• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Small cc snowbike?

1Reddog48

Oct 16, 2014
Gunnison, CO
I've been thinking about setting up a TW200 with a MHST. Now i know this is against all things HP related, and it won't run with the big boys, but I was hoping to get the wife on a snowbike this winter and the taller bikes are just not an option.
I've ridden plenty of smaller displacement, older sleds and had plenty of fun, so why wouldn't a smaller, lighter, lower snowbike be fun for a beginner, powder fields (not too deep) and general putzing around?
As the older snowbike kits get cheaper, seems like setting something like this up might work out for some folks.
Any comments??

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'd be less concerned about the height of a small bike than I would about the weight. Lighter is better, you don't really ever put your feet down anyways and the bikes with a non convex track stand up by themselves virtually always so height becomes less of a factor IMO. Another thing to consider is the kits are designed for full height bikes and as such if you put it on a lower bike you might generate too much ski pressure, I'm not certain on that but just a thought.

M5

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
I love the TW200 as an easy-to-ride, low seat height, putt around in the woods bike, but it would be seriously short on horsepower in the snow. I'd think you'd burn up the clutch in no time just trying to get moving in fresh snow.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Smallest bike I e seen them on for youngsters are the 250 4-stroke and a KTM 200 2-stroke. My 11yo boy rides my husky FC 450 TS LT. It is big for him, but he thinks it's cool. I've been toying with the idea of build for his KTM 85. Or maybe a bigger 2-stroke in an 85 frame

B
Nov 1, 2012
B.C.
I plan on buying one at some point this winter for my 3 year old... but no way even my wife (105 lbs, 5'1") could ride one, they're tiny. Definitely a smaller kid's toy.

Might be surprised. 110 size bike waaay to big for a 3 yr old IMO. I have a 100 for my son and he's 9. Average size, and that bike hauls me around at 200 lbs not bad. Would it be ideal, maybe not but the vids I saw on the website had adults rolling around pretty good

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
in terms of Hp and CCs I built my first kit for a 01 cr125, it was great for ripping around the neighborhood, it did 55mph, just had to keep it on the pipe. I had alot of fun on it and it is what got me hooked on the one ski revolution!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The Ripper and a 110 is just not enough for anything more than a few inches of powder on pretty much flat terrain. I'm talking about something a kid (or small adult) could follow an adult on a full size snowbike around on in the mountains. An 85 size bike with a 121 ten inch wide track would be great.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
2 un 4

I think a little four stroke for this application would be ideal.

An old xr200?

Keeping most of the 85 two's running in terrain and powder might no be fun. Likely better have a tough little 4 wot all day, No one is really making a torquey little two stroke today that I recall.

We have talked about a lowered KDX 200 as a possible candidate. You can make them really run down low with Lectron/radvalve/ port work. Stock it is a full sized frame, no so great for 100 pounders , motor mightwork though with low first and six speed.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I'd be less concerned about the height of a small bike than I would about the weight. Lighter is better, you don't really ever put your feet down anyways and the bikes with a non convex track stand up by themselves virtually always so height becomes less of a factor IMO. Another thing to consider is the kits are designed for full height bikes and as such if you put it on a lower bike you might generate too much ski pressure, I'm not certain on that but just a thought.

M5

Got to agree with this, until proven otherwise.

Go to the Powder Room and ask the girls, they got a thread going over there now.

Get the TW in the summer, just don't think it applies here.

T
Mar 29, 2011
Stateline, NV
I'm running a '16 Mountain Horse ST on my '08 YZ250F. This is my summer trail bike. I didn't have the funds to get a 450 but wanted to take the snow bike plunge nonetheless. I'm a small/light rider (5'7"/150) and am having a blast with the Timbersled kit. Would I like more power? Yes, absolutely; however, this setup does great in the powder and it's really only the steeper terrain where this bike just doesn't have enough grunt. My fiancee is 5'/100 and she's ridden it once and loved it.

The height is going to seem to be a problem for any short person, but I think once you get the hang of the balance when getting on/off the bike the height of the bike isn't such an issue as it will stand on its own with wide ski and track.

Premium Features