• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Water Ingestion fixed?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
So is this water ingestion situation improved or completely remedied on the 2019 sleds? I've sealed my '18 MC everywhere, greased the gasket at the bottom and still has water in the intake area. Not a ton, but definitely there. Dealer sealed the crap out of it twice as well. Can't fathom that it's getting in through the box at this point so wondering about the seal. Anyway, is the '19 better? should a guy expect the '20 to be better? Love this sled. Hate to fight an issue like this but really don't want to go back to an Axys and can't stand the Doo so curious what people have experienced...

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
So is this water ingestion situation improved or completely remedied on the 2019 sleds? I've sealed my '18 MC everywhere, greased the gasket at the bottom and still has water in the intake area. Not a ton, but definitely there. Dealer sealed the crap out of it twice as well. Can't fathom that it's getting in through the box at this point so wondering about the seal. Anyway, is the '19 better? should a guy expect the '20 to be better? Love this sled. Hate to fight an issue like this but really don't want to go back to an Axys and can't stand the Doo so curious what people have experienced...

No. The only difference from 2018 to 2019 is in the upper intake area, the rest of the intake is the same and still problematic.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Is there an aftermarket fix? What does skinz do with their hood and intake? Haven't looked at mine or touched it. To be honest, I've never taken the hood off it. Needed to put a new kill switch in but we were going on a trip and I didn't want to chance me screwing up the air box the day we were leaving. Found out mine sucks in really deep powder. Brush off intake and it instantly clears up.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
There are still issues on the 19. If you have sealed all of that up then the water in yours is the result of condensation from combining warm and cold air. Really the only other option is to install a frogskin or screen in front of the throttle bodies if you are worried about what you are still getting.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've sealed, siliconed and greased but still get a just a little water as evidenced by very small water droplets beaded up on the oil in the intake boot just before the air goes into the throttle bodies....i'm not thinking it's too big of a problem at this point, i can remember in the days of carburetors, we frequently rode with no hoods and no filters of any kind on the carbs...i know we had to ingest much more snow that what's coming through these intakes, and rarely had any problem, although we ran pre-mix oil and gas, which probably kept the pistons lubricated....which is part of the reason i run 1 oz of oil per gallon of gas in the tank of my alpha...:face-icon-small-sho

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
I agree. They are fussy, you need to make sure it is installed correctly. Also there are a couple seems that could use some sealing. Also they are vulnerable to getting damaged from hitting trees! Ect. A small crack or hole or a separation on a seam from impact can cause snow ingestion.
Other than that I believe condensation is a what everyone sees when they take there hood off. Not much you can do about that. We are going to try the defender kit. Mountain fit hoods. Prefilter on intake that will be a extra precaution.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks guys. I may try the BDX induction kit. Saves 8 lbs and should solve the snow burial problem...hopefully eliminates condensation issue as it's more in the nose....haven't wasted any money on my sled this week so I'm overdue anyway.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Thanks guys. I may try the BDX induction kit. Saves 8 lbs and should solve the snow burial problem...hopefully eliminates condensation issue as it's more in the nose....haven't wasted any money on my sled this week so I'm overdue anyway.

I've been curious about if the BDX hood has a better fit to the intake in-front-of the throttle bodies than stock. Haven't ever heard feedback on that from anyone that's run one.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Bdx uses stock intake front. So same fit. It does plug up in deep wet snow. Stock intake did not have issues that day. I’m sure most conditions it will work fine.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Leak is here....
da33635f543e01c3de9a0220ecaa5da3.jpg
71acc62ee4b167606acd3d24052c1653.jpg
ffd32b89f32baa227f218120d01fcd1f.jpg
3873d05878b90c952a5533012c8327c1.jpg

Lähetetty minun Armor_3 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Premium Features