• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha 2020 tank and seat

U
Nov 26, 2007
SW Wyoming
Just noticed the tank is larger on the electric start. I thought the battery was under the tank so it would be smaller. Asked a couple dealers about it and was to told the hgv ace different seat AWD tank, but that's all they knew. Anyone know why the tank us smaller on the manual and differences in the seat?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Tank is smaller on e start. 11.7 on manual and 10.4 on e start because battery goes behind seat. Es seat is taller and longer.
Dealers used to know something. Now they just try to baffle you with bs. That's the difference between a small town dealer, that cat ran off, and big city dealer.

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
The e-start tank is the larger tank, its longer and uses the longer seat, the short mountain seat is only used on the shorter tank.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The e-start tank is the larger tank, its longer and uses the longer seat, the short mountain seat is only used on the shorter tank.
Larger and holds less fuel So, larger and smaller at the same time....

reduce

U
Nov 26, 2007
SW Wyoming
Cat site says 10.4 gallons for manual and 11.7 for electric. If the difference is the seat and tank, is it just a shorter tank on the manual and similar seat. Not sure of the difference in seats. Is the mountain seat lower?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Cat site says 10.4 gallons for manual and 11.7 for electric. If the difference is the seat and tank, is it just a shorter tank on the manual and similar seat. Not sure of the difference in seats. Is the mountain seat lower?
Cat site is retarded.
Manual start has a shorter height and length seat, it also holds 11.7gal.

Electric start has a taller and longer seat that holds 10.3 or 10.4 gal.

reduce

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Cat site is retarded.
Manual start has a shorter height and length seat, it also holds 11.7gal.

Electric start has a taller and longer seat that holds 10.3 or 10.4 gal.

reduce

This is correct. The manual start holds more fuel. If the cat site says otherwise someone needs a kick in the nuts

Snotym

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2016
The printed brochure lists all the sleds. The riots only come in es and use the longer seat/tank/battery and list fuel capacity 11.7 gal.. This is the same setup Cat told me they will use on the alpha es models. It only makes sense that the shorter seat alphas would use the 10.4 gal tank. Seems to be a lot on confusion on this. So what the hell is the right answer????

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The printed brochure lists all the sleds. The riots only come in es and use the longer seat/tank/battery and list fuel capacity 11.7 gal.. This is the same setup Cat told me they will use on the alpha es models. It only makes sense that the shorter seat alphas would use the 10.4 gal tank. Seems to be a lot on confusion on this. So what the hell is the right answer????
I've put 11.3 gal in my short seat Alpha and over 10.6 several times since 2014 short seats came out.

reduce

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
cat really pushes the e-starts it seems. the dealers love to sell em too. they'll tell ya only adds a few pounds, guarantee none of them will tell ya the truth.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose

The larger seat/Tank loses gas space to accommodate the very large battery in the rear seat/tank area

Snotym

Lifetime Membership
Aug 22, 2016
Then why do the riots which come with the longer seats and are estart list 11.7 gal capacity. Cat is not going to make different tanks and seats just for the alphas. Where are the cat moderators, get us the correct info.

jason_hildo

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2010
In the past the electric start/battery seat also had a large cutout in the front to accommodate the 4 stroke engine, they would use the same tank on both 4 stroke and 2 stroke. That plus the battery pocket really cuts into fuel capacity.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Then why do the riots which come with the longer seats and are estart list 11.7 gal capacity. Cat is not going to make different tanks and seats just for the alphas. Where are the cat moderators, get us the correct info.

More than likely the right info has already been stated. Cat has used the same ES fuel tank since 2012 with no advertising that they increased fuel capacity. Cat's literature has had incorrect information on more than one occasion starting about the same time. Cat redesigned the non-ES tanks in 2014 to increase capacity and accept a shorter seat. The confusion comes because it seems like the shorter seat and tank should have the smaller capacity, but that's not the case.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I siphoned my non e-start Alpha empty and it took 46 litres (12.2 gal) to fill. That was right to the neck.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I siphoned my non e-start Alpha empty and it took 46 litres (12.2 gal) to fill. That was right to the neck.
Good info. Thx.
Here is a Bdx 13gallon tank for viewing purposes. I can't comment on the fit or finish as it isn't installed yet. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
f7dfe4f685643e718fc12900dbb0285d.jpg

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose

Because sadly Cats information is wrong a lot, same E start tank since 2012
made for the four stroke with battery in trunk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
quite possible we're all wrong and neither have a 10. tank. seen an 18ES put 11 gallons in.
heck, maybe they even slipped the lightweight version in that was advertised in February of 2017, and didn't say a word. anything goes with cat!

Premium Features