesy and doesn't hold it to your helmet very tight. The buttons on the handle bar make it nice and I can talk on my phone while I'm out playing, as long as I have service LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-SH...obile-Communicator/product-reviews/B0063IZ5VW

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
From what little ive looked at ruggedgear's site, they charge stupid high prices for stuff that can be had for much less on amazon or ebay.

S
BC Interphone

Has anyone tried the BT Interphone? They look like an inexpensive option (for $90 you get 2 headsets).

I have tried using 2 way radios with a special order headset for helmets and it worked ok but I couldn't stand all the wires. Just search for BT interphone on the web and you will find what I'm talking about.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Those interphones would work but, how much fiddling around will one have to doo to get everyone in the group communicating with everyone else in the group? And the range is listed as 3000', that would be best case, insight of eachother, get around the corner and probably lose comm.

I have all of my riding buds set up with baofeng bf888 radios w/speaker mics. Radio in the backpack mic on the shoulder strap near collar bone. Radios are uhf 16ch. Minimal fussing around, everyone on the same channel and a quick radio check. I have them programmed so that they are compatible with the walmart blister pack frs/gmrs stuff. At $20 a copy, I carry a few extras for new people joining our group. Range is generally 2-3 mi depending on terrain. Can be as much as 15 miles but, that is "line of sight" and one of them would need to be on a high spot.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Blue tooth Walkie talkie

So I have found a Bluetooth gmrs radio, Motorola MU350R, it's a 100 for a pair has good range. Then I have the Scala Riders G4 and G9x, attached to the helmets, if we are close we just use the intercom system and if we get out of range you can use the Bluetooth function on the GRMS radios to talk. Its wire free and if you really want can spend another 100 on a blue tooth PTT button you can attach to your handlebars. I did the wired thing for a couple years and really had a nice set up with a quick disconnect just below the helmet, took a couple of minutes to run the wires under my coat before the ride but worked out good, really like the hands free.

Best part of the Scalas I like is I bought an additional helmet mount for my street bike helmets so I have intercom there too. And if you have cell phone coverage you can call other people while riding and you can stream your music to your helmet from your phone.

Overall its a little expensive, 2 g4--289, 2 g9--389 and 4 radios 200, but it covers 4 riders and if you have the helmet mounts that you just clamp on you could give a set to a riding buddy at any point.

There is a bit of a learning curve and you have to reset the priorities of what comes across on the G4 and G9 but once you have it down works great.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Our group uses the Chatterbox. We ride with the owner of Bear Lodge, ElkView, and Arrowhead in the Bighorns. He uses the Chatterbox to communicate to the lodges and the groomers while we are out and about. I figure if a guy with thar much going on trusts them, they must be worth it.

When I trail ride back home I use the Bluetooth music feature. Also use the SVOICE on my Samsung phone. Just press one button on the side of the Chatterbox and say "Play Music" and it plays.

The speakers that come with the Chatterbox are terrible. I have Skull Candy speakers in one helmet and Tork in the other.

The speakers slide right into a pouch in the cheek pads if you have a Fly F2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Premium Features