• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 - 700 Won't. Start!!

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Looking for some thoughts on this. Went out today to start the old 700 for the first time this year. Primary moves freely by hand but won't pull over (just like hitting a brick wall) - couple times it did kind of pull over and seemed like it wanted to start but just made a loud noise and quit. Worked fine when i put up for the winter!!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Sounds like hydraulic lock, center crank seals could have leaked a bunch of oil into the crank case over the summer. Did you notice that the oil level is down?
You could pull the spark plugs and see if (a) it's easier to pull over, (b) if oil spurts out of the plug holes.

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Oil level was low - I'll try to pull over with the plugs out. What's the fix for this - afraid the engine/crank might be toast!!:face-icon-small-sho

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Didn't seem like there was any oil coming out of the plug holes but plugs did seem like they were really coated with oil - even alittle thick.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
There's other things to look for on no-starts, but because you described difficulty pulling it over, I think we need to find the source of this resistance. Since it pulls over easier with the plugs out it sounds like a compression related resistance. This can be hydraulically locking cylinders from an excess of oil or coolant in the cases / combustion chambers from a leak, or possibly a blockage of the exhaust system... but its difficult to diagnose through a keyboard.

To run with, and check for what I initially suspected (cases full of oil) here's what I would do:
-Remove spark plugs, tip sled on it's side or even a little beyond, pull the cord and see if a large amount of oil comes out the plug holes. This will only prove that there is excess oil in the cases.... or not.

Did this engine get 2 stroke oil dumped in it as end of season maint last spring?
Is it possible too much was poured in?
Are you pretty sure the oil bottle level is lower than it was when you parked it in storage?
Is the coolant bottle still full?

Checking for center crank seal leaks is best done with a leak-down tester, but some do it by filling the oil bottle and letting the sled sit and see if the level drops.

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks for all your input - it has been great. I have an appt at the dealer on Thurs to have it looked at. I always like to throw any issues out there on this forum because it usually gives me something to go on and give them somewhere to start - I'm still open for suggerstions.

Only small amount of oil was used that I'm sure of but not sure what the oil level was at end of year - coolant level is still good!!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Good luck at the shop, I hope they solve your problem promptly and affordably. In the interest of helping others in the future, please let us know how everything turns out!

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Sounds like hydraulic lock, center crank seals could have leaked a bunch of oil into the crank case over the summer. Did you notice that the oil level is down?
You could pull the spark plugs and see if (a) it's easier to pull over, (b) if oil spurts out of the plug holes.

If this is the issue would that mean the crank is a goner??

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
So it turned out to be not nearly as bad as I expected. The sled wasn't used much last winter and was in stotage prob a total of 10 months up to now. Seems the oil pump was open a fraction either over adjusted, cable stretched etc and a fair amount of oil leaked down thru the machine and into the base - cleaned out the oil and away we go - all's good!!!

Premium Features