• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camcorder Advice

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Hey I searched what a camcorder everyone is using, there was good info but it was 3 years old. I would like to get the best camcorder for the money. Zoom is important as I like to climb. I was like it compact and as inexpensive as possible. I would not rule out used either. Thanks for the info.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey I searched what a camcorder everyone is using, there was good info but it was 3 years old. I would like to get the best camcorder for the money. Zoom is important as I like to climb. I was like it compact and as inexpensive as possible. I would not rule out used either. Thanks for the info.

On here the Contour and GoPro are very popular.

Therer are dozen more out there all in the $200 price range for attaching to helmet or sled etc.

But since you want zoom are you looking for a hand held or remote operation?

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
For me Canon seems to have the best picture for the buck

I shoot mostly with the Canon Vixia HF G10..think it's under 2k now

Its the smallest camera I could fine with the best image quality and decent Optical Zoom. For me size was very important. I wanted a camera I could carry every day that wasn't too bulky...If you always have your camera equipment the chances are greater you will get that good footy.

It is also very lightweight. Don't forgot there is a lot of other heavy equipment you will be carrying as well to get the best shot!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Last season I bought a Canon Vixia HF G10,this is one very nice camera with 10x optical zoom.
It takes real good quality 1080p High Definition and has been very easy to use.
It uses AVCHD so you can do Blue Ray.
Here is a link of vid I shot at Yamafest last season in Revy...

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I would look for answers at a dedicated electronic review site like cnet.com

Canon Vixia HF G10 is now under a grand and is reviewed by cnet as overpriced TODAY because newer models offer more for less.

Just a quick search and it seems about 5 new camcoders come out EVERY month !

So over 50 new camcorders for 2012 !

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/2012-CES-Camcorders.htm

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
that link rates the G10 9.9 out of 10

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HF-G10-Camcorder-Review.htm

be sure to read all the fine print with buying..when everyone is selling for 1499.99 and you find one for 999.99 it is most likely refurbished...or a stripped down model without a battery, cables, etc. There is also a european model that does not come with a warranty

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
that link rates the G10 9.9 out of 10

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HF-G10-Camcorder-Review.htm

be sure to read all the fine print with buying..when everyone is selling for 1499.99 and you find one for 999.99 it is most likely refurbished...or a stripped down model without a battery, cables, etc. There is also a european model that does not come with a warranty

Also it was reviewed on by By Jeremy Stamas February 2, 2011 for the Canon Vixia HF G10 with MSRP of $1,499.99

That is 19 months ago or in camcorder time ... over 130 new models or revisions are out !

The below camcorder was reviewed in Sept 2012 and is compared to the G10

With strong improvements in low light performance and image stabilization, Sony's new HDR-PJ710V is one of the most impressive camcorders we've reviewed this year 2012.

This year we’ve seen a lot of slightly updated camcorders with one or two new features and no substantial improvement to image quality or performance. But the Sony HDR-PJ710V is one product that actually delivers. The camcorder has all the cool features that made the Sony HDR-CX700V great in 2011, but with drastically improved low light performance, better image stabilization, and a built-in projector that was only found on select Sony models last year.

Sony isn’t just giving the HDR-PJ710V away for free, so you have to decide if this better performance is worth the cash. With an initial launch price of $1299 (too high), the camcorder has since dropped to $1149 on Sony’s website. This puts it in roughly the same price range as the Canon HF G10, and just a bit more expensive than the Panasonic HC-X900M. If you have even more cash to blow, Sony does offer a step-up HDR-PJ760V Handycam for $1399. The PJ760V has three times as much internal memory (96GB) and includes an electronic viewfinder—otherwise it’s the same as the HDR-PJ710V.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Canon HF G10 Comparison September 2012

The Canon HF G10 is over a year and a half old at this point, and it may be finally starting to show its age. The HF G10 was such a strong camcorder in 2011 that its reign of supremacy spilled over into 2012 without much getting in its way. The camcorder still has the best low light performance we’ve seen, and its stellar set of manual controls are unmatched in the consumer market.

However, the HF G10 is missing a key feature that is starting to damage its reputation—1080/60p recording. This is a feature that nearly everyone else (JVC, Sony, and Panasonic) have begun implementing on consumer camcorders. Canon was once known to be the king of camcorder frame rate options, which makes the lack of a progressive 60fps mode on its flagship camcorder (and every camcorder in the Vixia line) all that more disappointing. Sure, the HF G10 still has 24p, 30p, and 60i recording, but in the past couple of years Sony has really stepped up the game to compete. The HDR-PJ710V has 24p, 60i, and 60p options, which should please videographers just as much (if not more) than Canon’s options.

The Canon HF G10 is also still a pricey camcorder, despite the fact that it’s a 2011 model. You can find it online for around $1200, which places it a bit higher than the Sony HDR-PJ710V. Let’s be clear: like most flagship models, the HF G10 is a fantastic camcorder. It won our award for Camcorder of the Year in 2011 and if it came out this year it would certainly compete for that award again. But after a year and a half, the HF G10 is starting to feel a bit stale. It doesn’t have a 60p mode, nor does it have a special new feature like WiFi, GPS, or a built-in projector. Canon is at the point where its flagship Vixia is ready for an upgrade.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
camcorder

I can spend a grand, or 1200 just don't want to update for awhile. have no problem with used either. I would like to be as small as possible.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I can spend a grand, or 1200 just don't want to update for awhile. have no problem with used either. I would like to be as small as possible.

You don't want to upgrade for a while ... Good luck !

4K resolution is just starting. Not sure if it becomes the new new thing in resolution standard. I think the new GOPRO is 4K.

If 4k does become the new standard then most all camcorders today will be obsolete in just a few years.

New technology, better resolution and "bells and whistles" are how the industry encourages an upgrade !

wikipedia

Several 4K resolutions exist in digital television and digital cinematography. The name 4K is derived from the horizontal resolution, which is approximately 4,000 pixels. There are currently no video hosting services that allow 4K videos to be streamed. However, YouTube once allowed a maximum resolution of 4096 x 3072 (12.6 megapixels) but in 2012, it lowered the maximum resolution to 2048 x 1536 (3.1 megapixels).

Even the above definition is obsolete since it is yet to be determined today what is the industry standard for 4k

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57364224-221/what-is-4k-next-generation-resolution-explained/

Youtube 4k resolution "samples"

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5BF9E09ECEC8F88F

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
ok so for around 1000 dollars what would you buy? what is the best "bang"for the buck

2011 model Canon Vixia HF G10 for $950. Go to any online camera shop and they will price match. Best manual controls for the money and lighter than SONY HDR-CX760V

or​

2012 model Sony HDR-CX760V for $1200 The sound is 5.1 with wind sound, better picture stabilization, built in projector, internal and external memory, remote control, GPS, wide lens 10X (17X optical), 24.1 megapixels still image recording

There are a few diferences, Sony is larger , the G10 has less still pic features.

On both buy extra batteries and a "filter" kit for about $100. See what else they will throw in like a free case.

AGAIN in a year or less all these will be replaced with 4K resolution camcorders.

This 4k is suppose to be like CCD to CMOS revolution but who knows the hype from reality.

I use this search engine for electronic purchases http://bountii.com

Premium Features